L
Lazerlike42
Guest
One of the reasons I wrote that particular article I linked you to is because very many Catholics really don’t know what their Church actually teaches on the topic of justification. I believe there is one important reason for this.I think there is a growing phenomenon within the RCC where officially it believes one thing, but really catholics believe something else.
Up until the Reformation, everything in Catholic teaching and preaching was about living virtuously. Catholics were taught to exercise the virtues and to Love. Then the Reformation occured and the Church was thrust into a great debate. Now, in any debate, the terms end up being defined by the first party to speak - in this case it was Luther. Thus, from that time forward, Catholics were always arguing against the position of “faith alone rather than faith and works,” when “faith and works” was never the position of the Church in the first place - it was faith and love, as the Council of Trent makes very clear.
That is why many Catholics are almost scandalized to find the Catechism not speaking about works nearly as much as they think it ought to. They have learned apologetics from the standpoint that we must defend faith and works - a way of thinking that developed particularly because the Church’s strongest Scriptural support, in James 2:24, happens to mention works. Thus, we have a situation where most Catholics understand that works are necesary, but do not understand for what exactly.
I don’t mean this to criticize any particular person, by the way. I am not even considering what people have said in this thread - I am speaking very generally here.
I get chastised about how the RCC officially does not believe works salvation then a few posts later I read:
Or maybe we all mean something different by “works salvation” and are talking past eachother.it is not because it is a great hardship to make it to heaven, rather it is because a great number of Christians are not trying very hard to get there.
God Bless,
Tim
This statement, like all of them, must be taken in the greater context of 1) the discussion at hand and 2) actual Church teaching. Obviously, it does require effort to make it to Heaven. Jesus said this many times (He also said His yoke was easy, indicating that He would provide the Grace [and actually more accurately He was referring to a particularly Jewish Old Testament phrase that meant something else]).
What was meant here is not that we have to accomplish so many works to get to Heaven, as if Jesus has a quota, but that we do have to “strive for the Holiness without which nobody will see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:4). This is because a person of faith making no progress is making backwards progress. A person who merely goes to Mass on Sundays and does nothing else in between is rather likely to not care much about Christ and thus to commit mortal sins or even, as a Protestant might say it, to have a lifeless faith rather than a living faith. It takes effort to grow close enough to Christ that we won’t fall for every temptation that comes along in this age - to truly Love God and to avoid mortal sin. That is what is meant here.