Loosing My Faith?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Discerning13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Discerning13

Guest
I’m a cradle Catholic. I left the Church along with all of the rest of my family during some tough times about five years. I came back to the faith two years ago and began to faithfully attend mass.

Ever since a couple of months ago, I think I’ve been loosing my faith. I feel like I’ve only been following the ‘rules’ to attain salvation. I suddenly started feeling like I don’t truly love God, I only follow his rules out of fear.

In the middle of this week, I suddenly started feeling like God wasn’t there anymore. All of a sudden I started doubting that God is actually there…All of a sudden…

Could you please give me advise? What can I do? Should I even go to confession anymore?

I kindly request your prayers.
 
I’m a cradle Catholic. I left the Church along with all of the rest of my family during some tough times about five years. I came back to the faith two years ago and began to faithfully attend mass.

Ever since a couple of months ago, I think I’ve been loosing my faith. I feel like I’ve only been following the ‘rules’ to attain salvation. I suddenly started feeling like I don’t truly love God, I only follow his rules out of fear.

In the middle of this week, I suddenly started feeling like God wasn’t there anymore. All of a sudden I started doubting that God is actually there…All of a sudden…

Could you please give me advise? What can I do? Should I even go to confession anymore?

I kindly request your prayers.
I am sure it is a difficult time. Christ said he would be with us forever. I would continue to go to Church because it is correct thing to do but also it is a contrast from materialism, which will try to take hold and eliminate all good habits you have worked to achieve. Those good habits are your friends in time of weakness. Praying for you.

St. John of the Cross – Dark Night of the Soul (pdf):

basilica.org/pages/ebooks/St.%20John%20of%20the%20Cross-Dark%20night%20of%20the%20soul.pdf
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.
 
I’m a cradle Catholic. I left the Church along with all of the rest of my family during some tough times about five years. I came back to the faith two years ago and began to faithfully attend mass.

Ever since a couple of months ago, I think I’ve been loosing my faith. I feel like I’ve only been following the ‘rules’ to attain salvation. I suddenly started feeling like I don’t truly love God, I only follow his rules out of fear.

In the middle of this week, I suddenly started feeling like God wasn’t there anymore. All of a sudden I started doubting that God is actually there…All of a sudden…

Could you please give me advise? What can I do? Should I even go to confession anymore?

I kindly request your prayers.
Dear Discerning 13,
I’m sorry you feel so separate from God. That has got to be one of the worst feelings in the world. Whatever the reason you went to Mass, even if it was "following the rules to attain salvation.) I’m sure it pleased God and made him so happy that you were there, as opposed to NOT being there.

Please, do go to confession as soon as you can. Not because this is a sin, but because you probably need some spiritual direction. This separation-from-God-feeling happens to many people on the spiritual path. I think Mother Theresa felt like God wasn’t around for THIRTY SEVEN YEARS. How she managed to feel that way and still live, I dunno.

So talk to someone about this. Talk to someone who knows a lot about spiritual things. Don’t deal with this alone.

I’ll be praying for you, that you may come back to awareness of the Lord, and maybe this time it will be on a higher level than the fear you mentioned.😉
 
Your faith is being tried right now. Prove to God that you will love HIM in the good times and bad. In the dry arid times and the spring times.
Just look up to the heavens and see the beauty that is God.
Keep in mind how God watches over you, your health, and your family.
Know God and HIS love by reading scriptures regularly. The New Testament is alive of Gods proof of HIS love for us through knowing Jesus.

Remember these are trying times, you’ll make it through it.🙂
 
I’m a cradle Catholic. I left the Church along with all of the rest of my family during some tough times about five years. I came back to the faith two years ago and began to faithfully attend mass.

Ever since a couple of months ago, I think I’ve been loosing my faith. I feel like I’ve only been following the ‘rules’ to attain salvation. I suddenly started feeling like I don’t truly love God, I only follow his rules out of fear.

In the middle of this week, I suddenly started feeling like God wasn’t there anymore. All of a sudden I started doubting that God is actually there…All of a sudden…

Could you please give me advise? What can I do? Should I even go to confession anymore?

I kindly request your prayers.
I would suggest talking to a friend who has great faith.

Was there also some incident which triggered this?
 
Dear Discerning 13,
I’m sorry you feel so separate from God. That has got to be one of the worst feelings in the world. Whatever the reason you went to Mass, even if it was "following the rules to attain salvation.) I’m sure it pleased God and made him so happy that you were there, as opposed to NOT being there.

Please, do go to confession as soon as you can. Not because this is a sin, but because you probably need some spiritual direction. This separation-from-God-feeling happens to many people on the spiritual path.** I think Mother Theresa felt like God wasn’t around for THIRTY SEVEN YEARS.** How she managed to feel that way and still live, I dunno.

So talk to someone about this. Talk to someone who knows a lot about spiritual things. Don’t deal with this alone.

I’ll be praying for you, that you may come back to awareness of the Lord, and maybe this time it will be on a higher level than the fear you mentioned.😉
They call that the “dark night of the soul”.
 
You know when a child is sick and the parent gets up in the middle of the night to tend to them, they don’t feel like it. They do it because that’s what love does. Tell God that you don’t feel him close, don’t feel him at all, but you will still go to church, go to confession. There is great merit in doing, especially when we don’t feel like it. It’s just like a great neighbor. It’s nice to be kind to them, say hi and wave. But a grumpy neighbor? No way. Yet, when we say Good morning and wave, there is great merit. Because it takes effort, and God sees that effort.

Scripture says, when we do good to those who do good to us, what merit is there in that?
How true, because it’s easy. Making an act of love when we don’t feel like it strengthens our will. It’s like exercising spiritual muscles. This is how the saints walked each day when it was their turn. Now it’s ours. They will help and intercede for us, just ask them.

God bless and strengthen you today.
 
Do yourself a favor and get a great Priest as a spiritual advisor. Together you can get you through this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top