Limits of humor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kullervo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s because you had real stars who also had minds and something interesting to talk about.
 
Well, I don’t think we are there yet. But we are getting there. I can still make jokes with my friends and family, but I have to be really careful on Facebook or Twitter because I know someone out there will be offended by it. The basis of all humor is cruelty or misery, and the best way to deal with that is by laughing. Do I worry about the future? Yes, but I think it’s a cycle. Like I said before, comedy is an art form. There will always be people who look at the Madonna by Munch and just don’t get it. And there will always be people out there who just don’t get humor.
 
I do too. If you really want to laugh (speaking of old school comedians and late night hosts) look at Jay Leno from the 1970’s/80’s. His stand up was spectacular. He had this amazing ability to make you think that only you and him were in on the joke. The less said about his Tonight Show years the better, but in his prime, strictly as a comedian, he was amazing.
 
I am very careful about what I say to my college students for fear that one or more of them might be offended. Sometimes I can’t help myself and say it anyhow, but I usually censor myself. Of course, in a working environment, certain things would simply be unprofessional. I don’t mean jokes that I might tell only to a close friend or a family member because only they would understand what I mean. Nothing offensive in class; rather anything that may be misinterpreted as intentionally sexist, racist, homophobic, and so on. In today’s climate, teachers have to be extra cautious.
 
Last edited:
Oh absolutely. I’m a truck driver so we tend to be a bit more…earthy…than other professions, but even we have to be careful sometimes. I can understand why you would too!
 
I watched a movie recently… It was rated no children under 16. There was gruesome story with a scene of two people doing something, eventhough that something is not shown, it is so distasteful of a story. And is unfair the fact that, it was not supposedly rated nc16 with such gruesome a story. It was not horror either. It was supposedly a comedy.

I do not mention the title in case this bad movie get more viewers. I pray those bad movies cannot sell. I bet they change the rating in order to get move viewers. But I think its unfair to do so.

Everything have limit. If we exceed the limit, it becomes no longer funny and even distasteful.
Eventhough I closed my eyes, it was tiring to expect a good laugh from a comedy film but come out from the cinema more tired than before I came in.
 
Last edited:
The basis of all humor is what? Watch some old Red Skelton. It’s not a matter of “not getting it” either. Take ‘real art.’ The truth is a small card placed next to ‘real art,’ it reads: “Please do not remove. This is art.” You see? It’s there for the cleaning lady so she doesn’t throw it out as trash. But for those who have joined the art cult, it is something of beauty and wonder. The indecipherable and distorted is celebrated by members of the art cult.

Comedy is not an art form. It is a sick and twisted form.
 
Last edited:
Jay Leno was not as good as Johnny Carson and represented the end of an only vaguely good late-night comedy.
 
This was literally uploaded like 15 minutes ago


Do you think Father Mike might be…One Of Us?
 
I just saw it. 9 min after it was posted. This really feels like a sign 😁. That makes things even more clear.
 
It would be super cool if he would. The timing is really… Humorous? 😁
 
That’s going to take a while. Some of us still remember Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.
 
Pretty much the same I do with my friends, we like to roast each other a lot. One of them even comments how “brutal” I can be in roasting her and I wouldn’t even realize and apologize if I went too far for her, but she loves it since we both know I mean no ill will at her. 😆
 
Last edited:
I married into a German-Irish family but there aren’t any “Mercados” in Ireland (that I know of)…
 
If the humor has to do with anything distastefully dirty or gravely harmful to someone, I do not partake in the laughter no matter how funny it seemed to me. Although let’s just say I’m not very good at holding back sometimes… 😅 I’ve stopped listening to and telling these kind of jokes (or at least trying) because I realized it was doing harm to my mind and soul. Many people have mixed opinions on this. There are other things that can make us laugh anyways. I’d hope that you all think the same but at the end of the day, I’m only speaking my mind here since I’m not that educated on the subject.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top