LOTH Psalter question

  • Thread starter Thread starter hilde_the_dog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilde_the_dog

Guest
I’m new to the LOTH and got my four volume set recently and have been trying my best. But at the beginning of the this week, week 5, there was no week 5 in the psalter as there was in the proper. Do you repeatweek one in the psalter for week five. Or what pages are you on today, provided you are using the four volume set from the catholic book publishing corp, 1976?
 
Check out the link on www.liturgyofthehours.com, it has a link for the 4 volume book.

Yes, you repeat the 4 week psalter again, there is no week 5.

For today (Mar 28), the morning prayer would use 1153-56 for the psalms/antiphons, 371-7 for the reading/responsorial/canticle/intercessions and closing.

Hope that helps!
 
The Psalter repeats every four weeks. If you ever get lost and don’t know what week of the Psalter you should be in, look at the beginning of Evening Prayer I for Sunday of the week you are in, and it will tell you. For example, today is Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent. If you look at Evening Prayer I for the Fifth Sunday of Lent (page 336 in Volume II if you have the Catholic Book Publishing edition), you will see at the top of the page that it says, “Psalter, Week I.”
 
The Rosary Shop at this link:
prayer.rosaryshop.com/index.php/request/download/
offers a great resource called “Discovering Prayer”. It is a PDF download introduction to LOTH produced by a lay apostolate devoted to promoting prayer of the LOTH. It has a lot of good advice on praying the hours, choosing and setting up the books, the mechanics of the prayers, arranging prayer groups, etc. It was a big help to me (although I use the one-volume version).

The site has many links and other good information (LOTH and other Catholic stuff) as well.

Blessings.
 
This guide is cheap - less than three bucks - and will tell you exactly what pages you should be on at all times.

St. Joseph Guide for the Liturgy of the Hours 2007
Availability:
In Stock. Can ship within 1-2 Business Days
Price:
SKU:
$2.75
55176

General Description:
Handy guide that facilitates use of THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS by providing clear, accurate references for each day of the period specified.

aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/title/St-Joseph-Guide-for-the-Liturgy-of-the-Hours-2007/FuseAction/store.ItemDetails/SKU/55176/category/1509/index.htm
 
Or you can buy the Order of Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours and Celebration of the Eucharist 2007 for your diocese (called the ORDO by Priests), and it has the LOTH readings identified by section of the 4 books to be read each day. It’s a little harder to decipher but you get all kinds of other neat daily stuff like vestments, lectionary, theme for the day, etc. Be sure and get the one for your diocese, they vary slightly.

I have found it at many Catholic bookstores, it’s a small paperback but a very interesting guide to have.
 
I couldn’t manage without my Ordo and I too was puzzled by the Psalter Week 5 which I found today. I was going to repeat Week 1 and then I saw that next Sunday is Week 1 so thank you for alert to repeat Week 4. 🙂
 
[Yes, I realize this is a resurrected 4-year-old thread]
I couldn’t manage without my Ordo and I too was puzzled by the Psalter Week 5 which I found today. I was going to repeat Week 1 and then I saw that next Sunday is Week 1 so thank you for alert to repeat Week 4. 🙂
Where are you finding Psalter Week 5??

Today, Sunday 6 Mar 2011, begins the 9th week of Ordinary time, which is Psalter Week I.
NB: On this Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, and the days following, the Psalter switches to Week IV.

tee
 
Yes, it switches to the 4th week so that the First Sunday of Lent can coincide with Psalm Week 1.
 
is this true of Ash Wed & rest of the week every year?
Yes. Think of it as the “0[sup]th[/sup] Week of Lent”. 😛
It is also an option to use the Friday III Psalms on Ash Wednesday, at least for Morning Prayer (I’m not sure about the rest of the day off the top of my head?). These penitential psalms are also the ones which naturally fall on Good Friday.

tee
 
I would definetly recommend getting the guide anyways as it will help you keep your feast days straight as well among other things. God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top