M
mafh
Guest
In a recent Catholic Answers post, the apologist stated that a lady (age 20) who had been dating a gentleman for two years really shouldn’t be in this relationship in the first place since a potential marriage was still a couple years down the road.
This is the post:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=722345
I was really taken aback by this answer. Does Catholicism really frown on long courtships?
I know plenty of people who have successful marriages after brief courtships – my in-laws married after only a couple months of being introduced, for example – but there are also plenty of people, like me, who have long courtships before equally successful marriages. My husband and I dated for 6 years, but this is mostly because we were young (16 and 17 respectively) when we started dating.
So, what do you think? How long was your courtship, and what do you think is the ideal?
This is the post:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=722345
I was really taken aback by this answer. Does Catholicism really frown on long courtships?
I know plenty of people who have successful marriages after brief courtships – my in-laws married after only a couple months of being introduced, for example – but there are also plenty of people, like me, who have long courtships before equally successful marriages. My husband and I dated for 6 years, but this is mostly because we were young (16 and 17 respectively) when we started dating.
So, what do you think? How long was your courtship, and what do you think is the ideal?