Liturgical Minister

  • Thread starter Thread starter gatewood1988
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gatewood1988

Guest
Hello everyone! I wanted your outlook on something. I have been asked to be a liturgical minister at my parish and I have a choice of an Altar Server, Lector, or Eucharistic Minister. I wanted to know what people think of each of these and any experiences they have had as one. I wanted your outlook before I made a decision. 🙂
 
They are all great honors. I would say Extraordinary Minister of the Holy Eucharist is my favorite. Being able to give Jesus to the church - uniting a Lover with His love. It is a beautiful ministry.

But again, any of these would make a great choice! 👍
 
Well, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are so often overused that if I were you, I would avoid that one. If you have a gift for public speaking, you could be a good reader. The one that has always fascinated me is altar server. How wonderful to assist the priest as he brings Christ to the altar!

I haven’t been any of these, as I’ve served as a cantor for over 30 years.
 
Hello everyone! I wanted your outlook on something. I have been asked to be a liturgical minister at my parish and I have a choice of an Altar Server, Lector, or Eucharistic Minister. I wanted to know what people think of each of these and any experiences they have had as one. I wanted your outlook before I made a decision. 🙂
Hi! My parish only permits children younger than their senior year of high school to be altar servers, and since I came into the Church spring of my Senior year, I never was one. I sing in the choir (sometimes) and am an EMHC. I have been told I should try to be a lector, but I’d be more focused on my own nervousness than the Mass, I think (what if I mispronounce one of those odd Hebrew names?).

My experience as an EMHC is a wholly good one, but I dislike - no, cannot stand - distributing the Host. I feel out of place and wrong doing so. I enjoy helping distribute the Precious Blood, however. Because of the odd layout of my parish (it’s organized so that at noon on Easter and the Fall equinox, the sunlight streams onto the Host at the moment of consecration), the EMHCs have to do a sort of “dance” to get around. We are in much greater need at my parish than the other parishes in town because we have only one priest and no deacons.

I think as an EMHC, the wonderful experience is being able to actually bring Christ to others. My only concern is: “do they really believe it?” and I worry sometimes because, what if I give the Precious Blood to someone in mortal sin?

If you have a good voice and can read aloud well, good lectors are always appreciated! I recall there is one gentleman at my parish who is a lector, but I can hardly understand him as he wheezes a lot. I find it annoying (it’s generally older women who do this) when someone reads to us as if we were little children. Declare the Word with PRIDE, not apology, I say!

Hope this helps!
 
I guess the one thing I am afraid of is I am a married woman and am kind of iffy when it comes to the Altar Server position because of the opposition I might face. I probably wouldn’t be considering it if one of the kids that I teach in RE were able to be an Altar Server. But as far as the Eucharistic minister goes, I would have no problem doing it, but I would be afraid of the same thing about the mortal sin issue. I hate to say it but my parish is small and not alot of people want to help too much about 75% of our parish is over the age of 50. In fact my husband and I are the youngest married couple there. I want to help where I am most needed and that would be between those two positions.
 
discernment is a good part of the process for any coworker in the vineyard. take your time. listen for the prompting of the holy spirit. try and fill a need in your parish.

peace
 
Hello everyone! I wanted your outlook on something. I have been asked to be a liturgical minister at my parish and I have a choice of an Altar Server, Lector, or Eucharistic Minister. I wanted to know what people think of each of these and any experiences they have had as one. I wanted your outlook before I made a decision. 🙂
What is stopping you from doing all three things? I have, although altar server was just a fill-in a few times when the priest had nobody. I had no training in serving. Actually, in a small chapel, I once did all three assignments in the same Mass. It’s helpful to the priest to know that he has people he can count on to help in whatever is needed. Each position is a huge honor. As to being nervous about reading, you might be a little self-conscious at first, but as you try to make the message meaningful to the congregation, you soon forget about yourself and concentrate on what the message is saying. The more YOU feel the message, the more it becomes meaningful to the listeners. Being the one to bring Jesus to the congregation is wonderful. I never tired of doing it. Don’t worry about someone not receiving worthily. That is not for you to consider, unless their actions show disrespect. You cannot know the condition of their souls. Offer to help in each posiition. You’ll never regret it.
 
Well I have come to a decision to be a Lector. I have always loved reading the Scriptures and I feel called to that position. Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top