Letter from the Prophet Muhammad [St Catherines]

  • Thread starter Thread starter GaryTaylor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GaryTaylor

Guest
These are the words of the Prophet Muhammad left at St. Catherines, Mt Sinia. Have you read this?

This is a message from, “Muhammad ibn Abdullah”, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.
No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.
The Muslims are to fight for them.
If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).
 
These are the words of the Prophet Muhammad left at St. Catherines, Mt Sinia. Have you read this?

This is a message from, “Muhammad ibn Abdullah”, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.
No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.
The Muslims are to fight for them.
If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).
I really cannot see what this unsupported ‘note’ has to do with Sacred Scripture. Would you care to enlighten us, please and thank you?
 
These are the words of the Prophet Muhammad left at St. Catherines, Mt Sinia. Have you read this?
Having read it, I’m not so sure it is genuine. I think a more probable story is that the monks created a pious fraud to use to defend their rights to their monastic property. If a Muslim ruler threatened to evict them from the monastery, they only had to pull out the fake letter and say, “But look. Muhammad promised to allow us to stay here.”

st-katherine.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=65

I could be wrong!
 
I second Tantum ergo’s comment.
What on earth has this got to do with Sacred Scripture???
 
I was initially skeptical of this, but it isalso reported that the Turkish Sultan Selim I took the original letter in 1517, but endorsed its contents. It is still in the Topaki Museum in Turkey.
I wonder if any work has been done on the original to determine its authenticity?
Regardless of that, the fact that an Islamic ruler upheld its contents tends to lend credence that even Muslims regarded as genuine.

I do agree though, I don’t know what this has to do with scripture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top