Literature on friendship?

  • Thread starter Thread starter justbeinfrank
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justbeinfrank

Guest
I’m looking for a classic novel or other Great-Books-type literature that contemplates the meaning of friendship. I’m not sure why, I guess I’m just in the mood for it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
I’m looking for a classic novel or other Great-Books-type literature that contemplates the meaning of friendship. I’m not sure why, I guess I’m just in the mood for it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
One famous work is Ailred of Rievaulx, On Spiritual Friendship. (Ailred was the prior of a Cistercian monastery in the 12th century.) On a lighter note, I’d strongly recommend Chaim Potok’s novel The Chosen.

Edwin
 
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (a very good novel about many things, including friendship)

American Sympathy: Men, Friendship, and Literature in the New Nation by Caleb Crain (a scholarly study of the subject)
“American Sympathy is a brilliant book about the essential issues and authors of early American literature, and it is written with a slyness and seductiveness worthy of those issues and authors. Indeed, it is one of those rare books that change with way we think about things that matter. Either as an indispensable text or as a cult classic, it will endure.” --Michael Zuckerman, Professor of History, University of Pennsylvania
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top