Living as brother/sister during annulment process

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seen_The_Light
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seen_The_Light

Guest
Has anyone experienced this? Or had a spouse that refused to live that way?

I married my husband (who was previously divorced) when we were both Mormons. We had a

civil ceremony and then were later sealed in the temple. The Mormon church did not have a

problem with divorce. I have since returned to the Catholic church, and have started the

anullment process. My husband agreed to live as brother/sister for a short while, (we thought

our situation would be a Ligamen Petition), turns out we have to do the anullment. My husband

now says he will not live as brother/sister for up to two years because he does not

believe in all this Catholic baloney. He knows that we were sealed by the true priesthood in the

temple of the Lord and we have a valid marriage.

What to do?
 
Has anyone experienced this? Or had a spouse that refused to live that way?

I married my husband (who was previously divorced) when we were both Mormons. We had a

civil ceremony and then were later sealed in the temple. The Mormon church did not have a

problem with divorce. I have since returned to the Catholic church, and have started the

anullment process. My husband agreed to live as brother/sister for a short while, (we thought

our situation would be a Ligamen Petition), turns out we have to do the anullment. My husband

now says he will not live as brother/sister for up to two years because he does not

believe in all this Catholic baloney. He knows that we were sealed by the true priesthood in the

temple of the Lord and we have a valid marriage.

What to do?
You mentioned you returned to the Catholic Church and are working toward the anullment. I can only answer for you if you are Roman Catholic Rite (under a Diocesan or Archdiocesan Bishop). If you are a Catholic in another Rite,then you need to follow the guidelines in that specific Rite. I’ll answer within Roman Catholic Rite.

Are you registered in your church parish? Have you received your sacraments? (Baptism, Holy Communion, Confirmation). If not, contact your parish office toward sacramental preparation.

Anullment documents are under review under a diocesan Marriage Tribunal. There are no similar cases involved. Each case is treated individually. Have you contacted the priest in your parish? Registering at the parish office and receiving paperwork for anullment is good, but an appointment meeting your priest is highly advised.
 
Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about your situation! I have been through the process myself, as my husband was married and divorced prior to our civil marriage, then we both came into the Catholic Church at the same time, although we only had a few months of celibacy to live through. So I have been there, but not quite where you are.

I don’t have any advice as far as the actual annulment process goes, as ours was very simple. My husband was not onboard the Catholic bandwagon sotospeak when we first started to live celibately, so it was a very difficult thing for him to accept at first. He did come around after a week or so once he understood what the Church meant. I think it was a matter of him understanding *why *it was so important. It sounds like your husband may have the same kind of issue, i.e., I don’t believe all this Catholic ****, so why do I have to suffer? I would start there; if he has a love for God (no matter his faith/denomination), you can try to appeal to him that way. Like, "sweetie, if you *did *believe x, y and z were true (which is what I believe now that I’m going to be a Catholic), wouldn’t you want to do what God asked of you? I love God and want to do what I believe he wants. And if you love God and you love me too… " If he is a man of faith, I think that would be the most effective way to go about it.
 
First of all, your situation with your husband (civil, Mormon temple etc.) doesn’t have bearing on the validity of the marriage one of you had been in before. That marriage must be addressed on its own merits. From your post, I can’t tell what chances you would have or how simple the procedure would be.
 
Thanks Sarahraegraham for the advice, I have been trying every angle. I think he may be coming around, although reluctantly. Here’s hoping!

(My case is in the hands of the Tribunal)

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top