Losing temper with kids?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LaSainte
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaSainte

Guest
At what point does losing your temper with your kids become a mortal sin? I get snappish with my kids sometimes, and I will sometimes shout a swear word or two when I really lose it, even though it occurs to me a split second before that I shouldn’t.

I once gave my one-year-old a little smack on the leg when he bit me hard while breastfeeding (not hard, but harder than i meant to, and I know it stung a little-by the way, I do NOT believe in spanking at all, so this was particularly out of character for me).

Anyway, are any of these things mortally sinful, or just opportunities to work on my patience? 🙂

At what point does losing your temper with your kids become a mortal sin?
 
At what point does losing your temper with your kids become a mortal sin?
I’d confess. Anger is one of the seven cardinal sins, and it is one of the key things all parents must guard against. I think it can fluctuate between venial and mortal based on the severity of the outburst. I have never hit my son and would consider it a mortal sin if I ever did and go to confession. Not everyone at CAF sees eye to eye about corporal punishment, largely due to “Spare the rod, hate the child” from Sirach giving a biblical blessing to the practice.

Every parent has sinned in this way. That doesn’t make it right, but the most important thing is to work hard at controlling yourself, and remember to be nice to your kids now if you don’t want to go to the old folks home or have the plug pulled someday. 😃
 
At what point does losing your temper with your kids become a mortal sin? I get snappish with my kids sometimes, and I will sometimes shout a swear word or two when I really lose it, even though it occurs to me a split second before that I shouldn’t.

I once gave my one-year-old a little smack on the leg when he bit me hard while breastfeeding (not hard, but harder than i meant to, and I know it stung a little-by the way, I do NOT believe in spanking at all, so this was particularly out of character for me).

Anyway, are any of these things mortally sinful, or just opportunities to work on my patience? 🙂

At what point does losing your temper with your kids become a mortal sin?
I think it’s pretty normal for parents to get upset or lose their patience sometimes. 🙂 But try not to cuss at the kids or swear, don’t yell or call them names and definitely don’t hit. I can see how you might have gave the baby a little swat kind of by reflex when he bit you while breastfeeding because that hurts! That area is sensitive. So I can understand it but as long as it’s not all the time every day, I think it should be okay. I don’t believe in spanking either. 👍 Just try to be patient, count to ten and breath in, breath out. 😃
 
I’d confess. Anger is one of the seven cardinal sins, and it is one of the key things all parents must guard against. I think it can fluctuate between venial and mortal based on the severity of the outburst. I have never hit my son and would consider it a mortal sin if I ever did and go to confession. Not everyone at CAF sees eye to eye about corporal punishment, largely due to “Spare the rod, hate the child” from Sirach giving a biblical blessing to the practice.

Every parent has sinned in this way. That doesn’t make it right, but the most important thing is to work hard at controlling yourself, and remember to be nice to your kids now if you don’t want to go to the old folks home or have the plug pulled someday. 😃
LOL!! Exactly! 😃 They will remember everything you do/did when they grow up! 😃 You will need them one day when you are older.
 
I don’t think there is anything wrong with smacking a child. As long as it isn’t done in anger. And used as a last resort.
 
I think it’s pretty normal for parents to get upset or lose their patience sometimes. 🙂 But try not to cuss at the kids or swear, don’t yell or call them names and definitely don’t hit. I can see how you might have gave the baby a little swat kind of by reflex when he bit you while breastfeeding because that hurts! That area is sensitive. So I can understand it but as long as it’s not all the time every day, I think it should be okay. I don’t believe in spanking either. 👍 Just try to be patient, count to ten and breath in, breath out. 😃
Thank you for understanding the pain of a bitten nipple! :). It was really the tiniest swat-a lot of mothers would probably do it as a way to train their kids not to bite, but I was short tempered that day and did it out of frustration, which is why I’m so upset with myself.

Also, I don’t really curse AT my kids, so much as saying something like “Dammit (insert name here)”, or “Son of a bleeeeeeep!”.

Usually, this happens after I have forgotten or neglected to take my anti-depressant for a few days. It makes me very foul tempered.

I know these things are wrong , and I will certainly confess themnext time I go, but I was looking for a general rule of thumb as to whether or not I should avoid communion over something like this or what.

Thanks to everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top