L
ladysherlockian
Guest
I was watching the infamous “Wolf Hall” the other way and I started wondering whether I would do as More did and I came into conclusion that I would rather deny my beliefs than risk being killed for it. I believe that I would deny my faith if I was in some life-threatening situation, I know it is a serious sin, but I can still suppose that it would be the way I would behave. Do not say that I am too harsh on myself, since I was considering this issue and came to the conclusions that it would happen so on the basis on my character I have shown in my life so far. I am very cowardly and also terribly shy, even saying what my favourite writer is constitutes a huge torment for me since I am afraid of being laughed at. I also tend to mingle with the crowd and prefer not to reveal opinions which are contrary to what the majority thinks. As far as primary school, when the teacher asked for an opinion what the students thought about some subject, I would always look which option my best friend chose and selected the same one. Now I am almost thirty and I am still the same, I have only one friend, a pen pal, she is not a Catholic and I do not discuss religious subjects with her, sometimes when she is very critical of Catholic beliefs I do not defend them very strongly as I am afraid of offending her and losing my only friend. I am usually meek and avoid confrontation, also as I have mentioned, I cannot defend my beliefs. There was also a situation in the university which I cannot forgive myself to this day, the lecturer asked who is against pornography (we were discussing censorship) and I did not say I was against it because no other student raised his/her hand to say that he/she is against and I did not wanted to be the only one who did it, and to be asked by the lecturer why I believed so, because the only thing I knew then was that the Church was against it and I did not want to look as someone who does not think on their own. Now I consider this moment as a little denial of faith. As I have mentioned, recently I was considering the question whether I could die for my faith and the answer I found was that I could not. I know it would never happen, and that I did not do anything wrong, but I feel as if I had done it and already betrayed God, I feel as if all my religious practices, prayers, attending Mass, reading the Bible etc. are fraudulent on my part since I do not really believe, so all religious things I do are only a pretence or a theatrical performance. I do not know whether I am crazy or what, I have never felt this way in my life, I cannot find joy or happiness anymore since I know I am untrue to God. I feel as if I was depressed becuse I do not enjoy things I loved doing hitherto. Maybe I should go to confession but I do not think it would change by judgement about myself. Or maybe I should visit a psychologist? What do you think?