Little sisters bad habits&mom allowing them?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FullOfThought
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullOfThought

Guest
I am the eldest child, by ten years, and I have 4 younger siblings, the eldest of my younger siblings just turned 16 and I am really quite upset by certain behavior/habits (not quite sure what to call them!) she is doing. Basically it’s only 2 things, the first being her clothes and the second being pictures of her on facebook.

She is wearing shorts that are so short I can see, hmmm things that aren’t her legs anymore. My mother buys her these clothes and makes comments about how short they are but yet let’s her wear them?! I was never allowed wearing anything near that short OR tight!!

Also, the pictures she put up recently of her and her boyfriend… full body hugs, faces together… it is really bothering me! it is WAY to much contact!! I told her that I disliked them AND spoke to my mother about disliking the pictures, she said she’d look at them and yet even more appeared today?!

They go to a fabulous Catholic school, have been on Catholic missions… I just do not understand why my parents are letting her behave like this! What am I meant to do? I only see them once a month as we’re hours away and I’m not a parent obviously!

Is this none of my business?
 
I am the eldest child, by ten years, and I have 4 younger siblings, the eldest of my younger siblings just turned 16 and I am really quite upset by certain behavior/habits (not quite sure what to call them!) she is doing. Basically it’s only 2 things, the first being her clothes and the second being pictures of her on facebook.

She is wearing shorts that are so short I can see, hmmm things that aren’t her legs anymore. My mother buys her these clothes and makes comments about how short they are but yet let’s her wear them?! I was never allowed wearing anything near that short OR tight!!

Also, the pictures she put up recently of her and her boyfriend… full body hugs, faces together… it is really bothering me! it is WAY to much contact!! I told her that I disliked them AND spoke to my mother about disliking the pictures, she said she’d look at them and yet even more appeared today?!

They go to a fabulous Catholic school, have been on Catholic missions… I just do not understand why my parents are letting her behave like this! What am I meant to do? I only see them once a month as we’re hours away and I’m not a parent obviously!

Is this none of my business?
Well, it’s fine to be concerned about your little sister’s not so good choices, but you need to let your mom be the parent. As a big sister, you can make sure your little sis is aware of what is put on the internet cannot be “taken back” so to speak. It’s up there and even if she removed it, there’s a good chance someone (or some internet entity) has copied that page. Colleges and prospective employers have been know to use those “internet entities” to find out more about their potential students and employees, much more than the applicants share when they apply…She probably doesn’t care at this point, but having her big sis explain it to her (and find some real life examples where someone’s social networking page ended up costing them a job or admission to their college of choice).

Next, as far as clothes, you can be a fashion example for your little sister and maybe take her shopping to help her make better decisions. Informing her of consequences of bad social networking and wearing revealing clothes is fine for a big sis, but it’s up to your mom to have the final say on what is allowed/not allowed and what the punishment is for breaking those rules, if your mom opts to make and enforce them.

Good luck! 🙂
 
I am the eldest child, by ten years, and I have 4 younger siblings, the eldest of my younger siblings just turned 16 and I am really quite upset by certain behavior/habits (not quite sure what to call them!) she is doing. Basically it’s only 2 things, the first being her clothes and the second being pictures of her on facebook.

She is wearing shorts that are so short I can see, hmmm things that aren’t her legs anymore. My mother buys her these clothes and makes comments about how short they are but yet let’s her wear them?! I was never allowed wearing anything near that short OR tight!!

Also, the pictures she put up recently of her and her boyfriend… full body hugs, faces together… it is really bothering me! it is WAY to much contact!! I told her that I disliked them AND spoke to my mother about disliking the pictures, she said she’d look at them and yet even more appeared today?!

They go to a fabulous Catholic school, have been on Catholic missions… I just do not understand why my parents are letting her behave like this! What am I meant to do? I only see them once a month as we’re hours away and I’m not a parent obviously!

Is this none of my business?
I’m less concerned with the pictures, and more concerned with the clothing choices… and while mom might have a part in changing the behavior, the underlying attitude of the value of the human body and the appropriate way to display it won’t change without talking to the girl and educating her.

I suggest picking up a copy of theology of the body (by Pope JP II) and giving it a good read, and then taking said sister out for coffee and charitably expressing your concerns in light of what the church has so wonderfully laid out (why such clothing is disrespectful to the self, etc).
 
You aren’t her mommy, but you are her big sister. Don’t tattle to mom and expect her to carry out your parenting wishes.

Talk to your sister directly. The suggestions of taking her shopping and having a heart to heart about what’s a good idea to put on facebook and what isn’t are great ideas. My oldest sister is 6 years older than I am, and I benefitted from her advice on things like navigating friends, boys, and college when I was your sister’s age and a bit older. (My sister has terrible taste, so I would never have taken her fashion advice! :D)
 
. (My sister has terrible taste, so I would never have taken her fashion advice! :D)
I believe we have the same problem with me… Our Lord didn’t bless me with much fashion sense.

I have actually never read Theology of the Body… I will do that! Thank you!!
 
Unforunately, this is for your parents’ to handle. As an oldest child myself, stepping back and letting my parents’ be the parents’ was really difficult. I was constantly critiqueing their change in standards when it came to my youngest siblings. For instance, my parents firmly established a rule that we weren’t allowed to date till we were 16. I started dating at 17 and then stopped at 19 for an indefinite number of years. My brother after me had trouble getting the courage to ask girls out and didn’t go out on his first date till he was about 23.

What I had noticed was that when I did start dating, my mother’s interest in my dating life was more than just being a moral guide. I was like her personal romance story. She wanted to read emails I received from guys more motivated out of a similiar desire to watch shows like “the Bachelor” or watching “Romantic comedies.” When I stopped dating, she opened a Catholic singles account for me and began emailing me pretending to be me so that she could encourage romance in my life. When I put my foot down, my 12 year old sister was suddenly permitted to have boyfriends. She insisted that they were really just friendships. One time, my sister was up in her room with a boy with the door locked and the music playing loudly. I immediately went to my mother. My mom insisted that they didn’t have hormones yet and that I needed to stop being the third parent. I thus went to my Dad. My Dad put a stop to things, but I was definitely seen as the bad guy.

While I was away at college, I simply prayed for my sister every day. This was especially true as she prepared for confirmation. Around this time, my sister started dating a Christian guy who was committed to abstaining. It didn’t last long and a couple times she got played by a couple of guys, but it was like God put influences in her life that caused her to make a firmer commitment to chastity. She gained a reputation in high school that she was a girl who simply wouldn’t have sex with her boyfriends. A lot of the boys thought she was a tease. Guys stopped asking her out. I know that hurt her, but it gave her the freedom, I think, to develop her relationship with God. It challenged her to stick to her convictions.

After she watched “10 things I hate about you” she started realizing to some degree that while I was annoying, I was looking out for her. As she started entering her 20’s she, we slowly developed a better relationship. She ended up marrying a friend of mine, and did successfully wait for marriage. We’re very close.

When she moved into her apartment after marrying, she found a Christmas gift I had given her when she was preparing for her confirmation. I had basically made a packet of Christian teen activities, articles (mostly I found online). I also wrote a list of things I loved about her. When I had given her the gift, she scoffed, thought it was preachy and tossed it aside. She started looking at it at an adult and called me up to thank me. She told me that she hadn’t realized at all how well I knew her and how highly I thought of her. She told me she wished she had looked at it more seriously before.

I suppose its little things like that which can help, but don’t expect an immediate impact. It also won’t work all the time. My youngest brother has completely rejected the faith, got involved in drugs and moved in with a girlfriend. He’s now marrying a woman who is not mentally stable. His fiance’ has resented me for requesting she respect my space and because she takes my attempts to avoid listening to her gossip as rejection. She ended up accusing me of not apologising for something that happened two years ago at Christmas. I’ve apologized several times, but she insisted I tell everyone what a horrible unrighteous person I was. When I refused and asked her to stop, she then began lying about things I had said or done. I got very upset and left. She then went home crying to my brother and then apparently lied to him saying I had attacked her. I ended up getting several phone calls and emails. My brother told me he’s hated me his whole life and that I’m the reason he’s not Catholic because obviously my faith has made me a horrible self righteous individual.

However hard it is to see my brother do this, on a positive side, its made my mother realize to some capacity that her own parenting choices with the youngest harmed them. She says she wishes she could go back ten years and change a lot of her decisions. So in some ways, I suppose God is working there too. I pray my brother will someday come to a conversion of his own.

Life is difficult. You’ve got to carry your cross and be more of a witness than a preacher. Whatever you say or do, you have to strive to be guided by God in prayer. then you’ll know better when to speak up and when to keep your mouth shut.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top