M
Marc_Anthony
Guest
Here’s a morals question:
My grandfather died earlier this year. He choked on a carrot. He was alive when he got to the ER but had no brain activity. Three days later my family decided to take him off of life support. He was dead within hours, having stopped breathing soon after the respirator was removed, and happily after receiving Annointing of the Sick.
So, my question: If my grandfather had kept breathing after the respirator had been removed, would we have been obligated to keep him nourished? A feeding tube would have had to been placed in his throat, and we would have had to pay for him to live in a home. I have no idea how we would have gotten the money.
More background: We had no discussions specifically, but my family was universally sure that he would not have wanted to live in a home, nor would he want to live in an extreme vegetative state with no hope of recovery.
So if he had kept breathing with the ventilator removed, would we have been morally obligated to do our absolute utmost to keep him provided with hydration and nutrition? What is Church teaching on this issue? I know food and water generally falls under normative care, but I’ve also heard there’s a tiny bit of wriggle room there too.
I’m not sure.
I’m not sure.
My grandfather died earlier this year. He choked on a carrot. He was alive when he got to the ER but had no brain activity. Three days later my family decided to take him off of life support. He was dead within hours, having stopped breathing soon after the respirator was removed, and happily after receiving Annointing of the Sick.
So, my question: If my grandfather had kept breathing after the respirator had been removed, would we have been obligated to keep him nourished? A feeding tube would have had to been placed in his throat, and we would have had to pay for him to live in a home. I have no idea how we would have gotten the money.
More background: We had no discussions specifically, but my family was universally sure that he would not have wanted to live in a home, nor would he want to live in an extreme vegetative state with no hope of recovery.
So if he had kept breathing with the ventilator removed, would we have been morally obligated to do our absolute utmost to keep him provided with hydration and nutrition? What is Church teaching on this issue? I know food and water generally falls under normative care, but I’ve also heard there’s a tiny bit of wriggle room there too.
I’m not sure.
I’m not sure.