Living as Brother and Sister

• Thread starter Thread starter Viki59
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Viki59

Does anyone have any advice for someone who finds that she and her husband have to live as sister and brother from now on?
Seems as if there should be a support group like Courage but there isn’t.

I posted this on Spirituality as it seems to be a gentler forum than the Moral Theology one.

Why must you live as sister and brother? Have you received this advice from a priest? Have you spoken to a priest? Without knowing the particulars (which may be too personal to share with the world here), it’s difficult to know how to advise you.
nianka

40.png
Viki59:
Does anyone have any advice for someone who finds that she and her husband have to live as sister and brother from now on?
Funny, there used to be a phrase “shotgun wedding” with related phrases, “have to get married.”

Personally if someone tried to tell me that my wife and I have to live as brother and sister than I’m not going to do it.

Of course, we don’t know the circumstances may yet I figured I’d start off by staking a position in the “defiant” range so to show clearly which way I’m liable to go.

If they set themselves up to be told this, then that’s their problem and they should shut up and not be defiant openly.

Alan

Please DO NOT give any details, we don’t require them, it’s none of our business, and the assumption is that you have reached this conclusion through the valid advice of your priest, or of your own conscience. NO details, please.

that being said, if it is indeed the case that a couple must live without sex for a period of time or even permanently, what is called for is to develop true love and intimacy on a deeper level outside the marriage bed. For instance, if a husband must refrain from sex while recovering from surgery, or a wife following a difficult childbirth, the other spouse should actively look for ways to show their love and compassion. Taking on what part of their physical care they can, doing extra kind things, little and big things, developing the art of conversation, finding other activities to enjoy together. T

The danger in such a situation is allowing it to drive you apart so you are more like sister and brother, living in the same house but disconnected lives, rather than like husband and wife, who make decisions and act together. Not that you have to be joined at the hip, but that you are sharing values, moving together in the same direction, consciously using your situation to move you closer to union with God. Using the energy for giving and welcoming life that usually is expended in the marriage act for giving in other ways, perhaps a shared ministry.

40.png
Viki59:
Seems as if there should be a support group like Courage but there isn’t.

I posted this on Spirituality as it seems to be a gentler forum than the Moral Theology one.
Yes,prayer and more prayer. Listening to one another and becoming best friends. Growing in faith and asking Mary and Joseph to be your prayer partners.

I don’t know why you have to live as brother and sister…but it can be a wonderful holy marriage if this is what must be. It’s not easy, but it is a blessing beyond comprehension if you abide with God’s will for your life.

Sometimes God places us in situations we would not seek. But He knows why and that is all that matters in the end. Physical love is a gift from God which is part of the ordinary life of man and wife. Few take the time to learn to know one another and go beyond the physical bond. Having to live in a celibate marriage is not a curse. It can be a blessing if you recognise it as so and strive to do so with God’s grace. Having done so for 35 years, due to my husbands cancer when we were young marrieds in our 20’s, I know of which I speak.

Celibacy is something which is not that hard when you know it is what you are called to. And true love is NOT impaired by it…it grows more holy and beautiful in loving one another as best friends through thick and thin. 🙂

Hope that helps,
God Bless,
Marie

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Personally if someone tried to tell me that my wife and I have to live as brother and sister than I’m not going to do it.

Of course, we don’t know the circumstances may yet I figured I’d start off by staking a position in the “defiant” range so to show clearly which way I’m liable to go.

If they set themselves up to be told this, then that’s their problem and they should shut up and not be defiant openly.

Alan
UM! Alan…if God so chooses I would hope you could accept and learn to love more deeply your wife. As to saying they should shut up…Good grief! Where are your manners?

40.png
Marie:
UM! Alan…if God so chooses I would hope you could accept and learn to love more deeply your wife. As to saying they should shut up…Good grief! Where are your manners?
Maybe I better have phrased it, “if they set themselves up for this, then they should humbly accept it without arguing against it.”

We did “brother and sister” for nearly a year due to medical situation involving our youngest son, placenta previa, and then a C-section, and then some stuff you don’t even want to know involving mental illness.

Yes, I suppose I’d take it into account, but as far as I’m concerned my wife and I are one, and I’m not going to let anybody, no matter how religiously educated he is, to “dictate” to us what we do. Suggest, maybe, and even for spiritual development. If they say I must do this permanently because of something that it is in the past and in somebody else’s mind is inhibiting us from having a proper marriage now, then I say thank you for the kind advice. Then I go home and make the decision, together with my wife, as to how we plan to live.

If the Church actually forced me into making a decision between my herself and my wife, my wife would win. I don’t believe any advice that will separate us is from God, even if somebody with a funny hat or nice collar tells me – OK cheap shot, somebody with “credentials” in spirituality, as if credentials make one infallible.

If I go against “spiritual advice” from the Church, I am fully aware that I am now responsible for my own salvation, and I’ll have to answer to God for it. I am that confident in my marriage that I will, as I said, listen to spiritual advice, but ultimately nobody is going to find my marriage invalid and me believe it because that is out of bounds. I have no fear of telling God that I believe in my marriage, and that I did what I thought was best for us.

I’ve had some experience at professionals trying intervene in our marriage. It isn’t pretty. Some doctors who locked me up in a psycho ward without any basis to do so, were shocked after two days when I hadn’t signed myself in, and began to get nervous. They had a doctor call me in for an interview, while they called my wife at home and lied to her about how she must, for MY benefit, get down to the courthouse and have me committed. They told her that if she didn’t do it, it would only hurt ME because then the professionals would have to take me to court and it would get very ugly.

She called me, confused and frantic, and told me what they said. I told her, “as far as I’m concerned, if you sign anything that gives me away to an outside authority, then as far as I’m concerned we are not married.”

Then I raised some serious hell and got a straight answer to what they had told her. I was angry and frustrated, but I knew I was beaten. Who would listen to a psycho patient when there are several doctors with careers and images at stake? Maybe I did need psychiatric help but I did not need or allow them to take my civil liberties away because I was in no way a danger to myself or others. If it weren’t for my wife, (maybe this is one of the reasons why Jesus wasn’t married) I would love to go before a judge and see what garbage they spewed to show that they had justification to lock me up when they did so without a single doctor even talking to me, basing most of their observations on a third hand report from a stupid clerk at work – who thought I needed “help” against the better advice of my engineering coworkers who thought I was fine, and when my boss was out of town.

As I said, I knew I was beaten, and to protect Julie from having to go through any more of Big Medicine’s mental abuse – which they are quite good at serving up – I went ahead and signed myself in. This was even in a Catholic hospital, against the U.S. Bishops’ policy against proper treatment of Catholic hospital guests, but what are you going to do? I’m so impressed that she saw through their bullsh*t and

Another time, a counselor many years ago told my wife that she needed to work out her own problems, and that I was adding to them so she should get a divorce, when she only met my wife 45 minutes earlier. The counselor was pleased with her recent divorce, and apparently thought everybody should have one.

Sorry, but my wife and I are the final authorities over whether we let outsiders dictate our relationship. Others are welcome to their opinion, and may suggest, advise, whatever, but not dictate. What God has joined, let no man tear apart. If others don’t think God has actually joined us, then I’m sorry but that’s just too bad, and I don’t buy it as an “infallible” opinion. I’d never have a tribunal review my marriage for my benefit, so the situation is unlikely to happen.

Oh, by the way, the hospital collected nearly $15,000 from my insurance company for the whole deal. Everybody smiled, because I signed myself in so they were just supplying treatment I requested. I don’t suppose that factored money into their ideas about how nice it would be for me to cooperate with them even though they seemed to me like they “cut a few corners” on procedures. Mental health care is much better than it was in the middle ages, perhaps, but the procedures are clearly in place to protect the system, not the individual patient.

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Maybe I better have phrased it, “if they set themselves up for this, then they should humbly accept it without arguing against it.”

We did “brother and sister” for nearly a year due to medical situation involving our youngest son, placenta previa, and then a C-section, and then some stuff you don’t even want to know involving mental illness.

Yes, I suppose I’d take it into account

Alan
I can appreciate your difficulties. Sounds like you have been through a lot. God bless you and yours. 🙂

I think the poster has decided the situation warrents it, but wants to know how to maintaine the relationship in their situation, which is unknown to us.

Medical or religious it doesn’t matter. She just wants spiritual support from those who have been there, done that and made it through.

You have been there out of nessecity due to the C-Section. So that is the bottom line. Loving one another fully without the physical aspect being able to figure in the relationship.

40.png
Marie:
I can appreciate your difficulties. Sounds like you have been through a lot. God bless you and yours. 🙂

I think the poster has decided the situation warrents it, but wants to know how to maintaine the relationship in their situation, which is unknown to us.

Medical or religious it doesn’t matter. She just wants spiritual support from those who have been there, done that and made it through.

You have been there out of nessecity due to the C-Section. So that is the bottom line. Loving one another fully without the physical aspect being able to figure in the relationship.
Thank you for your kind reply, and for your different way to look at it. I apologize for dumping and appreciate your patience.

Hopefully I didn’t cause the OP to regret having posted in this “gentler” forum. :o

Right now the less I write on this the better. I’ll check back if I think of something useful.

Alan

40.png
Marie:
Yes,prayer and more prayer. Listening to one another and becoming best friends. Growing in faith and asking Mary and Joseph to be your prayer partners.

I don’t know why you have to live as brother and sister…but it can be a wonderful holy marriage if this is what must be. It’s not easy, but it is a blessing beyond comprehension if you abide with God’s will for your life.

Sometimes God places us in situations we would not seek. But He knows why and that is all that matters in the end. Physical love is a gift from God which is part of the ordinary life of man and wife. Few take the time to learn to know one another and go beyond the physical bond. Having to live in a celibate marriage is not a curse. It can be a blessing if you recognise it as so and strive to do so with God’s grace. Having done so for 35 years, due to my husbands cancer when we were young marrieds in our 20’s, I know of which I speak.

Celibacy is something which is not that hard when you know it is what you are called to. And true love is NOT impaired by it…it grows more holy and beautiful in loving one another as best friends through thick and thin. 🙂

Hope that helps,
God Bless,
Marie
Great lived out testimony. I would add to read about the saints and the heroic virtue that they lived to carry the crosses that were given to them for their sanctification and growth in holiness. There are different types of unions and embraces than just the sexual in marriage. God never gives us more than we can handle, its just the asking and receiving and keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus that I stumble over. He is there to meet every need. When the going gets real tough, join Jesus more closely on the road to Calvary–He is there, always ready to share our burden as we unite our suffering with Him. Know that you are not alone, others couples have and are living this same cross in quiet and hidden virtue. It also helps to keep the eternal perspective …your present affliction is not forever, …this too shall pass. It is the supernatural, faith-filled life that He calls us to. God bless.

Thank you for all your great answers. Even Alan’s. Believe me, humble submission was not my first response!
Yes, I’ve spoken with an apologist. You don’t need to know the details – suffice it to say that if we had been Catholic at the time we wouldn’t have been allowed to marry, but we did, and now have two children so are not about to split. I suspect that God allowed this to come about for His own purposes.
I especially appreciate your response, Marie. I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger. I am offering up my sexuality in reparation for all those who misuse theirs, not that it will go very far. But at times I think that someone should abstain when the whole society is lust-crazed.
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the carnal side of life. But there’s a time and place.
I’d rather be in God’s will than do anything else, so although this has been a hard choice, it’s not impossible.

40.png
nianka:
Why must you live as sister and brother? Have you received this advice from a priest? Have you spoken to a priest? Without knowing the particulars (which may be too personal to share with the world here), it’s difficult to know how to advise you.
nianka
I humbly apologize to everyone in this thread, and especially the original poster. I’ve never heard this term and was completely confused. I should have held my tongue and waited for others to reply who know what they’re talking about.
Again, please accept my apologies.
nianka

40.png
Viki59:
Thank you for all your great answers. Even Alan’s. Believe me, humble submission was not my first response!
I suspect that God allowed this to come about for His own purposes. I especially appreciate your response, Marie. I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger. I am offering up my sexuality in reparation for all those who misuse theirs, not that it will go very far. But at times I think that someone should abstain when the whole society is lust-crazed.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the carnal side of life. But there’s a time and place.

I’d rather be in God’s will than do anything else, so although this has been a hard choice, it’s not impossible.
Believe me…humble submission would be a rare response. I being no saint, wasn’t a happy camper either. 🙂 But time and prayer and GRACE do work for the good. It would be nice if God handed us a signed letter stating it was a good thing and why. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. 😉

Your doing fine…And it is a good and Holy thing even if the world say’s otherwise.

If we, by our sacrifice can provide grace for but one soul…I count it all worth the price. Never under estimate God’s generosity to those who offer the big and the little problems of life into His hands. He can move mountains. I just have to move a few inches…from mind (Will) to Heart. He will take care of the rest.

God Bless,
Marie

40.png
nianka:
I humbly apologize to everyone in this thread, and especially the original poster. I’ve never heard this term and was completely confused. I should have held my tongue and waited for others to reply who know what they’re talking about.
nianka
No need to apologise, Nianka. There can be many reasons for the need to live as brother and sister - it is certainly better to do this than to separate!

There are a number of physical illnesses or conditions that can result in the husband becoming unable to complete the sexual act, and that, in itself, will decide the matter. Could a wife abandon her husband for a condition outside his control? I hope not!

This is only one example - there can be many others, some permanent, some not. This is part of the “for better or for worse, in sickness and in health” that we vow when we marry. God will always give the necessary grace to cope.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
… I would love to go before a judge and see what garbage they spewed to show that they had justification to lock me up when they did so without a single doctor even talking to me, basing most of their observations on a third hand report from a stupid clerk at work…
I wouldn’t. Just a couple of months ago a judge ordered a woman to be die of thirst after listening to a handful of MDs who had never examined her and refering to a symptom as an illness. We all know who I’m talking about… :crying:
:blessyou:

40.png
nianka:
nianka
No need to apologize. You were not in any way disrespectful. You had questions and sincerely wanted to help. 😉

Vicki59,
May the Lord give you and your husband strengh to endure. Yes couples are able to do this. As a surviving Testicular Cancer patient, I know. My wife , my friend for 17 years held my hand during my trial. When the storm passed. The Lord revealed all she did for me by his Will. We had our marriage blessed after 17 years of sin. Her enduring faith has brought All of our family back to church. Humble yes, battlescared, sure, but we are the Lords. For us, a short time of celibicy, helped us. Other TC patients and wifes may have to endure the rest of their lives, but the Grace is real. God Bless, Tim

40.png
TOP:
Vicki59,
May the Lord give you and your husband strengh to endure. Yes couples are able to do this. As a surviving Testicular Cancer patient, I know. My wife , my friend for 17 years held my hand during my trial. When the storm passed. The Lord revealed all she did for me by his Will. We had our marriage blessed after 17 years of sin. Her enduring faith has brought All of our family back to church. Humble yes, battlescared, sure, but we are the Lords. For us, a short time of celibicy, helped us. Other TC patients and wifes may have to endure the rest of their lives, but the Grace is real. God Bless, Tim
:amen: :blessyou: So true Tim. You are in our prayers. We count on your prayers too for us all. 🙂

Um, does no one else out there have small children that wander to mom and dad’s room all night long? Sure makes the brother-sister thing much easier to accomplish. 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back