Living simply

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt25

St John Chrysostom said-

“The rich usually imagine that, if they do not physically rob the poor they are committing no sin. But the sin of the rich consists in not sharing their wealth with the poor. In fact, the rich person who keeps all his wealth for himself is committing an form of robbery. The reason is that in truth all wealth comes from God, and so belongs to everyone equally.”

So how sinful is the inaugural going to be

Extravagant inaugural does not fit the times
The Virginian-Pilot
© January 11, 2005
Last updated: 6:16 PM
A presidential inauguration is a reaffirmation of our democracy, a celebration of the transition of governmental power without bloodshed or revolution.

It’s also a chance for the winner to crow, and, in the wake of a grueling election, celebrate his triumph before the nation and the world.

We don’t begrudge President Bush his moment in the sun. After all, he won last fall’s election fair and square. He deserves to mark his ascendancy to the realm of two-term presidents.

But, given the president’s constant reminders that “we’re a nation at war,” we wonder if it might be more appropriate for this year’s inauguration to be a tad low-key.

This isn’t a money issue. Taxpayers will foot a $1.25 million bill, administered by the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugurals that oversees the swearing-in ceremony. In the scheme of governmental expenditures, that’s budget dust.

And the lion’s share of the estimated $30 million to $40 million cost of the inaugural parade, balls and dinners will come from private donors.

This is about image.

This is the first presidential inauguration since the terrorist strikes of Sept. 11, 2001, the deadliest attack on America in 60 years.

And when violence in Iraq is escalating, our young men and women in uniform are dying, and just six miles away, hundreds more are sitting in Walter Reed Army Medical center horribly maimed or missing limbs, it’s somewhat unseemly for Bush to be whooping up his wartime presidency.

Heck, even Hollywood toned down Oscar night after 9/11. And it celebrates the world of fiction and make-believe.

Bush’s supporters argue that, of all American wartime presidents, only Franklin D. Roosevelt, at his fourth swearing-in, advocated for inaugural austerity.

But Abraham Lincoln, Dwight D. Eisenhower and other wartime leaders didn’t live in a world of 24-hour cable channels and all-news-all-the-time Internet, available to any world citizen with a modem or a satellite dish.

The unfortunate reality of our age is that image matters. With America embroiled in three wars simultaneously, the nation is in a somber mood, not a party-hearty one.

Bush has done a good thing by holding a first-ever commander in chief’s ball, giving away 2,000 free tickets to military personnel who have served in Iraq and their family members.

But while the world is watching our democracy change hands, Bush would better serve our already tarnished international image by toning down a bit of the luster encompassing his merrymaking.
Code:
[home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=80339&ran=216524](http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=80339&ran=216524)

I agree–it is wrong. Yet again, I also feel it is flat wrong for a baseball player to make 25,000,000 a year, or movie actors making 20,000,000 per movie…or CEO’s making millions each year while they busily lay-off hundreds of workers.

If I were the President, I would have a private swearing-in ceremony, followed by a simple party (and I “am” a Bush supporter). The thing is, President Bush is a Christian, yet he is NOT a Catholic, and frankly non-Catholic Christians often have a different view of these matters…

I think the swearing in should be public. but i don’t see any reason lots of money should be spent on parties. Everyone should be praying for the President and the Nation and the Unborn – at the Right to Life mass and march.

all for JESUS!!
lonnie

I see it as America’s Celebration of Democracy! Why not Celebrate it? From what I hear there are going to be a LOT of tributes to soldiers and military - are those overboard?

When Bush won the first time, he was told not to celebrate too big, because he won by such a thin margin, and he didn’t have the “right” to do it. Personally I think if John Kerry would have been elected the media may have other thoughts on this, that no party is too big to celebrate it. Just my .02

While I think that the inauguration, a parade, and perhaps a simple evening dinner-dance is in order, I’m not so sure that the great hullabaloo is necessarily as appropriate for the second time around.

The reality, of course, is that what this is all about is a payback party for everybody who donated money and effort to win the election. And, while I like the festivity and think that it serves a good purpose, it does seem to be a bit baroque in a situation like we presently have. OTOH, as tom notes, this does create a lot of work for people, also. But I do recall when Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize and asked that the festive balls and all be foregone, with the money given to the needy.

This thought: if we want to “celebrate democracy”, why don’t we do this every two years when the Congress is inaugurated more than for the Presidential date?

Bill Clinton certainly didn’t act like he was feeling anybody’s pain when he had his innaugural balls. So, if it was OK for him to throw a party, why is it not OK for President Bush? Oh… that’s right… there were no poor people, there was no war, at that time… everything was perfect under Slick Willy’s saintly administration… :whistle: :whacky:

When I was in the 10th grade I went to President Carters innaugural celebrations, and outside of the fact that it was dangerously cold, we had a blast. To know that anyone who could get there was welcome, each state has a reception, no invitation required,(unlike the balls), and that the president could show up at any of the functions without prior notice, was so cool. But that was then, these days it is all about security, I doubt he will be allow to walk much of the parade route, if any of it, and to get an invite to one of the parties he’ll be at, you would have to be pre-screened out the wazoo.

I say let them party, let them let their hair down and have a great time, they’ve earned the right.
Linda H.

The inauguration celebrates our Republic and from time to time, underscores the** peaceful** passing of power. I believe it should be celebrated with great fanfare.

40.png
Matt25:
St John Chrysostom said-

“The rich usually imagine that, if they do not physically rob the poor they are committing no sin. But the sin of the rich consists in not sharing their wealth with the poor. In fact, the rich person who keeps all his wealth for himself is committing an form of robbery. The reason is that in truth all wealth comes from God, and so belongs to everyone equally.”

So how sinful is the inaugural going to be
It seems to me that you assume a lot. The $30-40 Million is from donors. Do you know whether or not those donors share their wealth with the poor? I heard the same complaints when our diocese spent the millions necessary to remodel the cathedral - not that these are equivalent, just that the argument is the same.

As far as St John’s belief that wealth belongs to everyone equally, do you really believe that? I do believe that all wealth comes from God, but I believe his desire for us to be good stewards is not the same as “sharing equally”. That is the ideal of communism, and it isn’t likely to ever work.

Now, if it were me personally, I might not have an inaugural party. However, I probably won’t ever be in that position. 😃 I do notice, as others posted, that liberals seem to save their complaints about such things for a conservative event. Now, why might that be? :hmmm:

God Bless,

Robert.

…of all American wartime presidents, only Franklin D. Roosevelt, at his fourth swearing-in, advocated for inaugural austerity.
And do you know why???

It wasn’t for austerity’s sake.

He was SICK. Needed to go to bed early!!

40.png
OraProNobis:
Bill Clinton certainly didn’t act like he was feeling anybody’s pain when he had his innaugural balls. So, if it was OK for him to throw a party, why is it not OK for President Bush? Oh… that’s right… there were no poor people, there was no war, at that time… everything was perfect under Slick Willy’s saintly administration… :whistle: :whacky:
I agree, O.P.N. , “W” should celebrate democracy…our country can multi task—prosecute a war, celebrate democracy and work on social security!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back