Lent, the Holy Spirit and Convictions

  • Thread starter Thread starter CRATUS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CRATUS

Guest
This Lent, the Holy Spirit has convicted of a lot of my sins. I am very overwhelmed. I have cried at least four times, after confession or a convicting homily. Some people say it is God’s grace that He shows your errors. For me there seems to be A LOT to change. Where do I begin? Part of me wants to just run back to my old sins because it is comfortable living that way. In all honesty, who wants to believe they are a liar, fornicator, gossiper, ungrateful, self-absorbed, whiny, nosy, attention-seeking, immature, envious, vain person?
I become upset that other people are not as bad as me. Or I become upset that other people are worse but they seem to be happier than me. Another sin, do not compare yourself to other people.

It is tempting to give up. I guess I am just looking for words of encouragement or advice. I wonder if the rest of my life will be like this as well.
In the end I guess we are all sinners.
 
Welcome to the club of sinners. We all struggle with sins, often the same ones over and over so you are not alone. My priest said one day near the end of Lent, “How are those Lenten promises going?” If you are thinking not so good you are not alone. However where sin abounds grace abounds all the more.

Realize you are loved immensely by God and he understands our struggle so do the best you can, go to confession and trust in the mercy and forgiveness of God. Also, with God all things are possible.

Mary.
 
This Lent, the Holy Spirit has convicted of a lot of my sins. I am very overwhelmed. I have cried at least four times, after confession or a convicting homily. Some people say it is God’s grace that He shows your errors. For me there seems to be A LOT to change. Where do I begin? Part of me wants to just run back to my old sins because it is comfortable living that way. In all honesty, who wants to believe they are a liar, fornicator, gossiper, ungrateful, self-absorbed, whiny, nosy, attention-seeking, immature, envious, vain person?
I become upset that other people are not as bad as me. Or I become upset that other people are worse but they seem to be happier than me. Another sin, do not compare yourself to other people.

It is tempting to give up. I guess I am just looking for words of encouragement or advice. I wonder if the rest of my life will be like this as well.
In the end I guess we are all sinners.
Please don’t give up. That’s Satan trying to draw you back into your old life of sin. Trust Jesus, He died for you so you know how important it is to follow HIM. Jesus LOVES you, Satan doesn’t. Don’t worry about your past or what other people are or aren’t doing. Concentrate on here and now in your life and feel the peace that comes with being out of the chains of sin. That’s true freedom. Go to Confession as often as necessary to keep yourself in the state of grace and never get discouraged. It will take time to replace your old ways with new virtues.Try to get acquainted with those that do practice their faith. New friends. I had a neighbor move in next to me and when I learned she was a fallen away Catholic, I started to gradually talk with her and eventually I invited her to go to Mass with me and she did. To make a long story short, her husband became interested and her adult son also and they all came into the Church. Years later, Her husband died with a priest at his side. Remember the old saying, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Prayers for you and God Bless, Memaw
 
Go to Confession once a week. Without fail. Attend Mass and receive Communion at least twice a week. Without fail. Pray often, including the Rosary. Without fail. Over time, this will conquer your attachment to sin. I speak from experience.

Every time we sincerely confess our sins,our attachment to them is weakened. Even if they are the same ones over and over, provided our heart is in the right place and we resolve to turn away from sin,
 
Welcome to the club of sinners. We all struggle with sins, often the same ones over and over so you are not alone. My priest said one day near the end of Lent, “How are those Lenten promises going?” If you are thinking not so good you are not alone. However where sin abounds grace abounds all the more.

Realize you are loved immensely by God and he understands our struggle so do the best you can, go to confession and trust in the mercy and forgiveness of God. Also, with God all things are possible.

Mary.
Thanks for your answer. It can be quite painful to see yourself for who you are. Your wants and wishes are not even real.They are all just illusions. Every one’s walk with Christ is different. God is more sympathetic to some and kinder and others. Some people carry a lot of sins, while others carry a little, they hardly need reprimanding or chastisement. If I feel this bad for not sinning, why don’t I just sin anyways?
 
Would you rather become painfully aware of these things now, while you have time to make amends, or become far, far more painfully aware at your hour of death? Purgatory ain’t no picnic, and we all know the other alternative is infinitely worse.

Happy is the man whom God chastises! For he wounds but He binds up; He smites, but His hands give healing.
 
Would you rather become painfully aware of these things now, while you have time to make amends, or become far, far more painfully aware at your hour of death? Purgatory ain’t no picnic, and we all know the other alternative is infinitely worse.

Happy is the man whom God chastises! For he wounds but He binds up; He smites, but His hands give healing.
Really? Because I have been lonely and depressed for the past three days. There is no happiness here anyways. I have yet to see heaven, hell or purgatory, yet I am supposed to believe it.
 
This Lent, the Holy Spirit has convicted of a lot of my sins. I am very overwhelmed. I have cried at least four times, after confession or a convicting homily. Some people say it is God’s grace that He shows your errors. For me there seems to be A LOT to change. Where do I begin? Part of me wants to just run back to my old sins because it is comfortable living that way. In all honesty, who wants to believe they are a liar, fornicator, gossiper, ungrateful, self-absorbed, whiny, nosy, attention-seeking, immature, envious, vain person?
I become upset that other people are not as bad as me. Or I become upset that other people are worse but they seem to be happier than me. Another sin, do not compare yourself to other people.

It is tempting to give up. I guess I am just looking for words of encouragement or advice. I wonder if the rest of my life will be like this as well.
In the end I guess we are all sinners.
sorry, but, your point is…?

The fact is: that nothing human beings can do or have done, will change the truth about God.
 
Sorry, but in case I am not sure; it sounds like you are doing the Examen which St Ignatius instigated. Remember God’s love, inspite of your sins, & remember first of all on a daily basis all the good things God has given you. & dont complain: when you realise first of all to see God in all things, you realise you dont really have that much to complain about.
Unless you are doing the Examen, I dont really understand.
How would you like it if everyone else in your life knew your sins & accused you of such; or rather just laughed behind your back? That would be embarassing. Accusing yourself in private is much better, no?
Be thankful to God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top