Lent penances

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eruvande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eruvande

Guest
If you are only able to follow your Lenten fast for a few days, is it acceptable to lay it down and take something else up? I gave up coffee and only managed a week before the terrible, terrible headache made my family beg me to drink a cup for some relief (Which I did and experienced almost instant relief).

I feel like I failed, though with hindsight I clearly decided on fast that wasn’t very sensible.
 
Sure. You can choose anything else that you want to do.

Some people decide to do things that are not food-related during Lent.

For example, they may decide to go to Mass more often, if they only go on Saturday Evening or Sundays. They may decide to go an extra day or two during the week.

Or, you may decide to go to Adoration, or add in more prayer time or some spiritual reading, for example.

Or maybe give up watching a favorite TV show/shows, and so on. These are just some other examples that I am putting out there for you, of some other things that can be done.

God bless you. 🙂
 
If you are only able to follow your Lenten fast for a few days, is it acceptable to lay it down and take something else up? I gave up coffee and only managed a week before the terrible, terrible headache made my family beg me to drink a cup for some relief (Which I did and experienced almost instant relief).

I feel like I failed, though with hindsight I clearly decided on fast that wasn’t very sensible.
Fasting is only required two days a year - Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. All other fasting is voluntary so you can stop, start, change whatever and whenever you want. Voluntary fasting over extended periods should only be undertaken by someone in good health and its best to consult a doctor before embarking on this.
 
If you are only able to follow your Lenten fast for a few days, is it acceptable to lay it down and take something else up? I gave up coffee and only managed a week before the terrible, terrible headache made my family beg me to drink a cup for some relief (Which I did and experienced almost instant relief).

I feel like I failed, though with hindsight I clearly decided on fast that wasn’t very sensible.
If your intent was to give up coffee…could you not drink less than you normally do? Enough to keep you from your headaches? Perhaps, then, little by little you could accomplish your goal without labeling yourself a failure…

Just a thought…
 
You might try giving up sweets, pastry, and junk food.

Here is one that is tough…always say something nice or don’t say it at all.

And on the scale of toughness, a 10…drink a gallon of water every day, except Sunday.
or cut that in half…72 ounces, nine 8oz glasses a day.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
 
I was fasting every Friday, but I had to end it because I was becoming very lightheaded. My new penance is to love God more and more each and every day. It’s actually fun to worship God while in deep Contemplative Prayer. This is where God wants me to be, so it seems.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top