C
cheese_sdc
Guest
Now, I’m not a person with a traditionalist (or very conservative) view of Church, politics, etc.
So I was thinking about the magisterium, and the Church, and authority, etc. and asked myself this:
Q. How do you know that the Church is correct?
Well, there is always the scripture that states that “The gates of Hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18)
Well then, how do you know that scripture is correct?
Because the Church tells me so.

Sounds like a classic circular argument to me.
Now I know that the Church existed before the Bible, and that we (I’m Catholic too) rely on Scripture and Tradition. However, when anyone questions a particular doctrine of the Church (ordination of women for example), the usual response is some sort of “argument from authority”.
So regress a little - where does the Church get it’s authority? Matt 16:18. Where does Matt. 16:18 get its authority, the Church.
Circular. And therefore invalid.
Can anyone help?
So I was thinking about the magisterium, and the Church, and authority, etc. and asked myself this:
Q. How do you know that the Church is correct?
Well, there is always the scripture that states that “The gates of Hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18)
Well then, how do you know that scripture is correct?
Because the Church tells me so.
Sounds like a classic circular argument to me.
Now I know that the Church existed before the Bible, and that we (I’m Catholic too) rely on Scripture and Tradition. However, when anyone questions a particular doctrine of the Church (ordination of women for example), the usual response is some sort of “argument from authority”.
So regress a little - where does the Church get it’s authority? Matt 16:18. Where does Matt. 16:18 get its authority, the Church.
Circular. And therefore invalid.
Can anyone help?