LOH - Office Reading are we in Year 1 or Year 2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miraluna
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miraluna

Guest
I added the Office Readings to my morning prayer and evening prayer as a Lenten practice. I use the Christian Prayer (not the shorter form and not the 4 volume set - I guess, the one in the middle). I noticed that the first reading can come from Hebrews or Exodus for this week of Lent. I went to the back of the book to see the breakdown of those per day. The problems is that there are 2 columns (one for year 1 and the other year 2). Which year are we in?

Thanks!
 
We are in Year One.

As a rule, if the year is mostly in an odd-numbered year (keeping mind that the church’s calendar begins on the First Sunday of Advent, which will be at the end of an even-numbered year), then that is Year One. Odd number to odd number.

If the year is mostly in an even-numbered year, then that is Year Two.

So now in 2009, we are in an odd numbered year, so this is Year One (One being an odd number as well). The Year One readings, though, began on the First Sunday of Advent, which was at the end of an even-numbered year, 2008. Still, most of the cycle is in an odd numbered-year on and after January 1st.

Year Two will begin this year on November 29th, The First Sunday of Advent, and go into an even-numbered year, 2010.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top