Losing zeal...what's going on?

• Thread starter Thread starter Paris_Blues
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paris As I read your thread and the responses I may have missed one suggestion - do something for the CC, something quiet that only GOD will see. Prayer, meditation and reading are a must, so also is doing something. I felt compelled to join everything in the church when I joined. Instead I sat back in classes at church(unlike my many questions at RCIA) and listened. I had faith that some day I would be lead to help the church that gave so much to me. I am to this day still awed at some of the RCIA volunteers and how much more they do for the church and wonder why there are 5,000 people who go to Mass every week and yet there are shortages of volunteers?

I preferred to do something quiet and was waiting instead I became a reader and then CCD aide (more like co-teacher). Some nights I hate going to CCD and then it turns out to be the best class in months.

Paris

Somebody else said this but it to me is most important to pray, sing read when we don’t want to. (I consistantly get so much out of Mass when I didn’t feel like going) Thus not all of our life is full of zeal. It when the zeal runs low thats its best to quietly do your best and ask for help from God. He knows if you’re down and for me that’s the best time to be picked up.

40.png
GoldenArrow:
Paris Blues, what “St. Benedict” is describing here, and what you describe, is what St. John of the Cross calls the “The Dark Night of the Soul.”
Yes, that’s what it feels like.
The great mystic, St. Terese of Avila also describes in her metaphor of the spiritual mansions a stage of dryness that is the equivalent of St. John of the Cross’s “Dark Night of the Soul.” If you are experiencing dryness, it means you’ve actually advanced quite far in the spiritual life. St. Therese of Avila describes in her book, The Interior Castle, seven stages to the spritual life in this world, the highest being the Seventh Mansion of Spritual Marriage (the sixth is, by the way, is locutions, raptures and ecstacy). Aridity or spiritual dryiness lies within St. Terese of Avila’s Third Mansion. I say congratulations, Paris Blues, for Aridity is a sign that you’re actually advancing spiritually.
You know, I’ve noticed this myself. Even though I know I’m going through this “spiritual dryness”, I KNOW that our Lord is letting me for the good. THAT is what keeps me going. Why? In the past, I’ve felt terrible dryness just as bad as I am going through it now and at that time, I was a “babe” in the Christian faith and didn’t know how to deal with it. Yes, at one point, I cried out spiritually, “Why have You forsaken me?” and now when I think back to it, I understood why I went through it; it increased my faith and knew it was for my good.
Now, Paris, this Aridity is an OPPORTUNITY for merit. You can react to this aridity in a number of ways: despair, anger, frustration, (negativity) or you can simply endure it as a form of moral suffering. And … you can offer this suffering up to God, uniting your moral suffering with the suffering of Christ at Calvary when he cried “Father, Why hast Thou forsaken me?”
Think of the Path toward God as being a country road. Sometimes the road is straight, the weather great, the sun shining. The road is easy to navigate. At other times it is night time, the weather is bad, and the road has rain-filled potholes.
I pray, “Lord, I know You’re letting me go through this for the good, even though I don’t know Your Ways but I’m trusting You…” something like that. Even though I’m going through it, I feel this inner peace that’s so amazing! By that, I know that I can TRUST in our Lord.
Judging by your posts, I’d say you are driving in a dark, dirt road in freezing rain and fog. You can pull over on the side of the road and cry, fret, and be angry over it, or you can keep driving. And as you drive, PRAY that you stay on the road. Also, drive more slowly than you normally would. Take care in severe weather.
I am still driving no matter what. I look at it like I can spiritually sense a “light up ahead at the road” and I know I will reach it if I keep driving! 😛 I sometimes pray to our Lady and say, “Please guide me” when in this illustration, “Please keep me focused on driving to that Light!”
My advice is, basically, to keep praying, go to Mass MORE than you normally do, and to try your best not to give in to negativity. Just keep driving, and sooner or later, the fog will lift, the freezing rain will stop, and the Sun will shine again.
Take the advice of Dorrie, the blue fish in Finding Nemo, when she says, “Just keep swimming!” Sorry for quoting a kid’s movie. It’s late and I couldn’t think of anything else. HA!
That sun is starting to shine only a tiny, tiny bit because that means that I’m trusting in our Lord and I know He will guide me to Him more and more and more!

I desire to go to Mass MORE but I’m not sure if you’ve read my other posts about that!

LOL! I was watching “Finding Nemo” with my parents on Thanksgiving because it’s such a cute movie!!

Thank you so much for the good advice!

Paris Blues:
Like I might’ve mentioned before, ever since converting to the CC, my zeal and spirit for the Faith is weak and lukewarm.

I HATE IT!! :banghead: (that is, the fact that I have lost my zeal. I don’t hate the CC! 😛 )

Why? Because I NEED that zeal!!! Before entering literally on the 20th of November, remember how zealed I was and had a burning desire and love for the Catholic Church? Now it’s dim and gone!

Worse, it’s as if I’m taking it for granted and that really upsets me because I wasn’t taking it for granted before! I should be more happy than before coming. What’s the deal here?

I’m even more ticked off at the fact that I don’t have a burning zeal for the most sacred Gift on earth: the Eucharist!! That zeal and faith is dim too though I still do believe our Lord is in there but now it feels like I’m taking THAT for granted! NO!!! I desire to have that zeal and Faith but I just can’t get it even when recieving the Eucharist!

I have visited our Lord in the Eucharistic Adoration the last three Saturdays and this last Saturday in His Presence, I felt worse. I told HIm how I felt. Heck, I even prayed the Rosary there too!

What is going on here? 😦
There are many good responses here to help you, especially Della’s #6 and puzzleannie’s #17. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, just remember what Christ said in Mt. 24:13…“But he who endures to the end will be saved.”
God bless you on your journey.

Paris Blues:
Not to mention that I still want to be part of RCIA!!! So that I can learn more!
😃
Paris - you are supposed to remain part of a group after RCIA - it is called the mystagogy - for just that reason!

Call your RCIA team and ask when it begins…

There’s a wide gap between “feelings” and committment. When we went on a youth retreat some of us felt God’s grace…but when we got home we did not commit ourselves to God. However, some of us felt nothing, but we did not take it as a sign that God does not love us, and kept our commitment. I think that is more important to God…the commitment.

Remember, you do not necessarily have to “feel” zealous. Don’t fall into that trap; your faith is more than just feelings. If you want an everyday conversion (of which every Christian must strive to do) make sacrifices (a priest I know has suggested Alms giving) or offer up your sufferings. I don’t know if this helps. God bless.

To Della.

Your post encapsulated exactly what i have been trying to figure out, literally, forever.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

You have no idea how much i needed to read it.

Praise be to Almighty God for giving me the knowledge that i may serve Him better.

In Christ.

Andre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back