Life in the Spirit seminar?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fin

Guest
Anyone attended or is a part of this? I was suggested to attend this after I had healing prayers said over me. What should I expect?
 
Anyone attended or is a part of this? I was suggested to attend this after I had healing prayers said over me. What should I expect?
A “Life in the Spirit Seminar”, as I remember it from many years ago, is like a spiritual B12 shot in the spirit!

It lasted for seven weeks and the principal leader gave a 15/20 minute talk that included a personal testimony. Then we all shared if we wished (there were about 5 to 7 participants in each group, and two who led it.) The 7 talks build on each other as the weeks proceed, and the small group gets to know one another better during the sharing time.

It was during week six that each individual was prayed for a renewal in the Holy Spirit. Charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit were shared by the two who prayed over each individual. I would say it was about five minutes that each individual was prayed over.

Some come to the seminar already knowing and loving the Church. Some come because they are hurting in their lives and hoping for insights and direction.

A well-prepared Life in the Spirit Seminar can be life-changing in different ways for different people, depending on their needs.

I am no longer active in prayer groups for about ten years now. I am very active in the Third Order Lay Carmelites that I have been with since 1975. I have seen that charismatic renewal has led many into deeper, interior prayer lives. (for me the charismatic renewal had started in 1976.)
 
Anyone attended or is a part of this? I was suggested to attend this after I had healing prayers said over me. What should I expect?
The “Life in the Spirit Seminar” is a series of 7 or 8 sessions, each one with a talk, then group discussion. Part of the purpose is to lead towards “Baptism in the Holy Spirit”, which would involve people praying over you again. This often is accompanied by manifestation of spiritual gifts. I would say another purpose of this seminar is an orientation towards a more personal relationship with Jesus. I would definitely consider attending. But you should ask who is sponsoring this seminar. Ideally it should be endorsed by a Catholic parish, or at least by a prayer group affiliated with your diocesan Office of Charismatic Renewal. If it’s not offered by a parish, you might check with your pastor to ensure this is a reliable group offering it, which the great majority are. If you were Protestant, I would also suggest checking with your own pastor.

When I made it in 1974, my age group was very familiar with Catholic doctrine, but we tended to intellectualize everything, needed to be encouraged towards a personal relationship with Christ, and to be open to the Spirit. As a leader in later years, I found most people were the opposite; they tended to personalize everything, they were too open to everything, but lacked some basics in doctrine.

So, consider making it.
 
Thanks for the responses. Yes it is organized by a Catholic charismatic community. I have a prayer life that consists of daily Mass, Adoration, and private devotions such as the Rosary, so I don’t know how this plays out. I have attended a seminar on intercession which included praying in tongues (first time to do so). The lady also prayed in the tongues when I was prayed over this afternoon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top