Lord of the Rings

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mirror_Mirror
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter started on her Tolkein journey at age 9. She’ll be 15 next month, and her ardor for all things LOTR hasn’t diminished a lick. She was my guru through the films, which made them even more enjoyable for me. Her idea of a great family night is pizza and any LOTR film. Her idea of a great month is 30 days of pizza and LOTR - well, you get the pitcha!
[SIGN]GOD BLESS PETER JACKSON![/SIGN]
 
MommyZ;2303522 Another book you should read after it all is the Silmarillion also by Tolkien. It gives a lot of backround information on [...:
how Middle Earth came about.
I think the Silmarillion’s creation story for Middle Earth should be required reading for all Christians, particularly Catholics!

It’s not exactly Christianity but I don’t think I’ve ever read anything that gives better insights into Judeo-Christian salvation history.
 
Be forewarned that you may not want to stop after the first one. 😃 Usually, when DH and I want to watch Fellowship, we almost always want to stay up all night watching the other two movies. We’ve had quite a few LOTR marathons.

Did you like the Narnia movie? My wonderful in-laws have it, and I want to ask them if we could borrow it.
I once saw all three of them back to back at the Theatre a few years ago…

That was awesome seeing an LOTR marathon on a huge superscreen!

It started at 12PM and ended at 12AM!

it was AWESOME!
 
It started at 12PM and ended at 12AM!

it was AWESOME!
When did you EAT? (And I don’t mean popcorn/chips/etc.) Better yet, when did you use the restroom? 😃 DH and I considered seeing all 3 at once in the theater, but we had already seen the films over a dozen times separately, we couldn’t justify any more time in the theater.

Sorry, Mirror. 😊 I promise not to derail your thread anymore.
 
Every Christmas break, we watch the extended version of all 3. Two Towers is my favorite because Eowyn character. We’re such LOTR nerds LOL.
 
When did you EAT? (And I don’t mean popcorn/chips/etc.) Better yet, when did you use the restroom? 😃 DH and I considered seeing all 3 at once in the theater, but we had already seen the films over a dozen times separately, we couldn’t justify any more time in the theater.

Sorry, Mirror. 😊 I promise not to derail your thread anymore.
Derail away! No worries here. That is what the thread is for. I am taking a break from watching the first one right now since I am talking to my wife. Cannot talk and watch at the same time. (I am relocated to CO for work and she is in MO)
 
Cannot talk and watch at the same time. (I am relocated to CO for work and she is in MO)
When will you be reunited with your family? If I recall, you have kiddos, too, and one who’s still inside Mommy. I hope you can get back to them soon, it must be torture!!

See? You shouldn’t have given me permission to derail your thread. 😃
 
When will you be reunited with your family? If I recall, you have kiddos, too, and one who’s still inside Mommy. I hope you can get back to them soon, it must be torture!!

See? You shouldn’t have given me permission to derail your thread. 😃
Come join in the fun right here and if you scroll through you can see a little about my situation. You recollection is good. 3 kiddos, 1 on the way.

BTW, back to LOR, what is the difference in the extended version and the regular version.

Not sure if I will make it thru the night, just started disc 2 on Fellowship and it is 20 til 12 right now.
 
When did you EAT? (And I don’t mean popcorn/chips/etc.) Better yet, when did you use the restroom? 😃 DH and I considered seeing all 3 at once in the theater, but we had already seen the films over a dozen times separately, we couldn’t justify any more time in the theater.

Sorry, Mirror. 😊 I promise not to derail your thread anymore.
There was 30 minute intermissions between the 3 films.
 
Come join in the fun right here and if you scroll through you can see a little about my situation. You recollection is good. 3 kiddos, 1 on the way.

BTW, back to LOR, what is the difference in the extended version and the regular version.

Not sure if I will make it thru the night, just started disc 2 on Fellowship and it is 20 til 12 right now.
Unlike some other “extended” dvds out there with only 8-12 minutes of extra footage, the LOTR extended dvds have 30-40 minutes of extra footage. These are in the form of longer scenes and added scenes. It flows seamlessly. If you know the books at all, I recommend the extended versions. Some parts are still omitted, but overall the movies are much more filled out.

Enjoy.
 
I agree – “The Silmarillion” is EXCELLENT!!! If you REALLY want to get involved, check out “Morgoth’s Ring” – volume 10 in “The History of Middle-Earth” series, which has a VERY interesting perspective on the Incarnation!

ALSO – Tolkien’s non-fiction essay “On Fairy Stories” (sometimes advertised as “Tree and Leaf”) is essential to understand how he understood his mythology in light of his Catholicism.

In “The Letters of JRR Tolkien” much more of his spirituality is revealed, esp. as it regards his Eucharistic devotion.

Finally, if you can find it, check out Jared Lobdell’s “England and Always”, especially the essay “The Timeless Moment: Christian Doctrine in a Pre-Christian Age”.

EXCELLENT!!!
Oooooo! Those sound great! 👍
BTW, back to LOR, what is the difference in the extended version and the regular version.
As another said, I highly recommend the extended version. It has over 30 minutes of extra scenes, many of which are very interesting. 👍
 
As another said, I highly recommend the extended version. It has over 30 minutes of extra scenes, many of which are very interesting. 👍
In fact, each successive ‘Extended Edition’ had more footage added.

Fellowship: extended is 30 minutes longer (total running time, with credits: 3 hr 28 min)
Two Towers: extended is 44 minutes longer (total 3 hr 43 min)
Return of the King: extended is 50 minutes longer (total 4 hr 10 min)

I, too, heartily recommend the Extended Editions. But it takes a lot of stamina to get through all 3 in one day!
 
In fact, each successive ‘Extended Edition’ had more footage added.

Fellowship: extended is 30 minutes longer (total running time, with credits: 3 hr 28 min)
Two Towers: extended is 44 minutes longer (total 3 hr 43 min)
Return of the King: extended is 50 minutes longer (total 4 hr 10 min)

I, too, heartily recommend the Extended Editions. But it takes a lot of stamina to get through all 3 in one day!
One of the youth groups I used to belong to did that one saturday. I was the only one who wasn’t bored by the last movie.
 
One of the youth groups I used to belong to did that one saturday. I was the only one who wasn’t bored by the last movie.
I watched all 3 Extended Editions in one day once - in February 2005 shortly after the release of the ROTK extended edition. During the first part of ROTK I was ready to throw in the towel but I stuck it out and finished it.

Before that, in January of 2004 I watched the first two Extended Editions and then went to the theater for my second viewing of the ROTK theatrical edition, all in the same day. I did this on Sunday of Martin Luther King weekend, so as not to have to worry about having anything important to do the following day. 😉
 
The movies were fine – no real complaints. But (and this goes for everyone) READ THE BOOKS FIRST!!!

As well-done as the films are, they cannot begin to capture Tolkien’s world, and only do marginal justice to the depths of the characters.

Peace,
Dante
 
The movies were fine – no real complaints. But (and this goes for everyone) READ THE BOOKS FIRST!!!

As well-done as the films are, they cannot begin to capture Tolkien’s world, and only do marginal justice to the depths of the characters.

Peace,
Dante
AMEN!!! I could not agree more! (And please, read “The Hobbit” first!)
 
AMEN!!! I could not agree more! (And please, read “The Hobbit” first!)
yeah…

P.S
There’s going to be 4 films in the series soon. Sam “spiderman” Raimi and Peter Weir have both confirmed interest in directing the project “The Hobbit” for new line cinema which currently holds the rights for that book now… Peter Jackson won’t be returning to the helm.
 
Speaking of Tolkien…Has anyone read “The Children of Hurin” yet? I just got it out from the library, and am going to start on it in the next day or so. 😃 👍 It looks delicious, precious…

Er, ahem…maybe I should calm down. 😛 😃
 
Speaking of Tolkien…Has anyone read “The Children of Hurin” yet? I just got it out from the library, and am going to start on it in the next day or so. 😃 👍 It looks delicious, precious…

Er, ahem…maybe I should calm down. 😛 😃
It is OUTSTANDING!!! If you have never read “The Silmarillion”, it may be a bit confusing at first – by the same token, it may be a good introduction to “The Silmarillion”.

Check out my review on Amazon.com

amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0618894640/ref=cm_rev_sort/102-5605325-5880161?customer-reviews.sort_by=%2BSubmissionDate&x=11&y=7&s=books
 
yeah…

P.S
There’s going to be 4 films in the series soon. Sam “spiderman” Raimi and Peter Weir have both confirmed interest in directing the project “The Hobbit” for new line cinema which currently holds the rights for that book now… Peter Jackson won’t be returning to the helm.
Interesting…could you provide a source? I’d like to read about that. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top