Normally, I fast during Lent. One meal a day is very beneficial spiritually, and prayer and sacrifice make it an enriching experience. But this year, one of the biggest struggles in my mind is the fact that I know I shouldn’t do my normal fast. I’ve been suffering from severe depression, and routinely stop eating because of the mental illness; I’m basically required to eat multiple times a day now, and that’s honestly harder for me now than fasting used to be. So this year, Lent is going to be a different kind of humility. It’s a greater sacrifice for me to choose to eat a meal than to give it up.
Humility is really the word that is defining my Lenten outlook this year. I’m really having to learn to submit myself to God, and to allow myself to feel His love. I’m trying to do little things like wear a chapel veil as an outside sign of humility and practice submitting to others around me as an inward struggle. Depression is very difficult lately, and I feel God has a lesson for me to learn throughout all of this.
Giving something up for Lent is what we tend to grow up hearing (for cradle Catholics), but as I’ve been getting older, I’m beginning to discover that it’s more important for me personally to find a way to grow. Things I can do in order to draw myself closer to Him. Whether that’s giving up your coffee or adding a rosary to your daily prayers or actively recognizing your personal limits, it’s such a personal journey.