• Thread starter Thread starter swampfox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swampfox

Opening House session with a prayer for gays annoys some delegates

The Associated Press Feb 19, 2005

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...781018310&path=!news!politics&s=1045855935264
It was a prayer that bowed heads and raised blood pressure.

The Rev. Debra Peevey of the Journey of the Heart Ministries in Reston delivered the invocation to open the House floor session yesterday.

In her prayer, Peevey took note of legislation the House has embraced this year to ban same-sex marriage and make it difficult for gays to adopt children.

“Holy One, convict those who are using their power not to lead or to guide but to harm the gay and lesbian citizens, a small minority in this commonwealth,” Peevey said.

That didn’t sit well with conservatives in the House. The usual amen chorus at the end of the prayer was noticeably muted.

“I thought it was very inappropriate myself,” said Del. Kathy J. Byron, R-Campbell. “This individual basically said we were using our power to harm gay or lesbian citizens.”

Added Del. John A. Cosgrove, R-Chesapeake: “It’s interesting – we’re told not to pray in Jesus’ name, but this is OK?”

Clergy whom delegates invite to deliver the House prayer receive a letter in advance from the House clerk’s office. Most keep their prayers very general and free of political tones. A few stray slightly.

“We suggest that it should be ecumenical,” said House Clerk Bruce F. Jamerson. “We tell them that they’re praying to a mixed audience and that a broad prayer would be best.”

I suppose the ones who select the Minister who deliver the prayers will be more careful in the future. In my opinion the lesbian did more damage to her cause than good.

the civil government can’t be seen to favor one faith over another nor can they edit what a person wants to pray

they can however modify their “inviteee” list

40.png
Exporter:
I suppose the ones who select the Minister who deliver the prayers will be more careful in the future. In my opinion the lesbian did more damage to her cause than good.
It sounded more like a political speech than a prayer. Imagine if another religious group had claimed the legislature was out to get them?

Lisa N

Which church is this lady from? The Unitarian or the United Church of Christ?

It doesn’t look like she is associated with any church right now. She was a pastor in a Disciples of Christ church. Now she seems to be an AIDs activist and associated with those groups. She also has a private ministry.

She also seems to be on a speaking circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back