Looking For A Parish

  • Thread starter Thread starter TwinMommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
a couple of thoughts for you. If the parish has a Friday Lenten “fish fry”, I would try to attend it to get a feel of the parish since those types of events are open to the whole community.
Likewise, does either parish have a school? The only reason I ask this is that even if you don’t send your children to the school, they have CYO sports teams (most likely) 5-8th grade which actually are open to anyone’s children’s attending catechism. Even if there isn’t a school, some of the larger parishes do have CYO sports teams which your children can get involved with. Likewise, check and see if there is an active youth group both high school as well as middle school. Even if your children are not at those ages yet, it shows what is down the road for involvement. Also, check to see if the parish has some sort of food pantry, many do and they are always looking for help. Once you become Catholic, you can always become involved at the Mass in a variety of areas such as lector, EMCH, usher, greeters etc. Serving is these areas will enable you to met others. Choirs are also another great way to get involved and met people. Look at the bulletin online since most all are publishing them. Another person to contact is the director of catechism for the church. They might be more available to talk to than the priest. I guess I would shy away from emailing the priest since most are very busy and an email from an unknown person might get ignored. It’s just a thought because I wouldn’t want you to get disappointed if you do not receive a response. Good luck and God Bless.
I did notice right away that they help with a food pantry. I was happy to see that. I am thankful to learn of all this so I know what to look into. I will probably email the secretary.
 
Do register at a parish do you have to have complete RICA? Thanks for all the great tips 🙂
I don’t know if you have to complete RCIA first.

I think the forms to register a family as parishioners has spaces for the adults’ and children’s name, along with a place to mark what sacraments have been received by each person, and maybe even the “faith” of the person.

I would think the parishes would have a way to register for those who are in the RCIA program - seems they might allow those who are still exploring the possibility of joining RCIA to also be included in the parish membership.

When you e-mail the parish secretaries, let her know that you are interested in learning more about the Catholic faith, along with possibly registering as parishioners, and learning about information on the various groups. She will know right away how to register you with the parish.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about High School CYM/CYO (Catholic Youth Ministry or Catholic Youth Organization) if your sons are very young. My wonderful parish did not have CYM until our second child was a high school junior - yet we have a wonderful parish and the children were very active in the parish without CYM. (Had he or our oldest child wanted to participate in CYM at another parish they could have.)
 
I don’t know if you have to complete RCIA first.

I think the forms to register a family as parishioners has spaces for the adults’ and children’s name, along with a place to mark what sacraments have been received by each person, and maybe even the “faith” of the person.

I would think the parishes would have a way to register for those who are in the RCIA program - seems they might allow those who are still exploring the possibility of joining RCIA to also be included in the parish membership.

When you e-mail the parish secretaries, let her know that you are interested in learning more about the Catholic faith, along with possibly registering as parishioners, and learning about information on the various groups. She will know right away how to register you with the parish.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about High School CYM/CYO (Catholic Youth Ministry or Catholic Youth Organization) if your sons are very young. My wonderful parish did not have CYM until our second child was a high school junior - yet we have a wonderful parish and the children were very active in the parish without CYM. (Had he or our oldest child wanted to participate in CYM at another parish they could have.)
Great tips!! Thank you for all of it 🙂
 
I would also talk to the DRE to find out how strongly they love and understand the scriptures, how strongly it is incorporated into their school/CCD curriculum…

If he/she doesn’t immediately show their love for God’s Word, then I would move on quickly.
 
I would also look for perpetual eucharistic adoration, and a charismatic prayer group. These are great signs of LIFE!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top