This is my 1st post so please bear with me. I am thinking of leaving my wife of 13 years and feeling immense guilt. we have been having lots of arguing over the past few years that has gotten much worse recently. I still love my wife and promised to love her for better or for worse, Well, this is the worse part now, so where is your love?my feelings lately though are that things are not going to change no matter what I want. I want to try counseling, she does not, she says I should go myself And that is a good suggestion. She is getting help for her depression and you should seek help for any issues you have, assuming that you will agree that a marriage takes two to work and even NOT work…and that the marriage will change when I change. If you love your wife as you say, don’t you think it would be worth trying this as a way of helping your marriage and showing your commitment to her as well as to your children? She does have depression issues she is getting help with but depression and mood swings do not help when it comes to the arguing. I feel like I want to leave for my happiness But your happiness should come from making your wife and children happy and offering them both a stable and peaceful home.and so the kids will not see constant arguing between parents.Do you actually think it would be better to have your children see their father walk away from his marriage and his family without even trying to work things out? Perhaps you should get counseling on why you feel that your happiness is more important than that of the children your love created. My guilt is that I am abandoning my wife by giving up and that I will not be there as a buffer for the kids and they will have to deal with mom and her issues without me there to help.How would that be any different than now when you are there and not willing to "do " anything but give up? And guilt usually involves some sort of wrongdoing on the guilty person’s part. You cannot feel guilt for something that you didn’t do. So perhaps you feel guilt because in truth, you know you are quitting without making a real attempt to work it out. Instead, you want to take the easy way out for yourself, even if it will hurt those you leave behind. I have not spoke to priest yet as he is new to the church (3 weeks) and this would be hard on him just getting settled in and me introducing myself and laying this all on him at once. Sorry, his being there 3 weeks has nothing to do with this. That is part of his job, and it appears to merely be an excuse on your part.
Please reconsider what you are thinking through prayer. Certainly try and get throught Christmas peacefully. If you love your wife as you say you do, give her the gifts of compassion, understanding, patience and commitment. Be the hero for your family. May God bless you and guide you as you try to repair the cracks in your marriage. Your thoughts on this would appreciated!