Louisiana voters approve Amendment 1 to exclude ‘right to abortion’ from state constitution

• Thread starter Thread starter ProVobis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly there will probably be attempts to declare unconstitutional … hopefully the judicial route will not change this wonderful event …votes do matter as does the party one votes for …nothing like this would be a reality in a Blue/Democratic state …think CA, NY, WA, OR, IL and obviously not CO … probably not so in AZ anymore either

Sadly there will probably be attempts to declare unconstitutional
I’m not sure what is unconstitutional about it. It doesn’t Ben abortion, or take deny steps to restrict it. It simply makes puts it in the hand of the political branches and not state courts.

From the article:
“It’s important to understand that Amendment 1 is not a ban on abortion. It simply keeps abortion policy in the hands of our legislators rather than state judges,” Jackson wrote in an op-ed in The Advocate last month.

It prevents a state ruling similar to Roe v. Wade making the right to abortion part of Louisiana case law. It is not often we see abortion directly on the ballot. Good move Louisiana! Interesting it was authored by a Democrat. That too was good to see.

I too appreciate the courage of this pro-Life governor and the people of LA who passed this legislation. It is unusual for a Democrat …that doesn’t change what I said not the hard core Democratic Blue states. Hopefully, LA will hang on to it’s values no matter which party sits in the governor’s seat or their state legislatures. LA may have a D governor but it’s Red on the map.

Lots of Democrats start out pro-Life and some may even reach high state office - though fewer and fewer every year. Once that person desires to seek federal office as a Democrat they begin to lose party support and those that put the search for higher office begin the process of becoming ever less and less pro-Life …the number of once upon a time pro-Life Democrats who became pro-Choice far out number the current pro-Life cadre of Democrats. Gore and Biden are just two examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back