Liturgy of the Hours pre Vatican ll?

• Thread starter Thread starter Joanne_ca
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joanne_ca

I don’t think it was called LOTH before Vatican ll, possibly just Divine Office. I was wondering what it was called and what has changed after Vatican ll with the hours. Were they more difficult to read? Were the prayers the same? I would appreciate any info on this subject if anyone knows. Also why was it changed?

In the Vatican II Document ‘Sacrosanctum Concilium’, Chapter IV is called The Divine Office.

In part, it says “…84. the Divine Office, in keeping with ancient Christian tradition, is so devised that the whole course of the day and night is consecrated by the praise of God. Therefore, when this wonderful song of praise is correctly celebrated … it is truly the voice of the bride herself addressed to her bridegroom…88. …the purpose of the office is to sanctify the day…90. The Divine Office, as the public prayer of the Church, is a source of piety and of nourishment for personal prayer…91…the psalms are no longer to be distributed over one week but over a longer period of time…100. Pastors should see to it that the principal hours, expecially Vespers, are celebrated in common in church on Sundays and on the more solemn feasts. The laity, too, are encouraged to recite the Divine Office, either with the priests, or among themselves or even individually.”

We are going to say Compline on Wednesday night after Adoration throughout Advent. Our priest hopes to continue it through the year. We had our first practise singing the office last Wednesday night. Chant is beautiful and even I with my terrible voice could sing it.! 🙂

The Vatican Documents are available online. Just type the name of the document into Google and it will come up.

When the Breviary was reorganized, the hour of Prime was supressed and the psalter was divided to be said over a four week period (in the pre V-II Office all 150 psalms were said every week).

I heard the the aim of the reorganization was to make it easier for clergy and religious to say the hours at the appointed time (i.e. Lauds after arising, mid-morning prayer or terce in the mid morning, etc…) I’m not sure why it was difficult to say the hours at those times, but ok.

Some of the prayers are the same, some are different. I know that in the new Vespers there are prayers like the “Prayers of the Faithful” at Mass (i.e. For the Church… Lord hear our prayer…) From what I can tell, Compline hasn’t changed that much except that there are fewer psalms said.

Those are the only things I can think of off hand. I pray the tradtional Office so maybe somebody who prays the current Liturgy of the Hours will be more helpful.

I pray the LOTH and was wondering what had changed but I am interested in the Traditional Office. Can you recomment a site?
Thanks

The breviary extant prior to the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council required between three and six hours daily to recite. The current breviary requires perhaps two hours to go through each day. The earlier breviary is connected to the previous Kalendar, and was furthermore suppressed with the following language: “It is lawful, however, for those who because of advanced age or for special reasons experience serious difficulties in observing the new rite, to continue to use the formor Roman Breviary, in whole or in part, with the consent of their Ordinary, and exclusively in individual recitation.” Apostolic Constitution, November 1, 1970. The permission of the Ordinary applies to the religious and to priests, of course, but you can see that the preference of the Church is strongly toward the new Liturgy of the Hours. In my personal opinion, the new breviary is an improvement and is more in tune with the times; and it is the right and duty of the Church to adjust liturgy and disciplines to help the faithful in each era. The new breviary is, I think, much more conducive to contemplation, because it is shorter and because it is in a language that we understand. I went through a phase when I wanted to pray the older office, but I got over it. The new one is very nourishing. And, it is what the Church asks of us.

amasimp said:

I have dithered about posting this, but I guess here goes. Just so anyone knows who goes to this site, it appears to be sponsored by a group that is, well, seemingly related to SSPX or of a like mind or something. Just a warning.

Not everything that comes from the Society is to be treated like poison.

This is a good site that posts the prayers of the traditional Divine Office that were prayed by clergy and religious FOR CENTURIES!.

It is a solid site and I stand by my recommendtation.

Breviary.net lacks an imprimatur, and is published by people who believe that there is no Pope at this time. One response about the lack of imprimatur might be ‘we are using sources that have an imprimatur’ but this is unlikely, since there was no English-Latin full breviary published in the time period they are replicating AFAIK. They are assembling something of their own accord. Also they promote devotionals that are not used by the Church at this time, which, while possibly harmless, nonetheless promotes a schismatic mentality that encourages one to believe there is something wrong with Holy Mother Church. Pray with the Church, using the Liturgy of the Hours. Unity is central to our Faith.

40.png
FrmrTrad:
Also they promote devotionals that are not used by the Church at this time, which, while possibly harmless, nonetheless promotes a schismatic mentality that encourages one to believe there is something wrong with Holy Mother Church. Pray with the Church, using the Liturgy of the Hours. Unity is central to our Faith.
That is not true. Traditional orders such as the FSSP, ICK, Society of St. John, etc. still use the traditional Office. Even diocesan clergy can pray it. All they need is permission of the bishop.

As for a schismatic mentality…that is nonsense. Just because a person has an attachment to the former traditions and devotions of the Church does not cause one to develop a schismatic mentality. In a way, the Holy Father encourages us to seek those traditions. He called for bishops to have a wide and generous use of the TLM (which they aren’t), he asks people to start saying the St. Michael prayer, he has encouraged people to pray the rosary every day when that devotion had fallen by the wayside in the few decades following the Council.

I still stand by my recommendation of Breviary.net. While it does not have an imprimatur, it is a good resource for comparing the two versions of the Office. I could have sent the person who asked to Traditio, but the guy that runs that site is a nut.

If a person wants a Latin-English traditional Office, with Imprimatur and nihil obstat, look on ebay for the Collegville three volume edition.

If you are really interested in the Liturgy of the Hours, rather than going to a questionable site like suggest above why not go to liturgyhours.org/.

This site has the booklets that have the daily office, it is easy to follow. They come from the 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours and it is the approved version of the Church.

40.png
ByzCath:
If you are really interested in the Liturgy of the Hours, rather than going to a questionable site like suggest above why not go to liturgyhours.org/.

This site has the booklets that have the daily office, it is easy to follow. They come from the 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours and it is the approved version of the Church.
Because the question was regarding the Divine Office as it was before Vatican II. Perhaps this person is simply interested from an historical perspective.

40.png
Patrick2340:
Because the question was regarding the Divine Office as it was before Vatican II. Perhaps this person is simply interested from an historical perspective.
If this is so then I suggest they go to anglicanbreviary.com/.

This web site is run by a person who took the old Divine Office and translated it from Latin to English. He does not pretend to be Catholic, as you can see from the web site address and name.

40.png
amasimp:
Just because a person has an attachment to the former traditions and devotions of the Church does not cause one to develop a schismatic mentality.
One could say, too, that just because a person has an attachment to racing cars, spoilers, tire fins, engine coolers, loud mufflers, and big-cc engines does not cause one to develop a mentality of driving too fast. It’s true, but the association is overwhelming, and speeding is virtual certainty. Among those with the attachment you mention, there is evident a rampant tendency to judge the Church and the Holy Father, and to become suspicious of the rites of the Church. To suggest to people that they introduce into their prayer life a web site that is closely linked to sentences like, ‘Then Paul VI suddenly made everyone happy. He died.’ is irresponsible to say the least. I can’t find that file now but I recall reading it when I was once exploring the theory sites that lie behind the one(s) in question. Or files that compare the “old and new mass” in the least favorable terms possible, or blame the Second Vatican Council for a lack of reverence – this is irresponsible and misleading. People need to have their faith strengthened, not replaced with schismatic tendencies. As for the Holy Father, among those with the attachment you mention there is present a constant unwillingness to pray for him, so the generosity is one-sided to be sure.

40.png
amasimp:
Not everything that comes from the Society is to be treated like poison.

This is a good site that posts the prayers of the traditional Divine Office that were prayed by clergy and religious FOR CENTURIES!.

It is a solid site and I stand by my recommendtation.
amasimp,

I didn’t mean to imply that all the info found there would be tainted or that you had sent the person somewhere that didn’t help answer their question or that you should not have posted it, or anything like that.

Twenty years ago, I would just have assumed that the site was Catholic like whatever standard Catholic is and I would have been confused by their listed rules for fasting (to give one example) and I might have become troubled by it all. It was for any lukers who might be like me that I posted the warning.

Are the prayers different? Here is a comparison corresponding to St. Agatha’s collect or prayer.
Brevarium Romanum: O God, who among the manifold works of thine almighty power hast bestowed even upon the weakness of women strength to win the victory of martyrdom : grant, we beseech thee ; that we, who on this day recall the heavenly birth of Saint Agatha thy Virgin and Martyr, may so follow in her footsteps, that we may likewise attain unto thee. Through.
Liturgy of the Hours: Lord, let your forgiveness be won for us by the pleading of St. Agatha, who found favor with you by her chastity and by her courage in suffering death for the Gospel. Through.
I think it would be easy to consider that the earlier prayer was more complete, more comprehensive, and more expressive of Catholic dogma. But I think that the new prayer, in addition to being the one that the Church is praying, is actually a better expression of our faith, and that nothing is omitted. Some elements are unnecessary, such as that what God did for St. Agatha is one of His works of almighty power; recall that there are psalms that one will have prayed already, and that the psalms acknowledge God’s works quite thoroughly. Do we really have to say that women are weaker than men? Can’t we acknowledge her virtue in a less obtuse way? The “heavenly birth” is pious to say, but the newer prayer seems somehow more keyed to a more natural, coherent theology; recall that we are now praying (once again?) in a language we know. “Heavenly birth” might be her death, but in English, “heavenly birth” sounds quite unusual, and in Latin–does anyone know Latin well enough to really contemplate in it? Truly? Also, do we necessarily want to “follow in her footsteps”? I’m not saying we reject martyrdom, but we don’t necessarily seek to become martyrs. The prayer does focus on “likewise attain[ing] unto thee” but the more recent prayer seems to focus more on the point: her intercession for us, which we need because we are sinners, and which she can offer because of her actions which are described more clearly.

I think what happens with those who self-describe as “traditionalists” is that they are displeased with the celebration of the new rites, and so they cast about for something more reverent. They encounter these earlier phrasings and they consider that they more fully express the faith. But Holy Mother Church, in fact, has made the liturgy better, not worse. The newer prayer, above, is more conducive, in my view, to contemplation and meditation. It is less wordy and repetitive, and yet doesn’t fail to acknowledge our need and our failings. And I think the key to perceiving this is faith: faith that the Church really does take care of us, faith that what She offers us really is for our spiritual benefit, faith that praying with the Church really is important. The more recent prayer is a better fit for our spiritual life, in my opinion. And it shouldn’t be said rapidly, but with deliberation: the earlier prayer book is so incredibly long that rushing through it becomes a virtual necessity.

Some Trad groups that use the older breviary only pray a couple of the hours, so that sanctifying the whole day becomes less likely. The new liturgy takes perhaps two hours to complete, possibly a little less, so that together with mass, contemplation and rosary the total time in prayer is perhaps 3 or 4 hours: really a much more plausible affair. Such prayer will be said more deliberately. I know one very old priest, bless his heart, who says the old breviary, and he just literally whips through the words: I’m not judging him, I just don’t agree that this is the way we should pray. I think God and Church want us to pray with more deliberation. Posture, tone, and thought: these all fit together in prayer life.

The new breviary includes a more select and broader range of readings, and the Scripture selections are keyed to the mass readings in many cases. Mass and breviary work together, and both are keyed to the Kalendar: how can one be separate from these, and be “with the Church”? Also, the saints are now honored in a way that generates fewer interruptions to the rotation through the psalter, and fewer repetitions. Avoiding repetitions and covering more of sacred Scripture is part of the general reform of all liturgies in the Church. Why would one want to be separated from this obvious trend, when our Church has indicated that She considers this to be for our benefit?

So those are some thoughts about how the new breviary differs from the old. God bless you!

I believe it was called the Divine Office and the books called the Breviary, from the Latin word Breviter, meaning brief. I have a fairly comprehensive web page on the Liturgy of teh Hours in general, at Liturgy of the Hours Resource Page

40.png
amasimp:
That is not true. Traditional orders such as the FSSP, ICK, Society of St. John, etc. still use the traditional Office. Even diocesan clergy can pray it. All they need is permission of the bishop.

As for a schismatic mentality…that is nonsense. Just because a person has an attachment to the former traditions and devotions of the Church does not cause one to develop a schismatic mentality. In a way, the Holy Father encourages us to seek those traditions. He called for bishops to have a wide and generous use of the TLM (which they aren’t), he asks people to start saying the St. Michael prayer, he has encouraged people to pray the rosary every day when that devotion had fallen by the wayside in the few decades following the Council.

I still stand by my recommendation of Breviary.net. While it does not have an imprimatur, it is a good resource for comparing the two versions of the Office. I could have sent the person who asked to Traditio, but the guy that runs that site is a nut.

If a person wants a Latin-English traditional Office, with Imprimatur and nihil obstat, look on ebay for the Collegville three volume edition.
The FSSP also publishes a Divine Office book, as does Angelus Press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back