Looking For: Catholic Books on the "Historical Jesus"

  • Thread starter Thread starter havemercy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

havemercy

Guest
I need reading/study material. Are the Gospels at all reliable? I need to have this stuff down-pat (we all should). I saw a book mentioned around here last week but can’t locate where it was mentioned. I don’t know why I didn’t take the title or author’s name down (though I’m sure it was written by a priest), but I suppose this is a good time to ask if anyone has any resource recommendations with regards Gospel historicity.

Thanks in Christ

edit:
Oh and if anyone has read “Salvation Is From The Jews” (Schoeman) could you please address my post here? I need to know if someone’s review of the book is correct or not before I read it and recommend it to others.
 
A few years ago, I took a course on the Bible (its history
and interpretation) at our local diocesan seminary. One of
the texts we used was:

THE HISTORICAL FIGURE OF JESUS by E.P. Sanders.
New York: Penguin Books, 1995.

I recommend it highly.
 
Just remember that the Church does not take an absolute stand on hardly any of this - everything you read in all the references you receive is opinion - some by recognized scripture scholars and some not so. Here are a few by recognized Catholic scholars:

"Instruction Concerning the Historical Truth of the Gospels" Pontifical Biblical Commission
catholic-resources.org/Church…thFitzmyer.htm

**The Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation - ***DEI VERBUM *by Pope Paul VI.

The three volume Rethinking the Historical Jesus series by the Jesuit John Meier (published under the imprimatur).

The encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu by Pope Pius XII.

***An Introduction to the New Testament ***
***The Birth of the Messiah ***
***An Adult Christ At Christmas ***
by the Pontifical Biblical Commission’s Raymond Brown.

And God said What? - the adult ed textbook on scripture analysis and history written Margaret Ralph, a student of Raymond Brown who is also a Catholic director of religious education.
 
Hello All,

Sadly, pathetically, there are not a lot of books out there that defend Scriptural veracity or Christ’s existence from the Catholic perspective. Most of the best books out there are written by Protestants. So when reading these works, keep Catholic Apologetics in mind. Here are several important titles, including a few Catholic Scripture titles as well.

Scripture Matters by Scott Hahn

A Guide to the Bible by Antonio Fuentes

On the Reliability of the Old Testament by K.A. Kitchen

The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F.F. Bruce

The Historical Reliability of the Gospels by Craig L. Blomberg

Studying the Historical Jesus: A Guide to Sources and Methods by Darrell L. Bock

The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ by Gary Habermas

Reinventing Jesus by J. Ed Komoszewski, M. James Sawyer, and Daniel B. Wallace

The Missing Gospels: Unearthing the Truth Behind Alternative Christianities by Darrell L. Bock

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona

I hope these are of value to you. :bounce:
 
Oh, and I just remembered that WL Craig has written some papers and spoken on this matter.

Thanks to everyone. I’ll check some of these out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top