Lent

• Thread starter Thread starter Pete_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete_1

I live in the UK, does anyone have any information on what a Catholic is required to do through lent (including special days such as ash wednesday)

Sorry, if this is in the wrong forum.

This is how it is in the US. I imagine it is similar in the UK. Basically, the rule is:

Ash Wednesday & Good Friday: Fasting AND Abstinence.
Every other Friday in Lent: Abstinence only

Fasting: Applies to those age 18-59. One full meal with two smaller meals that together do not equal the larger meal. No snacks in between. Coffee, tea, and water are okay.

Abstinence: Applies to those age 14 and up. No eating meat. Fish is okay.

Here’s the relevant portion of Canon Law:
Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.
Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.
Can. 1253 The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast.
Of course, this is just the minimum. You’re welcome to do more. 🙂

It is also traditional to make some other personal sacrifice. Many people give up sweets and/or devote more time to prayer. Some people give up other activities. I am giving up bathing, brushing my teeth, chastity, abstinence, temperance, clean clothes, clean dishes and my sense of humor.

It is also traditional to make some other personal sacrifice. Many people give up sweets and/or devote more time to prayer. Some people give up other activities. I am giving up bathing, brushing my teeth, chastity, abstinence, temperance, clean clothes, clean dishes and my sense of humor.
Now that I’m out of school, I’m often at a loss as I can no longer give up homework for Lent. Thanks for the suggestions! 👍

😛 😃

http://bestsmileys.com/wink/2.gif

I hope everyone realizes that the last sentence in my post was meant to be humorous. I am not giving up those things. I am, in reality giving up shaving, hair-cutting, sweets, alcohol, adding an additional 30 minutes of prayer or meditation per day and a few other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back