Lookin for Bibles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cruxis117
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cruxis117

Guest
I’ve been looking for some new Catholic bibles. For the last year I’ve, more than ever, been delving into the Catholic faith, and lately I’ve been wanting to get a new Bible. I own two Protestant bibles (unknowingly bought, once at my confirmation years ago, the other recently) and a Catholic NAB, St. Joeseph Edition. The other two are NRSV and NIRV. I was looking at a Catholic Edition of an NRSV, but I’m not sure what edition or version I should pick up. Any help is much appreciated.
 
The best bible today is the revised standard version, 2nd catholic edition. This should be the basic bible to have available at home…

Ignatius press just released their study bible of the New Testament. It is a great second reference for commentary.

The Navarre Bible, New Testament is another version that has commentary and is faithful to the Magisterium of the Church.

I carry a New Testament with Psalms that is the Douay-Rheims version. This is older text, a bit more difficult to read, but a very good reference.

I also have a pocket version similar to this last one that is called the Challoner-Rheims version, or Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.

These last two are a direct translation from the Latin Vulgate. This is the official bible of the church.

All bibles mentioned here are catholic and worth having. Stay away from other versions, in my opinion.
 
The best bible today is the revised standard version, 2nd catholic edition. This should be the basic bible to have available at home…

Ignatius press just released their study bible of the New Testament. It is a great second reference for commentary.

The Navarre Bible, New Testament is another version that has commentary and is faithful to the Magisterium of the Church.

I carry a New Testament with Psalms that is the Douay-Rheims version. This is older text, a bit more difficult to read, but a very good reference.

I also have a pocket version similar to this last one that is called the Challoner-Rheims version, or Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.

These last two are a direct translation from the Latin Vulgate. This is the official bible of the church.

All bibles mentioned here are catholic and worth having. Stay away from other versions, in my opinion.
You have a pocket version of the NT? Where did you get it? And is it possible to get a similar one that you have on Amazon or something? Because I always carry an NT on me, but sadly it is a Gideon version, so ultimately I don’t like it (for obvious reasons), but I’m stuck with it until I have something better. I’m aware of the 2nd Edition RSV from Ignatius, and I’ve just rented the NT Study by Ignatius and it’s amazing.
 
I’ve been looking for some new Catholic bibles. For the last year I’ve, more than ever, been delving into the Catholic faith, and lately I’ve been wanting to get a new Bible. I own two Protestant bibles (unknowingly bought, once at my confirmation years ago, the other recently) and a Catholic NAB, St. Joeseph Edition. The other two are NRSV and NIRV. I was looking at a Catholic Edition of an NRSV, but I’m not sure what edition or version I should pick up. Any help is much appreciated.
NIRV does not come in a Catholic edition.
NRSV is fine for private reading and devotion, so is the RSV-CE or the Jerusalem Bible. Good News or TEV should be used only by children or someone struggling with standard English. NAB however is the version used in liturgy in the USA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top