Love AND Responsability (NFP)

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1inICXC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
1

1inICXC

Guest
DH and I are a bit at a crossroad right now in what concerns our marriage and life as a family of 4.
BACKGROUND

We got married 3 years ago and we conceived right away. We were excited about having our first child and largely naive. We were both relatively young (early and mid twenties). We had our first child and for me, as the mother, the shock was indescribable. The sleepless nights, the burden of knowing that everything about this child is in my hands- at least for as long as I breastfed. No longer having a social life (as a young mother in North America you more or less automatically exit the social circles), it was me and baby, day in and night out for 24 months. Dh was around of course, but he worked full time so we got evenings and week-ends at most. Because of the distance and the commitments of other family members I can’t say we had much support though God bless the family for whatever they did do, I certainly can’t say I was by myself.

Anyhow, it was very draining for both of us. It was 12 months before I got a full night’s sleep and was able to start fully enjoying motherhood.

For many reasons we were unsure whether we should have a second or not, so we abstained for about 8 months, thinking that it might be God’s will for us to stop there, but then started using NFP mostly hoping that we don’t conceive. By 15-16 months PP I was feeling much better, our DD was walking, eating everything etc. and well, I finally felt like she no longer needed me 24/7. That’s when we became totally open to the idea of conceiving again, which we did, miscarried and then again, and then we conceived DS who is now 5 months old.

Having the second was in a lot of ways much easier, on one hand because he is a great sleeper, thank Heaven!, my husband works from home and for the past little while he cut down on his hours so he’s more available and my mother retired so she is around more.

Having said that, with our first, life was hard because we lacked discipline and she really brought it down hard upon us - and especially on me. With DS our huge challenge is order. We both struggle with this hugely and realistically it’s only as of yesterday that we’ve started an action plan to combat this. Another huge challenge is giving our 2.5yr old the attention she requires. We do not want to put her in a day care but between my breast-feeding around the clock and DH’s work, she was often times stuck playing by herself.

Where do we go next? I do not feel ready at all for a 3rd. DH just started a new company and we have no idea where that’s going, my mother might be moving away, I’m still breastfeeding and tired, I still don’t quite have the hang of this mothering multiple children. I know that while BFing you are very unlikely to get pregnant but at the same time every act MUST be open to life.

QUESTIONS

For you mothers, were you all ready and OPEN for new life as soon as you resumed your intimate relationship with your husbands?

Is it responsible to say, I’m open to the 3rd child in these circumstances?
I know I would be miserable if I had to stop BFing DS before 12 months, if I had to shove him aside to make room for a newborn in 9 months time when he’s still at such a critical age and if there would be even LESS time for DD. Also, I believe that every child deserves to be raised with LOVE and PATIENCE not irritability and less than available mother.

For those of you with numerous children close in age, how did you manage? What kind of help did you get? How did you organize yourselves to be able to tend to all of them while also keeping your wits about yourself?

What about the responsibility towards the husband and the marriage? I know we need the marital embrace for unitive purposes as well but which overrides which?

For those of you who were in inadequate circumstances for having another a child- be it due to health, finances, lack of support system etc. how long did you abstain for before being open to life again?

Overall, I would appreciate any advice on a loving and responsible marital and family life.

God bless and joy and peace in 2010!
 
I can totally understand and relate to what you are feeling!!

I have 3 sons, 4, 3, and 1/1/2. and have had 4 miscarriages in between. My husband owns his own small company and I am a stay at home mom and night time full time nursing student. That being said…

We recieve virtually NO help from our family whats so ever. I do not have a working relationship with my mother or 3 of my siblings. My husbands side live in a different state and we are hard pressed to see them if only once a year ( at most). My husband and I find that having to do everything on our own has brought us closer. 🙂

Was it easy? NO!! The hardest time in our relationship was def. the first year or so of our life togther. We were still trying to adjust.

When we conceived our 3rd son…he was unplanned. In an utter act of desperation, I went on the mini pill after my 2nd son in fear of another pregnancy while still in school and conceived anyways. We were devastated. For 2 reasons: 1, we had already felt “guilty” about using BC. We knew it was wrong. and 2: we were afraid the pill may have damaged my unborn baby
to tell you the truth–the feeling of BC was actually pretty liberating. We were free. No more tracking, no more abstaining. We had sex when ever we wanted with no worries. HOWEVER, The giult was constant. We knew God didn’t aprove and it cause un needed friction in our marriagr. Also, using BC allowed us to not really “think” about our actions. We became very “sex obssessed”. :eek: Without having to plan or pray before our acts of intamacy, it became more liek “hook ups”. This is embarressing to say, but quickes were the norm, and as we fell away from our Church’s teachings…so did our sexual morals. 😊
We started watching porn together. it is something totally unthinkable now–I can’t imagine how we could have fallen so far from grace. It got to a point where we were watching it was a normal “warm up” routine. THEN toys were involved…as we experimented with toys and porn…our friends began changing…we started haning around people who had more of the same “new” values we had. We were invited to s swingers party–and ALMOST went. Then we wondered…would it be OK to have mulitple partners as long as “intercourse” took place only with me?? 🤷

Luckily for us, the swingers party never happened. and either different mulitple partners. At the climax of our fallen graces, we both felt a calling to go back to church. We made it to confession, received, and with in the following week was “cured”. I came off the pill, began going to church weekly, and praying togther again. We went to a Theology of the Body seminar and had our marriage blessed in the Catholic church.

Now we use NFP again. Every month is a beautiful experience. We have to re evalaute our current siatuation every month. we pray togther, and go to Mass togther. If we feel now is not a good time, we abstain for 4-5 days, We are less carfeul now because we are once agin open to more children.
it is not always easy. Some months I just want to enjoy the marital embrace whether it is the week we are supposed to abstain or not. Some months it is easier then others.
Now, we leave our family size totally to God. We pray to St Anne, and St Philomena, asking that if it is God’s will, that we conceive again. We haven’t yet—but if we did, we would be happy, knwing it is God’s will.
i HIGHLY recommend praying to St Anne and St Philomena. I would say WITH ALL MY HEART DO NOT use the pill. It was detrimental to our reltionship—and without the grace of Jesus–most surely would have been the end of our marriage and relationship.
You can PM me if you have any questions!
God Bless

In Christ,
Nicole
 
it is so interesting that you are posting this. i have been thinking about many of the same things. background on me…we conceived very early in marriage and i had a similar introduction to motherhood…going from 1-2 was not hard, because my oldest was a very easy toddler…going from 2-3 has been difficult, because my 2nd is a challenging toddler that never stops moving. Our new baby was super easy for the first 3 months, but when the teething started that all changed…DH and i have gotten to the point where we are overwhelmed and constantly exhausted and lacking patience. We do not feel it is right for us to add another child to this situation, because our exhaustion and lack of patience will only get worse.

This has been a recent and very difficult revelation for us. We are surrounded by large families, and yet we can look at our situation and know that God has a different plan for us. If we were younger, I’d be inclined to take a looooooooong break maybe 5 years. We are not young though. It has been very difficult to realize that barring any shocking surprises we are done. and yet we have put this issue before the Lord several times and feel that He has made it clear to us that it is ok for us to use NFP. In fact, we feel that He is calling us to be an example to all the Catholics using BC that NFP does work and to trust in the teachings of the church.

God’s vocation for each marriage is different. Reading the book, The Temperament That God Gave You, helped me see that my DH and I do not have the temperaments that would mesh with a large family.

One of the hardest parts of this realization is the judgment I feel I will encounter by all of the people that want to question my ‘reasons’ for using NFP. Being a family w/3 kids that is faithful to the church is a hard road. Many smaller families on birth control will judge us for holding fast to the church’s teachings. Many large families that hold to the church’s teachings will judge us for ‘not being open to life.’ and yet, we know this is God’s road for us and we will carry our cross all the way
happy new year
 
Marie and Nicole, thank you so much for your replies!

Nicole, I did PM you.

Marie, I think I need to get that book because I always look at those women who manage large families and as much as both DH and I wish I could be among those heroines I really do not feel cut out for it!

Since I’m only in my mid-twenties I’m definitely considering a longer (3-4yr) break before we go on to the 3 and 4 or 5th but DH is having a hard time coming to terms with that. Our main concern is that EVERY act of marital embrace has to be open to life- even while you are trying to avoid pregnancy. In all reality, I would be lying to myself, to DH and to God if I said that at this moment I am open to new life. I am completely petrified at the idea of having the 3rd anytime within the next year!
I think that would mean that we should just abstain, which is fine with me, honestly, I’m THAT scared of having another. Dh has many issues with that of course. One, he thinks I shouldn’t be so against having a child right now and secondly because he thinks that this kind of prolonged period of abstinence can be very devastating for our marriage.

I look at it and I feel that it will be more devastating if I get even more tired and stressed than I am.

Which one of us needs a change of heart here?

Has anyone else abstained for extended periods of time (months on end) before being open to life? How did that affect the marriage?

Marie, I completely understand your reasons for not wanting more, but can you say that you ARE open to life if, despite the low chances, you did get pregnant?

I know that prayer is the only thing that can really bring clarity to our situation but at the same time even just your answers were already a great help.

If you prefer answering through PM that’s fine too.
Thank you. Happy New Year and many blessings!
 
You know, it’s funny. We have been married nine years and have five kids. My husband has been deployed a lot (about 4 yrs of our marriage) so the Army really did our family planning. The main decision we made about being open to life was that if the first time we were going to be intimate in a year… then getting pregnant was a something we were facing. Two of our kids were deployment babies, the first was a honeymoon baby… so I guess it just depends on how important not having another child it.

We were stationed overseas for the first 6 yrs of marriage and had no help at all from family and hardly any from friends unless there was some emergency. For the first I was 23 and pretty much alone.

As far as who needs to change their view between you and your husband, I think it’s a little of both. He needs to understand a little better the challenge that two little children can be and you (although I think you understand) need to put the idea of total abstinence out of your mind. That’s a recipe for disaster IMO.

Why not just abstain for a few months to really know NFP then use it? Also, please don’t think I’m making light of your situation, but as the babies get older things will become easier and being open may not be such a difficult thing.
 
, but as the babies get older things will become easier and being open may not be such a difficult thing.
I agree. Since I conceived the 2nd I kept telling myself that until the eldest is at least 5 I would like to take a break and then perhaps proceed with # 3,4,5,6,10, whatever God has in store.

I know myself quite well and while I do trust in God’s providence and love I cannot expect Him to miraculously cook up meals for the kids while I nurse a baby or to stay up nights nursing while I get much needed rest.

How spaced out are your children? what age distance do you feel worked best for you?
 
They all just had birthdays so they are 8,6,5,3 and 7m. I won’t lie and say it wasn’t very difficult at times. Especially with the 6&5 yo when they were younger. I remember bringing home my DD when I had a 3 yo and a 1yo. I can honestly say I don’t even remember a lot of those years. Thank goodness for pictures.

Two years seems to be a nice gap, three would be ideal for me. I will admit that this is the first time in our marriage that we’ve taken NFP seriously. And although it’s not likely since we’re only 32 and 33, but we hope to be done. But being open to life is what it’s all about and if a baby comes, then one comes and we’ll figure it out.
 
Marie and Nicole, thank you so much for your replies!

Marie, I think I need to get that book because I always look at those women who manage large families and as much as both DH and I wish I could be among those heroines I really do not feel cut out for it!
I think it is important to approach the vocation inside of marriage the same way as approaching the initial vocation of marriage. I didn’t assume that I was called to marriage or to religious life. I sought God’s calling for me. I think too many of us that are faithful to all of the church’s teachings assume we are called to have large families, but that may not be what God is calling us to. My DH needs ample time to relax at home after work and on the weekends. I am the nonstop worker that gets things done. However, when I’m pregnant our whole house falls apart. I am sick to my stomach for 9 months and not able to do much. We know that FOR US to have another baby, would mean not taking adequate care of our other children’s needs or our needs. the key here is FOR US. i think large families are a wonderful and beautiful example of God’s love on earth. But not everyone is called to that and small families can likewise be such an example.

Since I’m only in my mid-twenties I’m definitely considering a longer (3-4yr) break before we go on to the 3 and 4 or 5th but DH is having a hard time coming to terms with that. Our main concern is that EVERY act of marital embrace has to be open to life- even while you are trying to avoid pregnancy. In all reality, I would be lying to myself, to DH and to God if I said that at this moment I am open to new life. I am completely petrified at the idea of having the 3rd anytime within the next year!
I think that would mean that we should just abstain, which is fine with me, honestly, I’m THAT scared of having another. Dh has many issues with that of course. One, he thinks I shouldn’t be so against having a child right now and secondly because he thinks that this kind of prolonged period of abstinence can be very devastating for our marriage.I made sure to have several months of good practice charting after our first, so I would feel confident in how to use NFP. Right now we are in the tricky time of the baby is already eating foods, sometime sleeps long stretches at night and I could get pregnant before my period returns, so we are prepared to abstain until my period does return even if it takes 5 months. That right there will tell you that we both are overwhelmed at the thought of another baby. I think back to the year of engagement we had without having sex and how we dealt with so many important issues that most people don’t deal with, because they are already intimate w/ each other. We are using this time the same way and reconnecting and hashing out needs. It is also a great sacrifice I’m offering up for big prayer intentions. I am very grateful that we are both on the same page here. I think your hardest issue is coming together with your husband on both issues: when to have another baby and how long you can go abstaining.

Marie, I completely understand your reasons for not wanting more, but can you say that you ARE open to life if, despite the low chances, you did get pregnant?
Yes, becasue if I did get pregnant I would accept it and love and raise the baby:) The fact that there will be no birth control or sterliization means we are open to life. And only God knows if He will change our hearts in 2 years and we will feel called to have one on our own accord. That is the beauty of NFP. You can change your mind and God is a part of it. I honestly doubt that will happen, but the door is there for God to open.
If you prefer answering through PM that’s fine too.
Thank you. Happy New Year and many blessings!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top