Looking for suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter COPLAND_3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

COPLAND_3

Guest
I am in the process of making a Study Bible using footnotes from mostly the Church Fathers and Medieval Bible commentators. I have already done some books of the Bible, and I am in the process of praying about the next book to work on. I am looking for some ideas from you all concerning what book to start on next, and some ideas about what you think you would like to see in an online Study Bible that is based upon a very traditional Catholic school of thought. At the moment I am leaning towards Ephesians, but I am far from making a discision.

Thank you!

John Litteral
 
I think this is an excellent idea.

I’m sure you’ve already thought of it, but I would like to see footnotes on historical context that go beyond “a denarius is a day’s wage” or “about eight pounds”.

Also, I don’t know if you have any interest, but you should contact me as the project nears completion; I make a hobby of putting covers on books.
 
I have seen your posts a lot, but I haven’t had a chance to look at your website. I did just look at it.

Not sure yet how you approach developing a commentary. Hey, this is just me, one man’s idea. I think you should work on shorter books of the Bible, interspersed with a longer book, as you get to it.

In that line of thinking, maybe you could do the epistles of John, Ephesians, or Ruth.

A longer book to work on would be something like Romans. I have a hard time getting into Acts and Romans.

Maybe working on Paul’s letters as a group makes sense. James is a real important book to me.

“James a servant of God and the LORD Jesus Christ.”

I wish I was worthy to say that.
 
What about Jude?
I have looked into that. There is a work called “The Epistle of Jude As Expounded by the Fathers” which is a work I will get before I start on Jude. The Ancient Christian Commentary Series relied heavily on that when they did their commentary on Jude. I will also look for later medieval commentaries on Jude to draw from. But I may have to wait until I get all the resources I prefer when I start on Jude. I do have St. Bede’s commentary on Jude.
 
I have looked into that. There is a work called “The Epistle of Jude As Expounded by the Fathers” which is a work I will get before I start on Jude. The Ancient Christian Commentary Series relied heavily on that when they did their commentary on Jude. I will also look for later medieval commentaries on Jude to draw from. But I may have to wait until I get all the resources I prefer when I start on Jude. I do have St. Bede’s commentary on Jude.
Awesome. I would love to read all of that.
 
Jude it is! By God’s grace I aquired the resources to do this project, and I am working on it now. Being such a small book it should not take me near as long to complete as some of the other books of the Bible. Thanks for the idea ryan!
 
Jude it is! By God’s grace I aquired the resources to do this project, and I am working on it now. Being such a small book it should not take me near as long to complete as some of the other books of the Bible. Thanks for the idea ryan!
You’re welcome and thank you!
 
That was quick. I’ll check it out soon.
Well, I spent about 10 hours a day on it, yesterday and today. I had the resources on hand and was able to sift through them. One will notice that I am a complier of quotes, not a commentator of original thought. With a one chapter book it was not a real long process.
 
Are you familiar with On the Seven Catholic Epistles at Jude 23 by St. Bede? There is a quote from it in my study bible.
 
Are you familiar with On the Seven Catholic Epistles at Jude 23 by St. Bede? There is a quote from it in my study bible.
Yes, I have it, and used it in my footnotes in the Jude expostion. I have the Catholic Epistles, Acts commentary, and Homilies on the Gospels.
 
One idea might be to compile a concise list of how Jesus completes the covenant with Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and David. Also the manner in which Jesus completed the Ten Word, Lamb and the entire Temple.

I am going to give it a try soon, but my ability and time are limited.
 
Hi,
I like the following:

gospel of mathew
gospel of John
Acts
Any of Paul
 
Yes, I have it, and used it in my footnotes in the Jude expostion. I have the Catholic Epistles, Acts commentary, and Homilies on the Gospels.
My footnote from v23 says: The spotted garment is the flesh. We hate, not our flesh as such, but the fact that sin has stained it, and so we work to make what is carnal into something spiritual.

Maybe that is a comment about what he says and not the actual quote. Nice job by the way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top