Looking for JRPGs that aren't anti-Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter brigidmarie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brigidmarie

Guest
So I really, really love JRPGs, but it seems like A LOT have anti-Catholic/anti-Christian themes in them. Can anybody recommend some good ones that don’t? I don’t mind if they have some vaguely pagan elements, I’m just looking for something where the ultimate bad guy isn’t (1) a repressive church clearly patterned on Catholicism, or (2) God.

Games I’ve already played and enjoyed: Final Fantasy VII, The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts (still in the middle of that one). I also played the first two Final Fantasy XIII games, but burned out on the anti-Catholic subtext. Hence this thread!
 
Since you’ve played FFVII, u probably wouldn’t mind outdated graphics, so I’ll just suggest this classic RPG which is right up there with FFVII as my favorite RPG of all-time, Suikoden 2. You can read a lot of the reviews here on Gamefaqs if interested. The awesome plot and cast of characters is what made it unforgettable for me; not to mention the price tag :p, at least on Ebay anyway where it can sell for 150-400 bucks due to the rarity of the game, and with how much RPG fanatics are trying to get a hold of this game, lol.
 
All of the above and the dragon quest games are also pretty fun. They’re also square enix so they have pretty well written stories, they’re just slightly lesser known compared to final fantasy installments.
 
I used to be heavy into anime and JRPG’s but I was never truly comfortable with it, but I could never really put my finger on it. This blogger nails it:

thwordinc.blogspot.com/2013/12/where-evil-takes-us.html
For the record, only certain genres of anime are like what was described in that post. Classifying all anime into this generalized group of underage objectification is a gross mischaracterization. That’s like saying all American movies are about guns and violence and drugs. Some are, yes, and many people watch them, but that certainly isn’t the only genre, and it doesn’t make it right. Likewise not all anime is the same.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top