F
FeralFemale
Guest
Here is the post I am talking about
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=470577
I was seriously considering divorcing my husband because of his drinking. Someone posted that I should call the cops on him because he was drinking and driving…I didn’t because I knew that the route home didn’t endanger anyone else and…worse…that it would affect my life too much.
Well, the inevitable happened. He was arrested for dwi…in the bar parking lot, ironically. The idiot refused a breathelyzer so he got the worst sentence he could get for a one time dwi. He lost his job because of it…and all sorts of other just peachy and wonderful stuff. He still doesn’t have a job, by the way. He lost his license so he can’t get to a job – not unless he (we) pay a monthly fee for something he has to blow into every time he drives. We could afford that, but he still hasn’t gotten a job.
I hoped the dwi would end up being a good thing…and it was…for a time. He quit drinking for about two or three weeks. Know when he started again? When he had to go into town for the court mandated AA meetings. He was in town and couldn’t stay away from the bar. Whatever the AA meetings and court mandated substance abuse therapy dredged up made him go right back to drinking.
I tried to be understanding. He is a sensitive sort, and I could almost understand, as angry as I was, that the meetings and therapy would drive him to drink. He is sensitive but not all that introspective.
He started being a house husband and taking care of me, dinner, etc, but he kept going to the bar that one time a week when he went to his meeting. To be honest, I was kind of relieved. He was spending every night for hours at the bar, so one night a week seemed like heaven.
Now those no account dirtbags he calls friends are giving him rides to and from the bar. He is going around four days a week. Yes…I said days…he is going during the afternoons while I am at work. When I come home and see he is not here I just about want to smash every window in the house.
I cannot do this anymore. We have not gone to therapy because I don’t see the point. He has been going and it hasn’t helped. He lies to the therapist, I’m sure.
I want out. Out out out. I wasted the best years of my life on him. And because of his drunkeness we are childless. I am 40 years old with no hope of having children.
I am tired of being ‘understanding’. I am tired of looking at his alcoholism as a ‘disease’. I don’t care how much he loves me or how much I love him. I’ve got nothing anymore in this world except for my career. All he is at this point is a burden. I know I took this burden on when we married. I made a commitment to him and God. But I can’t deal with this anymore.
Tonight he came home at 5:30pm absolutely wasted. He passed out on the couch and stumbled upstairs to bed a couple of hours later.
He was not like this when we married…or maybe he was. I don’t know. We were younger and everyone went out every night and partied. I stopped. He didn’t.
This week I will start a new bank account and cut him off. What else is there to do? I’m sure there will be blow back…but…you know…I have been doing well for myself. I’ve been getting promotions and raises and, yet, we still never seem to have any money because of his drinking. I’ve had enough. I’m sick of working very hard, every day, and never seeing the reward because of him. I am sick of worrying about him when he isn’t home and out drinking.
Thank you for reading. I guess I don’t have a question. I needed to rant. I know what I need to do…
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=470577
I was seriously considering divorcing my husband because of his drinking. Someone posted that I should call the cops on him because he was drinking and driving…I didn’t because I knew that the route home didn’t endanger anyone else and…worse…that it would affect my life too much.
Well, the inevitable happened. He was arrested for dwi…in the bar parking lot, ironically. The idiot refused a breathelyzer so he got the worst sentence he could get for a one time dwi. He lost his job because of it…and all sorts of other just peachy and wonderful stuff. He still doesn’t have a job, by the way. He lost his license so he can’t get to a job – not unless he (we) pay a monthly fee for something he has to blow into every time he drives. We could afford that, but he still hasn’t gotten a job.
I hoped the dwi would end up being a good thing…and it was…for a time. He quit drinking for about two or three weeks. Know when he started again? When he had to go into town for the court mandated AA meetings. He was in town and couldn’t stay away from the bar. Whatever the AA meetings and court mandated substance abuse therapy dredged up made him go right back to drinking.
I tried to be understanding. He is a sensitive sort, and I could almost understand, as angry as I was, that the meetings and therapy would drive him to drink. He is sensitive but not all that introspective.
He started being a house husband and taking care of me, dinner, etc, but he kept going to the bar that one time a week when he went to his meeting. To be honest, I was kind of relieved. He was spending every night for hours at the bar, so one night a week seemed like heaven.
Now those no account dirtbags he calls friends are giving him rides to and from the bar. He is going around four days a week. Yes…I said days…he is going during the afternoons while I am at work. When I come home and see he is not here I just about want to smash every window in the house.
I cannot do this anymore. We have not gone to therapy because I don’t see the point. He has been going and it hasn’t helped. He lies to the therapist, I’m sure.
I want out. Out out out. I wasted the best years of my life on him. And because of his drunkeness we are childless. I am 40 years old with no hope of having children.
I am tired of being ‘understanding’. I am tired of looking at his alcoholism as a ‘disease’. I don’t care how much he loves me or how much I love him. I’ve got nothing anymore in this world except for my career. All he is at this point is a burden. I know I took this burden on when we married. I made a commitment to him and God. But I can’t deal with this anymore.
Tonight he came home at 5:30pm absolutely wasted. He passed out on the couch and stumbled upstairs to bed a couple of hours later.
He was not like this when we married…or maybe he was. I don’t know. We were younger and everyone went out every night and partied. I stopped. He didn’t.
This week I will start a new bank account and cut him off. What else is there to do? I’m sure there will be blow back…but…you know…I have been doing well for myself. I’ve been getting promotions and raises and, yet, we still never seem to have any money because of his drinking. I’ve had enough. I’m sick of working very hard, every day, and never seeing the reward because of him. I am sick of worrying about him when he isn’t home and out drinking.
Thank you for reading. I guess I don’t have a question. I needed to rant. I know what I need to do…