Liberal and weak clergy blamed for empty pews

• Thread starter Thread starter stumbler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stumbler

By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

CHURCHGOING is in freefall in Britain because clergy and ministers are failing to stand up for moral values and treasured beliefs, a new survey has found.

Churches are being “silent” and “lukewarm” in the face of moral and social collapse, according to the £20,000, year-long study of 14,000 British churchgoers and those who have left the Church.

Researchers found “a widespread sense of anger and frustration” at what was happening to churches in the UK and Ireland. The 42-page report is an indictment of modern preaching and worship, illustrating how excessive liberalism and lack of conviction are . . .

timesonline.co.uk/article/0,2-1511237,00.html

The article doesn’t say, but I assume the study focused solely on Anglicans. Nevertheless, I suspect it is broadly applicable.

40.png
stumbler:
The article doesn’t say, but I assume the study focused solely on Anglicans. Nevertheless, I suspect it is broadly applicable.
If the sheep go astray, look to the shepherds.

Our diocese is pretty orthodox, and traditional. However our attendance has gone through the roof after las spring when we got a new priest and he was even more traditional than the last few we had. I think he’s said things people have longed to hear.

I sit in Mass with tears of frustration as I listen to the people singing We Shall Overcome Oneday, or the Priest talking about diversity using ‘white’ people as an example of racists (color coding human beings is racist - I am an Irish-American Catholic, not ‘white’), or a second collection for controversial social causes, or a jazz band plays during Mass with hand clapping etc. like a Protestant gospel revival.

So I tune this all out as I worship God and place myself back into the Church before Vatican II when the Mass was proper and Catholic.

Father John Corapi was told by a liberal Bishop he wouldn’t make it a year because he would offend people:ehh: Well, look at him now:whistle: People are hungry for TRUTH not fairy tales:clapping: God Bless

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Father John Corapi was told by a liberal Bishop he wouldn’t make it a year because he would offend people:ehh: Well, look at him now:whistle: People are hungry for TRUTH not fairy tales:clapping: God Bless
Absolutely! Fr. Corapi says it like it is. I would love to see his kind of fire in every parish. Honestly one of the things that I found MOST attractive about the Catholic church is their (well most of the time) strong stance on issues in spite of public pressure. They aren’t so desperate to be voted “Most Popular” church. So many of the Protestant churches are pathetic in their desperation for members. They want bums in the pews even if it means they accept blatantly sinful behavior. I saw a sign on a local UCC church that was clearly soliciting active homosexuals. I happen to know this church is dying due to lack of membership and energy. People want a high bar. They want to be challenged to walk in Christ’s footsteps.

It’s funny I never resonated with Revelation until I participated in a reading. The phrase “Because you are lukewarm I spit you out of my mouth” hit home. I left that lukewarm church behind.

Lisa N

Ah liberalism. It is a virus. See what the Church of England caused??

Who said that protestantism was first step on the road to athiesm??

Kevin Walker:
I sit in Mass with tears of frustration as I listen to the people singing We Shall Overcome Oneday, or the Priest talking about diversity using ‘white’ people as an example of racists (color coding human beings is racist - I am an Irish-American Catholic, not ‘white’), or a second collection for controversial social causes, or a jazz band plays during Mass with hand clapping etc. like a Protestant gospel revival.

So I tune this all out as I worship God and place myself back into the Church before Vatican II when the Mass was proper and Catholic.
Actually–you’re just white–and you have American citizenship. I’d dump that liberal priest though…hire a conservative black priest and he’ll hget the hint.

Lisa N:
Absolutely! Fr. Corapi says it like it is. I would love to see his kind of fire in every parish. Honestly one of the things that I found MOST attractive about the Catholic church is their (well most of the time) strong stance on issues in spite of public pressure. They aren’t so desperate to be voted “Most Popular” church.
Lisa N
Yes! Just the public consternation about Humanae Vitae over the years was sufficient to draw me like a moth to a flame. Like the media expected some sort of retraction but it never came. It’s like clearing away a lot of brush and muck and finding a diamond.

I think some priests are afraid to give fire and brimstone sermons. TUrn to the prodigal son parable and drag the prodigal son in church with his whores and alchohol in tow.

Its not a church for sinners seeking permission to sin and cast persecution to the downtrodden…

Its a church for saints to help sinners find redemption and minister to the poor.

Kevin Walker:

Every time I get to feeling sorry for myself and the abuses I have to endure I read something like this and realize how lucky I am. You have my deep sympathy.
What these vanilla, Milquetoast priests don’t realize is that if they preached the Trugh, like Fr. Corapi who was mentioned above, their churches would be standing room only.

40.png
Strider:
Every time I get to feeling sorry for myself and the abuses I have to endure I read something like this and realize how lucky I am. You have my deep sympathy.
What these vanilla, Milquetoast priests don’t realize is that if they preached the Trugh, like Fr. Corapi who was mentioned above, their churches would be standing room only.
I recommend every Catholic read the Diary of Perpetua – and actual account written by a Catholic Martyr while awaiting death, with an eyewitness account of how she and her fellow martyrs died.

THAT is our Catholic heritage. How can we flinch from public disapproval, loss of a few bucks in the collection plate, and similar “penalties” for telling the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back