Looks like Bush Wants a Fighter heading Homeland Security

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Profile: Bernard Kerik

**Bernard Kerik - chosen by President Bush to protect the US from security threats - is no stranger to danger. **

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40591000/jpg/_40591795_kerik203indexafp.jpg Bernard Kerik, a former New York City street cop

The nominee to head the Department of Homeland Security, known as “Bernie” to his friends and colleagues, is a former street cop and undercover narcotics officer.

His long professional association with former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, for whom he worked as a bodyguard in 1993, resulted in the mayor offering him the city’s top police job in 2000.

During his 15-month tenure as New York’s police commissioner, he was praised for his role in reducing crime rates in the city. During the last year of his term, violent crime had its biggest drop in five years.

He also won national and international plaudits for overseeing the police department’s heroic efforts in the wake of the 11 September 2001 terror attacks.

It was at this time that he caught the eye of the White House and was later rewarded with a role as special policy adviser to the Iraqi interim government. He was enlisted to help in set up a fledgling police force. He was also given a honorary Commander of the British Empire (CBE) award by the UK.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4065105.stm

40.png
gilliam:
Profile: Bernard Kerik

**Bernard Kerik - chosen by President Bush to protect the US from security threats - is no stranger to danger. **

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40591000/jpg/_40591795_kerik203indexafp.jpg Bernard Kerik, a former New York City street cop

The nominee to head the Department of Homeland Security, known as “Bernie” to his friends and colleagues, is a former street cop and undercover narcotics officer.

His long professional association with former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, for whom he worked as a bodyguard in 1993, resulted in the mayor offering him the city’s top police job in 2000.

During his 15-month tenure as New York’s police commissioner, he was praised for his role in reducing crime rates in the city. During the last year of his term, violent crime had its biggest drop in five years.

He also won national and international plaudits for overseeing the police department’s heroic efforts in the wake of the 11 September 2001 terror attacks.

It was at this time that he caught the eye of the White House and was later rewarded with a role as special policy adviser to the Iraqi interim government. He was enlisted to help in set up a fledgling police force. He was also given a honorary Commander of the British Empire (CBE) award by the UK.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4065105.stm
i say lets give him a shot and see how he does… 👍

shannin said:
:hmmm:Does anyone know why Tom Ridge resigned?

:blessyou:
Shannin

the news channel i viewed speculated that he was a little miffed about not getting secretary of state… :cool:

space ghost:
the news channel i viewed speculated that he was a little miffed about not getting secretary of state… :cool:
What is remarkable is that so few people are sad he is leaving.

40.png
gilliam:
What is remarkable is that so few people are sad he is leaving.
More Remarkable and sad, is the fact that few give him credit for the fact we HAVE NOT had another 9/11 on his watch. 😦

I wish him every Blessing and say…“GOOD JOB”, He has served us well!

The poor guy was verbally abused for the last three years.

It is truly one of the most thankless jobs in our goverment, I would imagine that the stress alone is a very real reason to not stay there any longer. I for one cannot imagine trying to oversee the running of that many agencies, and trying to make them all play nicely toegther, heaven have mercy, there’s not enough asprin in the world.

Linda H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back