Looking for a good Old Testament commentary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tepeyac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tepeyac

Guest
Can anyone on the forum recomend a good Old Testament commentary? I have the New Testament booklets from the Ignatius Study Bible and I plan on getting the one volume New Testament and the complete Bible when it’s (finally) released but I’d like something to check when a Mass reading is taken from the Old Testament. I have a New American Bible and I’m tempted to use its study notes but I know there are problems with ithem. I know about the Navarre Bible, are there any other study bibles or commentaries you can suggest for the Old Testament? Thanks.
 
Can anyone on the forum recomend a good Old Testament commentary? I have the New Testament booklets from the Ignatius Study Bible and I plan on getting the one volume New Testament and the complete Bible when it’s (finally) released but I’d like something to check when a Mass reading is taken from the Old Testament. I have a New American Bible and I’m tempted to use its study notes but I know there are problems with ithem. I know about the Navarre Bible, are there any other study bibles or commentaries you can suggest for the Old Testament? Thanks.
The Navarre Bible Commentary is a good one.

catholiccompany.com/catholic-catalog/466/Navarre-Bible/
 
The Haydock commentary is decent, but it’s also a bit dated. I have found it to be quite narrow and anti-semitic in parts of the commentary, which has been quite unsettling. As a result, I have had to look at other commentaries to gain perspective.

I have found some of the very best commentary on the Old Testament by looking at original Jewish sources.

For a good introductory text on the first 5 books of the Old Testament, try the Art Scroll Stone Edition of the Chumash (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers). The commentary is not Catholic, but it is very, very insightful as to the background, history, and original meaning of the Old Testament:

artscroll.com/stonechumash.html

I can’t speak highly enough of this commentary. It is easy to read and understand, and gives a good background on the first 5 books of the Old Testament from a Jewish perspective. Again, this reference is not Catholic, so you have to keep in mind that the Jewish commentators are only commenting from their particular belief system. Nevertheless, I have found this one book to be an excellent resource for understanding the Old Testament, especially if one does not read Hebrew.

There are several well-known Jewish commentators on the Bible. Rashi and Ramban are the two most popular. Their commentaries are excellent as well. Art Scroll carries several volumes of both.

I would also recommend that you consider picking up the Anchor Bible Dictionary in 6 volumes. This is more of an academic work, but is pretty comprehensive in scope:

amazon.com/Anchor-Bible-Dictionary-Set/dp/038542583X

If you combine all of these resources in addition to Catholic resources such as the Haydock, you will have more than enough ammunition and references to be able to decipher most any Biblical passage in the Old Testament.

For the New Testament, consider Thomas Aquinas’ “Catena Aurea”:

baroniuspress.com/
 
The Haydock commentary is decent, but it’s also a bit dated. I have found it to be quite narrow and anti-semitic in parts of the commentary, which has been quite unsettling. As a result, I have had to look at other commentaries to gain perspective.

I have found some of the very best commentary on the Old Testament by looking at original Jewish sources.

For a good introductory text on the first 5 books of the Old Testament, try the Art Scroll Stone Edition of the Chumash (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers). The commentary is not Catholic, but it is very, very insightful as to the background, history, and original meaning of the Old Testament:

artscroll.com/stonechumash.html

I can’t speak highly enough of this commentary. It is easy to read and understand, and gives a good background on the first 5 books of the Old Testament from a Jewish perspective. Again, this reference is not Catholic, so you have to keep in mind that the Jewish commentators are only commenting from their particular belief system. Nevertheless, I have found this one book to be an excellent resource for understanding the Old Testament, especially if one does not read Hebrew.

There are several well-known Jewish commentators on the Bible. Rashi and Ramban are the two most popular. Their commentaries are excellent as well. Art Scroll carries several volumes of both.

I would also recommend that you consider picking up the Anchor Bible Dictionary in 6 volumes. This is more of an academic work, but is pretty comprehensive in scope:

amazon.com/Anchor-Bible-Dictionary-Set/dp/038542583X

If you combine all of these resources in addition to Catholic resources such as the Haydock, you will have more than enough ammunition and references to be able to decipher most any Biblical passage in the Old Testament.

For the New Testament, consider Thomas Aquinas’ “Catena Aurea”:

baroniuspress.com/
 
Thanks above for recommending my site! I go along with the Haydock Bible, it is great but it takes a little to get used to for those who are not used to using commentaries, it could sure use a revision on the format to make it more reader friendly. But as far as substance it will never go out of date.

I also highly recommend the Navarre Bible, it is hard to beat. If you are able to read Latin then the ultimate commentary is the Glossa Ordinaria, but very little of it has ever been translated into English yet, just Ruth, Lamentations, and Song of Songs.

I also recommend indiviudal commentaries by the Early Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church. I have a lot on my site but there is also much more that is not available online for free. St. Bede, St. John Chrysostom, Theodoret of Cyrus, Theodore of Mopsuestia, and St. Jerome wrote a lot on the OT and can be purchased online, I have bought a lot of those kinds of commentaries myself. The Ancient Christian Commentary is a catena on all the books of the Bible except the deuterocanonicals, and it has it’s strong points but it falls short in many areas as well. It is a Protestant complation of quotes from the Fathers and it does have places that leaves out obvious quotes from the Fathers that support Catholic Doctrine, and it should be used with that in mind.

The problem with using Jewish commentaries such as Rashi is for the obvious reason that Judaism rejects Christ as the Messiah and they do not interpret the OT in the light of Christ.
 
The problem with using Jewish commentaries such as Rashi is for the obvious reason that Judaism rejects Christ as the Messiah and they do not interpret the OT in the light of Christ.
Nevertheless, for understanding the historical context, hidden meanings in the Hebrew text, and giving a more comprehensive understanding to the text, the Jewish Sages are unparalleled.

Personally, I have found the Jewish commentaries to be some of the best, and easiest to read, because they break down the entire narrative by filling in the blanks. Some non-Jewish commentators entirely miss the hidden meanings in the text – especially if they are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the Hebrew language – a highly complex language.

Yes, you do have to take into account that a Jewish commentator is commenting from their own belief structure - agreed.

I have found from the Jewish commentaries a very rich, comprehensive, highly analytical, and thorough understanding of the Old Testament not found elsewhere.

Christ was a Jew, as were all of the earliest disciples. You cannot begin to understand the message of Christ, and his disagreements with the Jewish authorities, if you don’t have a solid grasp on the Old Testament. And the best way of understanding the Old Testament is by going directly to original source material.

In all commentaries, you run the risk of reading the Old Testament through the filters of the commentator. That’s why I recommend a smattering of different resources - Jewish, Christian, and academic. By using varied sources, you gain a more thorough understanding of the text.
 
Nevertheless, for understanding the historical context, hidden meanings in the Hebrew text, and giving a more comprehensive understanding to the text, the Jewish Sages are unparalleled.

Personally, I have found the Jewish commentaries to be some of the best, and easiest to read, because they break down the entire narrative by filling in the blanks. Some non-Jewish commentators entirely miss the hidden meanings in the text – especially if they are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the Hebrew language – a highly complex language.

Yes, you do have to take into account that a Jewish commentator is commenting from their own belief structure - agreed.

I have found from the Jewish commentaries a very rich, comprehensive, highly analytical, and thorough understanding of the Old Testament not found elsewhere.

Christ was a Jew, as were all of the earliest disciples. You cannot begin to understand the message of Christ, and his disagreements with the Jewish authorities, if you don’t have a solid grasp on the Old Testament. And the best way of understanding the Old Testament is by going directly to original source material.

In all commentaries, you run the risk of reading the Old Testament through the filters of the commentator. That’s why I recommend a smattering of different resources - Jewish, Christian, and academic. By using varied sources, you gain a more thorough understanding of the text.
Good points!
 
The Jewish Publication Society has some excellent commentaries on the Pentateuch and several other books of ancient Jewish origin.

Get on their mailing list and catch the sales for a significant break on the price of these books.

They are decidedly anti-Christian in places, as we would expect them to be, but they are very thorough in many respects. They are also lacking in some places. I was confused about the ten plagues in Egypt, as one plague says cattle are destroyed, only to be followed by other cattle-destroying plagues. This was not addressed.

I also like to look at the cheap one-volume version of the protestant Matthew Henry BibleCommentary, usually available quite cheaply at your nearby Christian bookstore.

I have not found a single commentary to be exhaustive on any subject.
 
I would agree that Matthew Henry’s commentary is excellent. If you prefer the volume set, try E-Bay. You can usually find all 6 volumes used for less than $100. I purchased this set a couple of years ago, and have been pretty happy with its commentary.
 
Christ was a Jew, as were all of the earliest disciples. You cannot begin to understand the message of Christ, and his disagreements with the Jewish authorities, if you don’t have a solid grasp on the Old Testament. And the best way of understanding the Old Testament is by going directly to original source material.
Moreso than focusing on how or why Christ disagreed with his Jewish contemporaries, any appropriate study of the Mishnah and Talmud will demonstrate that the Rabbis and Christ were more often in agreement than not. Christ himself often quoted Targumic texts, utilized midrash and parable similar the Rabbis, and therefore had a comparable understanding of Torah and the Prophets. Not all first-century Jews were in agreement on the issues which the Gospels highlight Jesus disagreeing with the “authorities” concerning, thus Christ was very much at home in his time and culture; in fact, there are many instances in the NT which Christian tradition has incorrectly identified as “disagreements,” so as the so-called “anti-theses” of the Sermon on the Mount.

We Christians, unfortunately, have often neglected the first part of our canon, or when we have focused on it, have interpreted it through a supercessionalist, anti-Jewish lens – thus it should come as no surprise that some Jewish commentaries can foster an anti-Christian apologetic. All commentaries suffer from one type or another of tunnel vision no matter how comprehensive they may try to be. Some aspect of the text will always be neglected. Given the age and significance of the Hebrew Bible for a variety of persons, it comes as no surprise that interpretation is just as exponentially varied and carries its own ideological baggage. As such, no single commentary should suffice.

I would start with Richard Elliott Friedman’s “Commentary on the Torah” alongside the JPS “Jewish Study Bible.” Hands down, the Jewish Study Bible, published by Oxford Press, is perhaps one of the best study Bibles on the market in terms of content, approaching the text from a philological and historical approach.

From there I would invest in the “JPS Torah Commentary,” which is a scholarly commentary directed to a popular audience with helpful appended short essays on pertinent topics; or, there is “The Anchor Bible,” in several volumes, which is a recent scholarly translation with extremely elaborate notes and commentary on philological, historical, theological, and other issues.

From this solid ground would I then venture into the more defining ideological interpretation, whether Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, etc. To preliminarily invest in one of these types of commentaries is to approach the text in a mindset comparable to collusion, not openness which is what the text requires.
 
The Jewish commentaries on the OT need to be used with caution, but they can be helpful. The same goes with Protestant commentaries. I surely oppose them for those who are not very well versed in Scripture and Catholic Doctrine. One rejects Christ as the Messiah, and the other rejects the Church that Christ established, that puts us on totally different vital starting points and premesis that can be very dangerous. When there are plenty of great Catholic commentaries available there is absolutely no reason why a beginner or intermediate student of the Bible should use them without first getting the Catholic interpretation.

The Church Fathers did consult Jewish interpretations such as Rashi and they even consulted some heretics. But the Fathers were extremely grounded in Catholic doctrine and were professionals of the Faith.
 
When there are plenty of great Catholic commentaries available there is absolutely no reason why a beginner or intermediate student of the Bible should use them without first getting the Catholic interpretation.
There are a great many reasons why the novice should encounter the text of the Hebrew Bible head on rather than trudging through the frequently allegorical and often anti-Jewish sentiments expressed by many of the Fathers. Attempting to understand the text in its own historical, cultural, and philological context by and for the very people who hold it in greatest esteem is more advantageous since it is from this perspective that first-century Jews including the disciples, if not Christ himself, would have understood the text. It was only after the resurrection event that necessitated a reinterpretation, which Church tradition has long fostered. The Hebrew Bible was not written by the Fathers nor by Catholic Christians but by Judeans under the influence of the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit which acts in both church and synagogue today. To fail to appreciate and react correspondingly to this historical fact is the result of fear, but why? The God of the Hebrews was the Father of the Jews and was the Father of Christ who is Our Father. One must decide for one’s self, based on the text and the preaching of the apostles in Acts, if reinterpretation of messianism was both responsible and necessary. It is from this foundation that the apostles (and many converts since), not grounded in Catholic doctrine, reacted and rejoiced.
 
There are a great many reasons why the novice should encounter the text of the Hebrew Bible head on rather than trudging through the frequently allegorical and often anti-Jewish sentiments expressed by many of the Fathers. Attempting to understand the text in its own historical, cultural, and philological context by and for the very people who hold it in greatest esteem is more advantageous since it is from this perspective that first-century Jews including the disciples, if not Christ himself, would have understood the text. It was only after the resurrection event that necessitated a reinterpretation, which Church tradition has long fostered. The Hebrew Bible was not written by the Fathers nor by Catholic Christians but by Judeans under the influence of the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit which acts in both church and synagogue today. To fail to appreciate and react correspondingly to this historical fact is the result of fear, but why? The God of the Hebrews was the Father of the Jews and was the Father of Christ who is Our Father. One must decide for one’s self, based on the text and the preaching of the apostles in Acts, if reinterpretation of messianism was both responsible and necessary. It is from this foundation that the apostles (and many converts since), not grounded in Catholic doctrine, reacted and rejoiced.
Those under Judaism, which in this case are the Pharisees, did not have the monopoly on OT interpretation, as a matter of fact they misinterpreted and corrupted the Law with human tradition in which Jesus scolded them for. Jesus came to set things straight and tried to show them where they were mistaken, and the Church is that correction. Some Jews got it and conformed to Jesus’ corrections, but many continued in error and even erred worse than before out of hardness of heart. He took Jews (the 12) and trained them to teach and instruct those who succeeded them. Many of the Messianic passages of the OT the Jewish interpretation under Judaism is misunderstood. After the Church was established the Jews under Judaism developed their traditions in opposition to Christianity, in which continued to get farther away from what Christ came to show them.

Nobody ever held Scripture in higher esteem than the Church, which is made up of both Jew and Gentile. Orthodox Judaism comes from the Pharisees, they are not superior intepreters of the OT nor are they the holders of pure Jewish tradition, they were called on their errors by the greatest Jew Himself, Jesus Christ.
 
Those under Judaism…

…the greatest Jew Himself, Jesus Christ.
Your argument was already previously well-made, my friend, and your opinion regarding Jewish sources is well-acknowledged, so there is no need for such an apologetic or defensiveness. I applaud your zeal. However, I simply made a case for why the Jewish sources should be considered primarily over and above the later documents of the Fathers. The List of Prohibited Books was abolished in 1966, and thus we should all be given the freedom to enrich our minds and souls whether the source be Catholic or not. Likewise, the OP and other interested readers of this thread must make up their own minds in determining their need and degree of interest in understanding the complexity of the Hebrew Bible. Given such, it is the Holy Spirit who must guide their search, not some academic nor zealous argument.
 
Your argument was already previously well-made, my friend, and your opinion regarding Jewish sources is well-acknowledged, so there is no need for such an apologetic or defensiveness. I applaud your zeal. However, I simply made a case for why the Jewish sources should be considered primarily over and above the later documents of the Fathers. The List of Prohibited Books was abolished in 1966, and thus we should all be given the freedom to enrich our minds and souls whether the source be Catholic or not. Likewise, the OP and other interested readers of this thread must make up their own minds in determining their need and degree of interest in understanding the complexity of the Hebrew Bible. Given such, it is the Holy Spirit who must guide their search, not some academic nor zealous argument.
I understand what you are saying, but there are people who follow this thread, and it is good that they see discussions like this so that they can make informed investigations themselves. You made the case that Jewish sources should be considered over ancient Church writings, I respect your opinion but I highly disagree with it, and I simply wanted to explain why. The word “Jewish” is a bit complex and not always perceived in the right context. And often times when a Christian says anything in opposition to Pharisaic Judaism they get accused of being anti-semetic when in fact they are only taking the stance that Jesus took.

I totally agree with enriching our minds and to search for truth wherever it leads us, but I do not recommend Bible commentaries from Protestants nor from commentators who reject Jesus as the Christ as being superior to many of the ancient Catholics who were defenders of the Faith and died as martyrs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top