Leaving the church over a "false conversion"

  • Thread starter Thread starter JackFlash
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JackFlash

Guest
I went over to a friend’s house today and I noticed a shelf he keeps his religious items on was bare. I asked where he put them and he told me that he had boxed it all up and put in to storage.

I asked him why, and he said that he has decided to leave the church over what he thinks is his “false conversion.”

He converted when he was younger and has been on and off with his attendance many times over the years I’ve known him. He seems frustrated and finally fed-up. I don’t really know what to say to him.
 
Last edited:
True. He didn’t chuck everything into the garbage, he put it into the attic.

Still… hard to watch.
 
Sounds like it may’ve been false. But he should have some knowledge now, and when it becomes important in the future he may find out that while the conversion was shallow, the faith itself is nonetheless deep and vast and necessary to answer the questions that should eventually arise within the human heart
 
Last edited:
I wonder if he is wrestling with the question Is salvation a feeling. That’s a difficult one. After all, human feelings change.
 
Sounds like it may’ve been false.
I think it’s his on-and-off again relationship with the church. I know he had been away from Mass for a few months, but had started coming back in more recent weeks. He went to confession yesterday and had some kind of bad experience there. I don’t want to dig into it though so I don’t know what happened.
 
’ Lord, to whom shall we go ? You have the words of eternal life.’ John 6:68
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top