Limits of humor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kullervo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kullervo

Guest
Hi,
I lately struggle a bit with the question where the limits of humor lie. I know it depends on the situation (I wouldn’t tell sexual jokes to a child or I wouldn’t make jokes about someone during their funeral), but what about “normal situations”. Is it ok for a Catholic to watch The Simpsons or various Late night talk shows?
 
I think humor becomes sinful when you are trying to hurt someones feelings but masking it “as a joke.” Don’t get me wrong, some people are way too sensitive these days, but that doesn’t mean we have an open door to make fun of people for being short/having a mole on their face, etc.

A lot depends on relationships. My friends and I are brutal to each other, and I’m guaranteeing you that others would be mortified by what we say. But since we’re friends and we all know each other well, we know that what we say isn’t meant to hurt someone.

It’s okay for a Catholic to watch The Simpsons, South Park, Late Night shows. These shows are all pretty tame.
 
Thanks for your opinion!
Yeah, I too think people are way too sensitive these days. You can tell by the whole ‘offended’ culture.
 
To answer your original question, humor is purely situational. There is def a proper place and time.
 
Ok 😄
But in some circumstances it could be inappropriate, I think you get what I meant 😁
 
We can’t Laugh God off, but I think there’s not really a problem in making a joke about God.
 
The first Principle and Foundation by St Ignatius of Loyola suggests that we enjoy the world, those parts which help us to become holier, and avoid the parts that are temptations for us or “help” us become less holy.

So for one person, settling back and laughing at the Simpsons will clear them up and help them to be kinder to those around them. For another, the same thing will inspire them to make hurtful jokes.

Thus, watching the Simpsons is good for one and bad for the other.
 
We can’t Laugh God off, but I think there’s not really a problem in making a joke about God.
I agree. Humor is like art, it’s incredibly subjective. When we start making a list of what we can’t joke about, each of us will have something different. Eventually, the list will include everything and we’ll live in a dry, colorless world where nothing is funny.
 
I’ve never watched either of those shows. I wonder if they mock other religious figures, say for instance Mohammed or Allah, or if it’s only Jesus.
 
That’s a good point. I sometimes feel that comediennes these day can only make fun of Christianity, because Christians turn the other cheek and others are offended.
 
South Park makes fun of everyone and everything, including Mohammed.
It is usually under the guise of pointing out some hypocrisy, and usually, it is pointed out by the children that the adults in their life are being crazy.
 
because Christians turn the other cheek and others are offended.
Um…have you been around CAF much? 😉

I think “All in the Family” was one of the funniest, most brilliant TV shows written. And despite the fact that it was written from a liberal perspective to challenge the status quo, it would never make it on the air today because it would’ve offended everyone too much.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top