Liturgy of the Hours

  • Thread starter Thread starter k8e308
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k8e308

Guest
I’m sure this has been asked and answered before, but is there a simple guide to the Liturgy of the Hours available? I have the Mass Readings app on my phone, and I’d love to use the LotH function, but I don’t know how.
 
You can find the LOTH at the Divine Office app. I don’t have a phone that gets apps, so I get it online at Divineoffice.org, where you can pick up a link to the app.

God bless
 
Mass Readings under droid app’s.
It has Daily Readings, LOTH, Rosary, Stations of the Cross and, Common Prayer.
It’s great. As long as you have a droid phone. Sorry I don’t have any information if you have an iphone.
Or for paper. “the divine office for do-do’s” available at most Christian book stores. It was what taught me. It has a great index to run you through the prayers to ensure you have done them correctly.
 
iBreviary is great (iPhone, but I think they have it on other phones, too)
 
Are the 4 volumes of the Liturgy of the Hours available? I’ve spoken with at least one company that says they’re being printed and are on back-order. Anyone know if this is the case with all Catholic bookstores?
 
Are the 4 volumes of the Liturgy of the Hours available? I’ve spoken with at least one company that says they’re being printed and are on back-order. Anyone know if this is the case with all Catholic bookstores?
You can get them here divineoffice.org/

This site also offders an App for the Iphone that provides the LOTH daily
 
I’m sure this has been asked and answered before, but is there a simple guide to the Liturgy of the Hours available? I have the Mass Readings app on my phone, and I’d love to use the LotH function, but I don’t know how.
I downloaded the app called “Mass Readings” for Android and looked at the LotH part. If we are talking about the same app, then you don’t need to know anything. It puts exactly what you need to say on any given day, all in the right order. Just choose the part of the day you want to pray under its menu, and then say what it tells you to. The only things not to say are the headings, which are in bold.

If you want to know the proper postures for the different sections, then here:

Introduction: Stand
Hymn: Stand
Psalms: Sit
Canticle: Sit
Reading: Sit
Responsory: Sit
Canticle Benedictus (Morning), Canticle Magnificat (Evening), Canticle Nunc Dimittis (Night): Stand
Prayers and Intercessions: Stand
Everything else until the end: Stand

The only other thing to remember is that you make the sign of the cross as you begin the introduction, as you say the very last line, and as you say the first line of the Canticle Benedictus, Canticle Magnificat, or Canticle Nunc Dimittis.
 
I downloaded the app called “Mass Readings” for Android and looked at the LotH part. If we are talking about the same app, then you don’t need to know anything. It puts exactly what you need to say on any given day, all in the right order. Just choose the part of the day you want to pray under its menu, and then say what it tells you to. The only things not to say are the headings, which are in bold.

If you want to know the proper postures for the different sections, then here:

Introduction: Stand
Hymn: Stand
Psalms: Sit
Canticle: Sit
Reading: Sit
Responsory: Sit
Canticle Benedictus (Morning), Canticle Magnificat (Evening), Canticle Nunc Dimittis (Night): Stand
Prayers and Intercessions: Stand
Everything else until the end: Stand

The only other thing to remember is that you make the sign of the cross as you begin the introduction, as you say the very last line, and as you say the first line of the Canticle Benedictus, Canticle Magnificat, or Canticle Nunc Dimittis.
I do them alone and sit throughout.
 
Thanks! Just ordered them. They’ll be here tomorrow.
BTW, got the APP for Iphone and find it to be excellent.
I like to use the app when I am pressed for time-I can listen while I drive to my apt.

You should get the 2011 st Joseph guide to the LOTH with your order. If not you can use the App to determine your ribbon placements.
 
I like to use the app when I am pressed for time-I can listen while I drive to my apt.

You should get the 2011 st Joseph guide to the LOTH with your order. If not you can use the App to determine your ribbon placements.
I appreciate that. I really just need to know that we’re in the 7th week of ordinary time (I think). From there I know what to do. I used to pray the LOTH back in the '80s, from 1980 to '87. Good thing to know about the app and listening to it.
 
I appreciate that. I really just need to know that we’re in the 7th week of ordinary time (I think). From there I know what to do. I used to pray the LOTH back in the '80s, from 1980 to '87. Good thing to know about the app and listening to it.
We are indeed in the seventh Week of ordinary time. Which means we are in week 3 of the Psalter
 
I downloaded the app called “Mass Readings” for Android and looked at the LotH part. If we are talking about the same app, then you don’t need to know anything. It puts exactly what you need to say on any given day, all in the right order. Just choose the part of the day you want to pray under its menu, and then say what it tells you to. The only things not to say are the headings, which are in bold.

If you want to know the proper postures for the different sections, then here:

Introduction: Stand
Hymn: Stand
Psalms: Sit
Canticle: Sit
Reading: Sit
Responsory: Sit
Canticle Benedictus (Morning), Canticle Magnificat (Evening), Canticle Nunc Dimittis (Night): Stand
Prayers and Intercessions: Stand
Everything else until the end: Stand

The only other thing to remember is that you make the sign of the cross as you begin the introduction, as you say the very last line, and as you say the first line of the Canticle Benedictus, Canticle Magnificat, or Canticle Nunc Dimittis.
In private recitation it is not necessary change posture. Sitting is OK. At our abbey one stands for the responsory. Also one rises at the last half of the last verse of a psalm or canticle, and bows at the doxology (“Glory be…”).

Also at the start of each gospel canticle, one crosses one’s self.
 
The Divine Office for Dodos: A Step-By-Step Guide to Praying the Liturgy of the Hours, by Madeline Pecora Nugent. Everything you ever wanted to know, from whether to choose the 1 volume or 4 volume version, down to a system for managing the ribbons. She insists you have to sing the hymns, even though it is not done for common prayer at our parish, but she explains everything, and in the most simple terms she can. I think she did a very nice job.
 
iBreviaryPro is a free app with Mass Readings and the Liturgy of the Hours. Not 100% - last week one day, I had only the Psalter, but pretty darn good for free!
 
Are the 4 volumes of the Liturgy of the Hours available? I’ve spoken with at least one company that says they’re being printed and are on back-order. Anyone know if this is the case with all Catholic bookstores?
You can check convent and abbey bookstores, as well: Benedictine, in particular, since from the nature of their charism, they may keep more sets in inventory than some other places. The Mt. Angel Abbey Bookstore sells books by mail order, and I’m sure that other monasteries do so, as well. The bonus is that the proceeds benefit the monks or sisters.
 
I currently am praying the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours and own the 2011 St. Joseph’s Guide - which I find very helpful. Is there an app for the iPhone that is similiar to the St. Joseph’s Guide which just tells the page number for the different hours?
 
You could learn how to do everything in the LOTH the old fashioned way, simply ask someone to show you.

I brought my copy of Christian Prayer to Mass and asked the priest afterward if I could ask him a few questions about the LOTH. He told me that one of our deacons used the same book and referred me to the deacon. The deacon showed me the basics, now to navigate the book, how to find the antiphons for Sundays and flipping about for some of the more complex feast days. I know that personal instruction is not available to everyone but it really can’t be beat.

Another surprise for me was going on vacation and arriving early for Mass to find a group who prayed the Liturgy, led by a priest, every day before Mass.I went to daily Mass every day that week, getting up a 6:30 AM instead of sleeping and my friends thought I was an idiot for doing so. It was awsome to do it with a group.

You could call around to different parishes and try to find one which prays the Liturgy of the Hours. That’s really the best way to learn and you get to meet devout Christian people.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top