Lent and mental health

  • Thread starter Thread starter flufflepuff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flufflepuff

Guest
I’m trying to work on grace and love for lent. This is challenging for me as i’m in outpatient mental healthcare and have always had an apathetic attitude towards the world so i’m having to deal with mental problems as well as work on things for lent. Any advice?
 
Start with small things…but even before you start pray for the Grace to have a more compassionate heart. Little things done out of Love for God are pleasing to Him.

It can be very small. Say an Our Father and three Hail Mary’s in a sincere and devout way for Our Lady’s intentions, or for the Holy Souls in Purgatory that have no one to pray for them, or for priests and religious most in need. Work your way up.

Go to some homeless shelter and ask if you can help in some very small way. They welcome volunteers.

Hold the door for people even. Just little things. Make up a list of very small things you can start with and work up from there.
 
I know from my own experience that if it wasn’t for God, my mental illness probably would have swallowed me up by now. There are several mental health charities one can donate to, I will provide a couple of links but this may be exclusive to the UK.

SAMH
Anxiety Alliance
The Samaritans
Breathing Space.
 
Each of us responds as best we can to the Lord. Do what you are able to do to turn your mind to what God wants for you in this life. Make any sacrifice that you are able to do and offer up your suffering up to God.

Remember that God knows where you are in your life, He knows how you suffer and He knows what you need, trust in Him and he will respond in kind.

Prayers and blessings,
 
Each of us responds as best we can to the Lord. Do what you are able to do to turn your mind to what God wants for you in this life. Make any sacrifice that you are able to do and offer up your suffering up to God.

Remember that God knows where you are in your life, He knows how you suffer and He knows what you need, trust in Him and he will respond in kind.

Prayers and blessings,
I have often heard it said by very well informed Catholics that suffering is indeed one of the most powerful ministries in the Church. Looking at a crucifix and meditating on it is the perfect example, and is also a form of penance we could do for lent.

Yes, “offer it up”…This in not a trite phrase. There is much truth in it.
 
I also am being treated as an outpatient for mental illness. I know the feeling of how hard it is to see any fruit of our smallest actions. For lent, maybe I can challenge both of us to see ourselves as God sees us. We are His beloved children, and in the end that’s all that matters. (Not to discount what the others have said. As you grow into your faith, you will find other ways of serving God.)
 
It’s hard, but what gets me is how giving everyone is. I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I have anxiety issues on top of PTSD and depression so many things are hard, but some of the parishoners are noticing me. I get these subtle waves from what looks like some of the kids one of the sister teaches. Wonder if she asked for people to pray for me.
 
I’m trying to work on grace and love for lent. This is challenging for me as i’m in outpatient mental healthcare and have always had an apathetic attitude towards the world so i’m having to deal with mental problems as well as work on things for lent. Any advice?
What is something you wish you could “learn to love?” An enemy? Someone who really isn’t your enemy but is annoying and/or controlling and may even be preventing you from doing things you could probably do if they weren’t involved, for example? Or people who do terrible things that we all hear about in the news maybe?

That would be one place to start, if you’re trying to grow in love. Find something you have trouble “loving” now, however far you want to take it limit-wise (I mean there are some pretty “difficult” people to love in some opinions) and coming up with ways to learn to love it.

Anyway maybe I’m just saying to pick some specific goals or “targets” as starting places. It could be someone you know, or someone you don’t know but have only heard about.
 
I’m also a mental health patient. I’ve found a lot of strength by meditating on Psalm 139 and by frequenting the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The Lord has also put in my path good therapists who talk with me and doctors who have prescribed the right medications for me.

I don’t know you so I can only share what I’m doing. For Lent this year I’m adding more prayer and spiritual reading. I’m maintaining my Confession schedule, my medications, and my weekly therapy sessions.
 
What is something you wish you could “learn to love?” An enemy? Someone who really isn’t your enemy but is annoying and/or controlling and may even be preventing you from doing things you could probably do if they weren’t involved, for example? Or people who do terrible things that we all hear about in the news maybe?

That would be one place to start, if you’re trying to grow in love. Find something you have trouble “loving” now, however far you want to take it limit-wise (I mean there are some pretty “difficult” people to love in some opinions) and coming up with ways to learn to love it.

Anyway maybe I’m just saying to pick some specific goals or “targets” as starting places. It could be someone you know, or someone you don’t know but have only heard about.
I’m also a mental health patient. I’ve found a lot of strength by meditating on Psalm 139 and by frequenting the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The Lord has also put in my path good therapists who talk with me and doctors who have prescribed the right medications for me.

I don’t know you so I can only share what I’m doing. For Lent this year I’m adding more prayer and spiritual reading. I’m maintaining my Confession schedule, my medications, and my weekly therapy sessions.
There are a few people who lead me to be the mental shipwreck I am, those people I can never have good feelings for, most I can do is just move on. Honestly if I saw them being hit by a car I would do nothing. After the stuff I had to go through even my therapist said the best thing I can do in this case is just move on.
 
There are a few people who lead me to be the mental shipwreck I am, those people I can never have good feelings for, most I can do is just move on. Honestly if I saw them being hit by a car I would do nothing. After the stuff I had to go through even my therapist said the best thing I can do in this case is just move on.
OH yeah, those kind of people. Yeah, sometimes I just have to start with the “they know not what they do” model and work from there. 😃

Seriously though some people have messed me up pretty badly, so it seemed. Ultimately now that I’m better I can look back and see how meeting the challenge of having to, shall I say, “breathe the same air as they do” and living through it has helped – kind of like the old saying “what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.” Clinging to Rom 8:28 somehow figuring it would eventually work out, but that didn’t make it any easier at the time.

My own shrink made me quit all parish leadership committees because the people on those committees and their hypocrisy as I perceived it was driving me nuts. Luckily under a difference pastor now, I was treated as important rather than a leper the last pastor had to put up with, and that was greatly helpful in my getting better. Strange thing is that I wouldn’t have realized how great my pastor is – if I hadn’t the experience of the previous one. :rolleyes:

A couple strategies I used for a couple of them was to imagine them before God, trying to explain to God why they didn’t listen to me, or treated me a certain way, or whatever. “Why did you not listen to so-and-so when (s)he kept telling you the Truth?” I imagined as they stumbled trying to give God some silly excuses – stripped of the worldly authority or the “hat they wear” to the point where they have to explain it to someone they can’t lie to and get away with it just because they can get away with it. And strangely, I actually started feeling sorry for them as I imagined them squirming before their questions.

I felt how sorry it must be, to be them, and having to explain to God why they acted the way they did. It didn’t make what they were doing seem any better, but it did give me a chance to imagine them in a situation where I can actually feel some pity for them, and “regret their sins on their behalf” if you know what I mean. Eventually I’m trying to get to where I just feel pity for them in the first place because I honestly believe they are really not very happy at all. They make look good or have money or influence or whatever, but they just seem so hollow like you could blow across them and hear them make sounds like a didgeridoo or something. 😦

At one point there were certain coworkers who were benefiting from things they shouldn’t be – essentially stealing IMO but nothing I could do to prove or do anything without empowering the wrong people – and that was before I read the Bible hardly at all, but I did find some comfort in this, especially the part I bolded:

Prov 4
10 Hear, my son, and receive my words,
and the years of your life shall be many.

11 On the way of wisdom I direct you,
I lead you on straight paths.

12 When you walk, your step will not be impeded,
and should you run, you will not stumble.

13 Hold fast to instruction, never let it go;
keep it, for it is your life.

**14 The path of the wicked do not enter,
nor walk in the way of the evil;

15 Shun it, do not cross it,
turn aside from it, pass on.**

16 For they cannot rest unless they have done evil;
if they do not trip anyone they lose sleep.

17 For they eat the bread of wickedness
and drink the wine of violence.

18 But the path of the just is like shining light,
that grows in brilliance till perfect day.

19 The way of the wicked is like darkness;
they do not know on what they stumble.

MS
 
It’s hard, but what gets me is how giving everyone is. I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I have anxiety issues on top of PTSD and depression so many things are hard, but some of the parishoners are noticing me. I get these subtle waves from what looks like some of the kids one of the sister teaches. Wonder if she asked for people to pray for me.
So, depression and PTSD as well. Yes, that makes it more difficult. I have Major depression, OCD, anxiety disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. Right now I’ trying to deal with a couple of things that have set off some of that. You say you’re under treatment. Ask your doctor if there is a group that does the WRAP bit. It might help. Oh, that’s the Wellness Recovery Action Plan. It’s meant to help you to look at yourself and ask some things like, what are your symptoms when you are ill, what are your triggers, and other stuff like that. It helps you get an action plan in place for when you “relapse.” In the groups I’m in, and other groups I’ve been in, there have been talks about how someone with a mental illness, who seems to be doing so well, can relapse. But with the right “tools” and support of those around you, you can make these times to be not as bad. And to realize that you can get better again.
 
I have clinically diagnosed OCD and anxiety. I’m on two medications. I have gone through severe depression, especially right before I was confirmed in 2013 at the Easter Vigil. It comes back every now and then. I was blessed to have two patient priests (a parish priest and his weekend assistant) who worked with me for months to help with my scrupulosity (the parish priest, my confessor, even told me I’m not scrupulous but obsessive-compulsive, and that my condition wasn’t spiritual but medical). The parish priest is now my confessor.

My own opinion is not to do overdo Lent if you’re coming out of a dark place. Yes, Lent is important, but don’t overdo it in your condition. A spiritual director might be a good idea. If I had tried to do too much during Lent when I was severely depressed it wouldn’t have turned out well. Instead, I just didn’t have meat on Fridays. But that’s just me.
 
It sounds to me like you’re going through a lot right now, so I would go easy on the mortifications. A human being can only take so much. If the circumstances of your life are basically one big mortification (your treatment and recovery), don’t be cruel to yourself by adding more to the pile! You are already suffering.

Further, there’s a great quote from St. Faustina’s dairy where Christ says to her, “My daughter, know that you give Me greater glory by a single act of obedience, than by long prayers and mortifications.”

For more quotes: divinemercyteam.org/jesus_speaks.html

So by hanging in there and remaining as cheerful and trusting as possible while recovering from your illness–in other words, obediently submitting to God’s providence–you are giving Christ great glory.

Now. For things you can “give up” for Lent. How about giving up whatever less-than-interesting ideas you have about who God is, and reconnect with God as the God of desire. This will help you be less apathetic. Yes, desire, when enjoyed in accordance with God’s will (e.g no drunken orgies!!) is a gift from God. It is God-like. God is absolute Eros (desire) as well as absolute Agape (self-sacrificial love). He has Eros love for His Son, and for us. The Trinity is a community of persons who desire each other intensely. This is a profound mystery, but it’s worth contemplating a bit. For this reason, when you feel desire–the inspiring, joyful, life-affirming, incentivizing kind–you are experiencing Eros, and that is indeed God like, it’s a share in the divine life. The desire (Eros) you have for anything…a favorite song, a person, ice cream, traveling, whatever. It’s good and it comes from God, and is meant to be enjoyed responsibly. If life or love doesn’t have Eros, it’s missing something. It’s missing a facet that would make it more God-like.

So…try this Lent to rediscover or nurture the desires of your heart. What are the little things you enjoy doing? Is there something you like to cook or bake? Maybe time in nature? Is there an instrument you’ve ever wanted to try, or a book you’ve been wanting to read? Maybe you’d enjoy having more time with friends, or time to watch a good TV show. In other words, have more fun. Bring more Eros into your life. Bring more God into your life.

For more on God as Eros and Pope Benedict XVI’s encyclical on this very topic, check out:
catholic.com/magazine/articles/god-of-desire
 
You may not feel the emotion of love towards some (or most people) and that’s ok; it doesn’t mean you can’t love them. You can love a person without liking him, and while intending never to see him again…

Just say a small prayer that they soften their heart, let God in, recognize wrongdoing and give some restitution to the world for the bad things they’ve done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top