Lou Dobbs

  • Thread starter Thread starter T1pp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T1pp

Guest
Has anyone noticed how anti-Catholic Lou Dobbs (CNN Commentator) has become recently? I understand that he has strong feelings on the current immigration debate, but almost every night he uses the American Bishops’ stand on immigration reform to take swipes at the Church and to bring up the sex scandal, as if the two are related. I’m curious as to why Bill Donahue hasn’t taken exception to Mr. Dobb’s nightly comments yet.

I’m wondering if conservatives get a free pass from Catholics when making anti-Catholic statements.
 
It seems to me the persons you should be bringing this up with are Lou Dobbs and Bill Donohue. I’m sure there are ways to contact them online. Go for it!
 
Has anyone noticed how anti-Catholic Lou Dobbs (CNN Commentator) has become recently? I understand that he has strong feelings on the current immigration debate, but almost every night he uses the American Bishops’ stand on immigration reform to take swipes at the Church and to bring up the sex scandal, as if the two are related. I’m curious as to why Bill Donahue hasn’t taken exception to Mr. Dobb’s nightly comments yet.

I’m wondering if conservatives get a free pass from Catholics when making anti-Catholic statements.
Lou Dobbs is right. The American Bishops need to be criticized for their inaction during the great sex and embezzlement scandal and for their opinions on the current immigration debate. Why doesn’t America have the right to protect its borders? Good for Lou Dobbs.
 
Lou Dobbs is right. The American Bishops need to be criticized for their inaction during the great sex and embezzlement scandal and for their opinions on the current immigration debate. Why doesn’t America have the right to protect its borders? Good for Lou Dobbs.
Of course the Bishops stand to be criticized for their handling of the abuse scandal, but not when it isn’t germane to the current discussion (immigration). Although I think for the most part the errors in judgment were more the result of a lack of understanding of the pathology of a sexual abuser than a sinister cover-up. But still, it was mishandled.

Back to Lou Dobbs and the immigration debate. Are you saying that Lou Dobbs is correct and the Magestrium is in error?
 
Here’s a quote from Lou Dobbs: Tonight, the effort to secure this nation’s borders has a new opponent. It is the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church has launched an aggressive battle against the interests of the United States in an effort to defeat border security legislation (Jan 17, 2006 source)

It sounds like, in effect, he is saying the Church is the enemy of American interest.

Does anyone here take exception to being called an enemy of America?
 
Of course the Bishops stand to be criticized for their handling of the abuse scandal, but not when it isn’t germane to the current discussion (immigration). Although I think for the most part the errors in judgment were more the result of a lack of understanding of the pathology of a sexual abuser than a sinister cover-up. But still, it was mishandled.

Back to Lou Dobbs and the immigration debate. Are you saying that Lou Dobbs is correct and the Magestrium is in error?
Where is the conflict between Lou Dobbs and the Magesterium? Do a some bishops, trying to destroy America, constitute “the Magesterium”?
 
While I suppose the issues are very complicated, in general, I agree with Lou Dobbs. If you don’t, contact Lou Dobbs. He’ll probably be more interested in listening to your opinions than those of a Bill Donahue.

Anyone know if Lou is a Catholic? I understand Larry Kudlow of CNBC is a fairly recent convert.
 
Where is the conflict between Lou Dobbs and the Magesterium? Do a some bishops, trying to destroy America, constitute “the Magesterium”?
They are certainly a part of the Magestrium. You think Catholic Bishops are trying to destroy America?
 
While I suppose the issues are very complicated, in general, I agree with Lou Dobbs. If you don’t, contact Lou Dobbs. He’ll probably be more interested in listening to your opinions than those of a Bill Donahue.

Anyone know if Lou is a Catholic? I understand Larry Kudlow of CNBC is a fairly recent convert.
My problem is not with Mr. Dobbs’ position on immigration. I don’t totally disagree with him, yet I would look for a more humane solution. The problem I have is that they were in effect invited here by AMERICANS running AMERICAN companies for the purpose of exploiting them and now we want to treat them like criminals. If they are here and have conducted themselves in an otherwise law abiding and hardworking manner, why not let them stay? But going forward, we should come down hard on companies that solicit illegal labor. There by removing the motivation to come here illegally.

But I still see Mr. Dobbs’ point. The current exodus of Mexican nationals into our county is not sustainable. I just don’t agree with his heavy handed solution. And I certainly don’t agree with him saying that our Church is “directly attacking the interests of the United States.” That is almost hate speech. Could you imagine him saying that “Jews are directly attacking the interests of the United States?” Seriously?

As Catholics, we are a conservative people, but please beware of these neo-cons. They are no friend of the Church or Catholics.

By the way…I’m not huge fan of Bill Donahue. I’m sure he reads these boards from time to time, so I want to be charitible. I’ll just say that I think he can be a little too obnoxious at times , which undermines the effectiveness of his argument. He doesn’t understand the subtleties of debate.
 
You say, " As Catholics, we are a conservative people…" but I fondly remember when Catholics could be and were predominantly Democrats. On many issues we still think as Democrats and progressives. But the party has been taken over with abortionists.
 
You say, " As Catholics, we are a conservative people…" but I fondly remember when Catholics could be and were predominantly Democrats. On many issues we still think as Democrats and progressives. But the party has been taken over with abortionists.
The Democrats used to be the “conservative” party, up until the 1960’s. Then they were taken over by nefarious forces. I don’t think that Catholics should think like the modern “Democrats” on any issues.
 
But I still see Mr. Dobbs’ point. The current exodus of Mexican nationals into our county is not sustainable. I just don’t agree with his heavy handed solution. And I certainly don’t agree with him saying that our Church is “directly attacking the interests of the United States.” That is almost hate speech. Could you imagine him saying that “Jews are directly attacking the interests of the United States?” Seriously?
I don’t think that it is hate speech. I think that it is true that many American bishops are directly attacking the interests of the United States. I don’t think that that equates to the Church attacking the interests of the United States.
As Catholics, we are a conservative people, but please beware of these neo-cons. They are no friend of the Church or Catholics.
Lou Dobbs is anything but a neocon. In fact, he is one of the few good commentators on the cable news channels.
 
They are certainly a part of the Magestrium. You think Catholic Bishops are trying to destroy America?
You’re using the Magesterium in the wrong context. The magisterium is the teaching authority of the Church. Bishops that teach Doctrines that are contrary to the Catholic belief can be outside the magesterium.

Why are the Bishops so vocal on condemning americans that insist on the laws being followed but remain silent on the issue of the Mexican government not taking care of their poor? Catholic teaching is that we must obey the civil law. That means no hopping fences where it’s prohibited.
 
Does anyone here take exception to being called an enemy of America?
Yes, I do! Lou Dobbs is just one of MANY news commentators who routinely go after the Church. Make sure you watch Anderson Cooper’s special on Monday, “Sins of The Father”. Do I need to elaborate, or can you guess the topic? As if this issue hasn’t been covered enough.

Lou Dobbs is not a neo-con. He may lean conservative on the immigration issue, but on most other social issues, he is firmly liberal.

Bill O’Reilly, who I think we can all agree, is a traditionalist, has also maligned the Catholic Bishops for their stand on immigration. He took Cardinal Mahoney to task night after night when Mahoney released a document and gave a statement about refusing to obey laws that may force Churches to surrended illegals they may be harboring. I heard Bill Donohue say on CAL that he used to be invited on The Factor regularly until he told O’Reilly to back off the Bishop. Donohue hasn’t been invited back on since the fall out.

Look, you can drive yourself crazy (like I do!) with this stuff. Every History Channel program on religion bashes the Church. Discovery Channel does the same thing. Everytime Larry King does a religion show, he drags on the same pathetic Catholic “spokesperson” who knows less about the faith than the woman in the pew next to me on Sunday. Draw your own conclusions and change the channel when you get disgusted. FoodNetwork never talks about the Catholic Church!
 
Yes, I do! Lou Dobbs is just one of MANY news commentators who routinely go after the Church. Make sure you watch Anderson Cooper’s special on Monday, “Sins of The Father”. Do I need to elaborate, or can you guess the topic? As if this issue hasn’t been covered enough.
Is Lou Dobbs really “going after the Church”; or is he just going after corrupt bishops and homosexual priests?
Bill O’Reilly, who I think we can all agree, is a traditionalist, has also maligned the Catholic Bishops for their stand on immigration. He took Cardinal Mahoney to task night after night when Mahoney released a document and gave a statement about refusing to obey laws that may force Churches to surrended illegals they may be harboring. I heard Bill Donohue say on CAL that he used to be invited on The Factor regularly until he told O’Reilly to back off the Bishop. Donohue hasn’t been invited back on since the fall out.
Bill O’Reilly is generally a loudmouth and offensive neocon. However, it is good that he is attacking the bishops for their “stand” on immigration.
 
Is Lou Dobbs really “going after the Church”; or is he just going after corrupt bishops and homosexual priests?.
Well, considering that MANY churches have spoken out in favor of amnesty, I find it curious that Dobbs focuses on the Catholic church.
During an interfaith rally at Capitol Hill on Monday, religious leaders – including more than 100 clergy – demanded that Congress drop the House bill and follow the scriptural commandment to “welcome the stranger in this land.”
“In exercising our faith, in our Lutheran tradition, when standing before civil authorities demanding true reform, true justice, we echo the words of another reformer, Dr. Martin Luther, when we say, ‘Here we stand; we can do no other,’” said the Rev. Paul W. Stumme-Diers, a bishop at the Greater Milwaukee Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. “Here we stand, as those familiar with the ones adversely impacted by this legislation because they inhabit our pews. Here we stand, as church workers deemed criminals under proposed legislation.”
The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Frank Griswold, supported the Senate action on immigration reform.
“I urge the Senate to adopt legislation which, while respecting legitimate security concerns, affirms us as a nation which follows a generous and fair immigration policy,” said the Episcopal head.
christianpost.com/article/20060329/4113_Debate_Over_Immigration_Heats_Up_in_Church_as_Senate_Prepares_Bill.htm

If Dobbs wants to indict religious folks for being anti-American, he should include all the religious folk, and not just the current media pinata.
 
Well, considering that MANY churches have spoken out in favor of amnesty, I find it curious that Dobbs focuses on the Catholic church.

christianpost.com/article/20060329/4113_Debate_Over_Immigration_Heats_Up_in_Church_as_Senate_Prepares_Bill.htm

If Dobbs wants to indict religious folks for being anti-American, he should include all the religious folk, and not just the current media pinata.
I understand that there are Protestant sects in favor of amnesty. They should be criticized. However, the Catholic Church is the largest " ‘Christian’ demonination" in the United States. Bishops in the Church, like Mahony, are the most influential religious leaders and their opinions on immigration will have greater consequences then someone from a small Protestant sect. Catholic bishops who support mass amnesty do far more damage to the United States than Protestant sect leaders are capable of doing. Thus, they deserve to be criticized by Lou Dobbs.
 
I understand that there are Protestant sects in favor of amnesty. They should be criticized. However, the Catholic Church is the largest " ‘Christian’ demonination" in the United States. Bishops in the Church, like Mahony, are the most influential religious leaders and their opinions on immigration will have greater consequences then someone from a small Protestant sect. Catholic bishops who support mass amnesty do far more damage to the United States than Protestant sect leaders are capable of doing. Thus, they deserve to be criticized by Lou Dobbs.
CNN has a notorious double standard, so I must disagree. They have run a program now a half dozen times entitled “What Kind of Christian Are You?” The program begins with a breakdown of all the Christian denoms in the US and they state that Catholics are the largest. Yet the entire program COMPLETELY ignores Catholics, focusing instead on smaller sects like those who believe in the rapture or other anomalies. It was an attempt to make all Christians look a little kooky, without separating the different belief systems. Larry King is also notorious for doing programs on moral issues and inviting the same three Protestant ministers, none of whom represent Catholic Christians. If Catholics have so much influence as you claim, then why are their views or events only reported on when it will reflect on them negatively?
 
CNN has a notorious double standard, so I must disagree. They have run a program now a half dozen times entitled “What Kind of Christian Are You?” The program begins with a breakdown of all the Christian denoms in the US and they state that Catholics are the largest. Yet the entire program COMPLETELY ignores Catholics, focusing instead on smaller sects like those who believe in the rapture or other anomalies. It was an attempt to make all Christians look a little kooky, without separating the different belief systems. Larry King is also notorious for doing programs on moral issues and inviting the same three Protestant ministers, none of whom represent Catholic Christians. If Catholics have so much influence as you claim, then why are their views or events only reported on when it will reflect on them negatively?
I was saying that people like Mahony have a lot of influence and should be criticized when they do stupid stuff. However, I agree that most major news sources are biased against the Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top