Lector needs help! How do I pronounce this word?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yellowbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
First thank your Brenda V. for your kind welcome. I was not meaning to scold as much as I was trying to get ppl who are lectors or are wanting to become lectors to understand it is more than just reading infrount of ppl. I have as well as I am sure most of us here have listened to the monotone and could barely hear the lector I have traved to other parishes out of town and heard some great lectors as well as some not so good lectors.
I have heard ppl tell me it is easy to be a lector but when they get up there they find it not so easy.
At our parish they give us lectors a book that has all the readings for all the sunday masses as well as the holy days. It is the lectors book that has all the correct ways to pronounce the words. And some ppl that we have as lectors are not called on as much as some of the others because the parish wants ppl who will commit to be prepared. It is not a good sign when they are reading there reading right b4 the mass I have heard father ask them if they have read it b4 and when they say yes and then get up there and stumble all over the reading I never saw or heard them speak again.
Like i mentioned b4 eairler the sports caster on the news thought how hard could it be???
Well he found out how hard and embarassing it can be when he was not even on the right reading and father had to go over to him and tell him he was not on the right reading. All because he talks for a living he did not think it would not be very hard to do neeedless to say he has not lectored again and finally went to a different parish I hope he has learned his leason and if he trys to lector again he will be prepared. I would think that everyone here would appericate what I am trying to convey since most ppl only hear the lector speak and it is the two reading and the gospel that the Preist uses mainly in his homily.
In my lector book it tell you which word to stress and how to read the passage. and then it gives you background on what you are reading. as well as the 2nd reading and the gospel. and they all lead up to the gospel I think.
So please forgive me I was not trying to scold anyone just make everyone aware of the great responsibility of being a lector. and if you have ever heard a great lector they make it look easy but it is far from easy considering the book you read from does not have the wording and the stresses and how to read it it is just written word you will read and the only ay you will know how to read or stress the words is if you have read it over and over 25 times a day every day for at least one week before the reading during the mass.😃 I have found that most preist wants ppl who will take the job of a lector seriously because i think it helps them or makes their job eaiser. And I find the assembly appericate a great lector because they can understand them. I not sure abou tyou but I hate it when I hear or can barely hear a lector because the are scared to death to speak in frount of a large crowd. I find that mainly due to poor preperation. At least the one who posted for help was getting prepared b4 the mass. I just not understand why she not have a book of lectoring our parish gives them to all of us regular lectors and the ones who are trying it out for the first time they make a copy and tell them to study it b4 hand. We just lost one of our great lectors due to her surgery tuesday and she be out for a month and she will be missed very much.
SO thank you for you welcoming me again I was just trying to help anyone who was wanting to be a lector or try to be a lector in letting everyone know what most parishes want from them. Not sure about the lectoring book I have but mine has all the hard words and it has the online dictionary including a biblical one too.
Well have a great holiday and a very Happy New year.
Sincerely yours in Christ,🙂
 
Wow! I can’t imagine looking forward to it. When I see my name on the schedule I sort of get this feeling of uggggg. Which is silly because I’m trying not to brag here a good public speaker. I speak very loudly and clearly and after I’ve lectored I often have total strangers come up and tell me I did a good job. So what’s the problem? I’m nervous. I don’t enjoy it in the least… and I’m THRILLED when I’m finished. It’s why I like to be lector #1 because I can listen to the homily and not be all worried about getting up there to do the prayers. So I wonder if I should just bow out - but I feel like speaking is truly a gift so it’s it proper to use it in His service? Or maybe it’s better to bow out because I can do other things that I’d actually enjoy and leave the lectoring to those who love it… ??

To Lector or Not to Lector… that is the question. lol.
WOW My take on it is if you are good at it and it sounds like you are then do it for I think someone did say the one they get to replace you may not be as good. There is a man in his 80’s who is always tryin got get me too lector cause he can hear and understand me. My self I look forward to it as long as I have at least one week to prepare and pray over it for to me it is not about me but our HOLY GOD and his HOLY WORD.
That being said They put me on new years eve readin gand then New years day reading and they are different reading and then they have me on the sat regular mass so I am not looking forward to it but the preist did say it would try to get some one to fill in on the new years day one so It may be eaiser on me.
It was like on the Vigil mass of Christmass I was to do the 2nd reading and I always get there 30 to 45 mn early so I have tim eo tcheck out the book and make sure it on the right page and spend the rest of the time in prayer and the preist tell me come here and he puts his arm around me and tell me he going to throw me a curve ball and we are going ot use the midnight mass readings said it fit better in his homily and I say ok I ask him why he change it on me since he know I spend so much tim epreparing the reading and he tell me because he knows I can handle it for it not really me the one who is speaking lol. I spent the rest of the 35 min I had left to study it I carry my lector book everywhere I know crazy huh but it was a good service. and there were so many ppl there ppl were standing on the sides of the walls and they had the chapel packed too standing room only.
But yeah I love to lector and let GOD speak thur me lol:D

ANd for the guy who doing the cantoring wow you must be very good lol I know I not be able to do it lol I gues we all have are callings lol
May OUR LORD GOD BLESS EVERYONE and have a very merry NEW YEAR:D
BUt I would say if you are that fearful o fit then spend alot of tim ein prayer and maybe seek the counsel of your preist lol and maybe he will tell you that he wants you to stay a lector lol they are hard to find lol:thumbsup:
 
I wish I didn’t worry about whether or not I get the pronounciation perfectly… it drives my husband nuts because he insists people aren’t critically hanging onto every single word. … like you, he insists if I read it with confidence, nobody will notice an occasional mispronounciation.

I’m a convert though so my fear is that I will mispronounce a word that is so clearly OBVIOUS to everyone but me. Like maybe every single Catholic but me knows how to correctly say Pisidia?

I agree with you 0217701 ~ prayer is key. I always ask God that everyone would not notice me at all… just His words and when I do that, it takes the pressure off me and I’m not as freaked out that I’ll trip on the way up or that I’ll accidently say or do something embarassing…

I’m still a somewhat nervous lector though… It’s not something I “enjoy.” I wonder if other lectors “enjoy” their job? RSD … do you really look forward to lectoring?
MYself I really look forward to lectoring as long s I have 1 week to prepare lol and sometimes I not get that one week cause someone will forget or not even show up and now I always read and practice all the reading now even when i not scheduled to read that way I am always prepared, but I beleive the key is prayerful preperation and asking GOD to speak thur you. Not sure if you have the yellow lector work book
SO for anyone who wants on I will give you the details and I am sure you rparish can get it for you lol united states edition RNAB 2010
Workbook for Lectors, Gospel Readers, and Proclaimers of the Word.
Year C 2010

Liturgy Training Publications
3949 South Racine Avenue
Chicago Il 60609
phone number 1800-933-1800
email orders@ltp.org,
www.LTP.org
Hope this will help anyone who is lectoring with out a book 👍 l
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top