Liturgy of the Hours rubric

  • Thread starter Thread starter Breviarylover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Breviarylover

Guest
There’s a rubric in the ordinary of the Office of Readings, after Psalm 95, that says:

“The psalm with its antiphon may be omitted when the invitatory precedes Morning Prayer.”

I’m assuming “the psalm with its antiphon” is Psalm 95. Psalm 95 (with its antiphon) may be ommited when the invitatory precedes morning prayer, but the “Lord open my lips. And my mouth will proclaim your praise” is still said. Right?

Thanks!

Breviarylover.
 
The antiphon “Lord open my lips…” precedes the Invitatory. The Invititory should be the first thing you pray that day. So, if Morning Prayer is the first prayer that you do from the Liturgy of the Hours you should start with “Lord open my lips…” and then pray the Invititory (Psalm 95 or one of the other optional Psalms).

You then transition into Morning Prayer with the antiphon of “Glory Be to the Father…”

If you say Evening Prayer, or any of the other Hours after Morning Prayer, you begin with the “Glory Be to the Father…” antiphon not “Lord open my lips”.

The Invititory is the “invitation”, or begin, of all the hours that you pray for the day. It is therefore always prayed only once a day.

Hope this makes sense.

Merry Christmas and all of God’s Blessings!
 
Thank you for the response. 🙂

I’m just wondering about this rubric:
“The psalm with its antiphon may be omitted when the invitatory precedes Morning Prayer.”
I’m assuming I still say “Lord, open my lips. And my mouth will proclaim your praise.” But do not say the Psalm (Ps. 95 or the other optional Ps.).

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Breviarylover
 
Can you give a page number reference from the current (Advent/Christmas) volume?
 
There’s a rubric in the ordinary of the Office of Readings, after Psalm 95, that says:

“The psalm with its antiphon may be omitted when the invitatory precedes Morning Prayer.”

I’m assuming “the psalm with its antiphon” is Psalm 95. Psalm 95 (with its antiphon) may be ommited when the invitatory precedes morning prayer, but the “Lord open my lips. And my mouth will proclaim your praise” is still said. Right?

Thanks!

Breviarylover.
No you do not. The “Lord open my lips”/“Lord open our lips” is attached to the invitatory. When the invitatory psalm is not said, then you should begin with “God come to my assistance”/“O God come to our aid”.
 
There’s a rubric in the ordinary of the Office of Readings, after Psalm 95, that says:

“The psalm with its antiphon may be omitted when the invitatory precedes Morning Prayer.”

I’m assuming “the psalm with its antiphon” is Psalm 95. Psalm 95 (with its antiphon) may be ommited when the invitatory precedes morning prayer, but the “Lord open my lips. And my mouth will proclaim your praise” is still said. Right?

Thanks!

Breviarylover.
Yes, omitting “God come to my assistance”.
 
There’s a rubric in the ordinary of the Office of Readings, after Psalm 95, that says:

“The psalm with its antiphon may be omitted when the invitatory precedes Morning Prayer.”

I’m assuming “the psalm with its antiphon” is Psalm 95. Psalm 95 (with its antiphon) may be ommited when the invitatory precedes morning prayer, but the “Lord open my lips. And my mouth will proclaim your praise” is still said. Right?

Thanks!

Breviarylover.
Let me take a try at this. I only have the one volume Christian Prayer, and I haven’t really tried to pray the Office of Readings, but I think I see what the confusion is.

The Invitatory, Morning Prayer, and the Office of Readings are three distinct prayer times, which can actually be prayed consecutively. The Invitatory always starts with “Lord, open my lips…” and then ordinarily (as in the Ordinary ;)) you pray Psalm 95.

Now, you found the rubric in question in the Ordinary for the Office of Readings, so the rubric applies only to the Office of Readings, but only if you have prayed Psalm 95 in the Invitatory that day. If the Invitatory is prayed at all, it always precedes Morning Prayer, so that is why they phrased it as they did. I think the idea is that we not pray the same Psalm twice in one day.

So, you would still pray the Invitatory with Psalm 95, as shown in the Ordinary of the Invitatory, then Morning Prayer, omitting “God, come to my assistance…”, and then you can pray the Office of Readings, but not Psalm 95 (there might be another rubric saying what you can sub in there, but if there’s not, then don’t worry).

I hope this helps 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top