Love Gives LIFE to faith!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seamus_Sully
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seamus_Sully

Guest
…faith energeo in love

…faith energeo through love

…faith energeo by love

“Energeo”: Could it mean energized or animates?

Could the translation be: love gives energy or life or animation to faith?

Is that a possible sense?

THANKS!!!
 
Two common translations of the verse are “Faith working through love” and “faith energized by love.”

You are right that it could mean something akin to faith being animated by love, as if love were the “soul” of faith, in the same way that the soul is what animates the body.
 
Love the site that you gave.

The love and justification is great.

Is it your own site?

Thanks for the help!!!

How far are in theology?

Again, thanks!!!
 
Might a kind person tell me: Where can I locate this teaching in the Summa?

Love animates all of the virtues, including love.

THANKS!!!
 
Where does our Church teach: LOVE animates faith?

THANKS!

If one can, please keep it short.

I need this for my own prayer life!!!
 
Where does our Church teach: LOVE animates faith?

THANKS!

If one can, please keep it short.

I need this for my own prayer life!!!
You seem to have read my article; you might want to re-read the Church statements I quote in there, as they might contain your answer.

As it stands, I would point to the 7th chapter of the 6th session of Trent

“For faith, unless hope and charity be added thereto, neither unites man perfectly with Christ, nor makes him a living member of His body. For which reason it is most truly said, that Faith without works is dead and profitless; and, In Christ Jesus neither circumcision, availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but faith which worketh by [or, is energized by] charity.” (Brackets mine)
 
Passage Galatians 5:6:
6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Passage 1 Corinthians 13:2:
2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.


Just a couple…I know there are more. Really beautiful aren’t they:)
 
Where does our Church teach: LOVE animates faith?

THANKS!

If one can, please keep it short.

I need this for my own prayer life!!!
Although salvation finally depends, as far as the adult is concerned, on his actions, yet his actions depend on his beliefs. Full penetrating knowledge of the faith is not merely a laudable accomplishment for an educated Catholic; it furnishes the overwhelming motive for upright conduct. While Plato was not quite right in saying that all that is required for upright conduct is knowledge of the good, yet his exaggerated expression points up the close connection between possession of the truth and the leading of a good life. Our obligations of welldoing are summed up: “Thou shall love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart.” (Matthew 22:37) Love of God cannot help but well forth where there are deep springs of faith. The truth is so influential that it is practically impossible for a person of good will to know by faith who God is and what He does for us, and yet fail to love Him.
 
Merged 3 threads on the same topic by the same OP.

Please keep all discussion on this topic on this one thread from now on.
MF
 
You seem to have read my article; you might want to re-read the Church statements I quote in there, as they might contain your answer.

As it stands, I would point to the 7th chapter of the 6th session of Trent

“For faith, unless hope and charity be added thereto, neither unites man perfectly with Christ, nor makes him a living member of His body. For which reason it is most truly said, that Faith without works is dead and profitless; and, In Christ Jesus neither circumcision, availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but faith which worketh by [or, is energized by] charity.” (Brackets mine)
Yes!

I am almost finished with the first reading, p. 10 of 12.

I will have to read it at least one more time.

I must say, I have found it to be great!!!

I hope and pray that you continue to write.
 
Two common translations of the verse are “Faith working through love” and “faith energized by love.”

You are right that it could mean something akin to faith being animated by love, as if love were the “soul” of faith, in the same way that the soul is what animates the body.
Where can I find the translations “faith energized by love”?

Thanks!!!

Also, in addition to you understanding and teaching, who else can I read and quote?

THANKS!!!
 
Where can I find the translations “faith energized by love”?

Thanks!!!
I think a footnote in the NAB mentions it, for one.
Also, in addition to you understanding and teaching, who else can I read and quote?
THANKS!!!
That’s a harder question for me to answer. The paper you are reading now comes from a ton of time reading, studying, and thinking. Maybe somebody else has a good suggestion. The only thing I can think of is to start with the Summa, but that’s a pretty tall order itself 😛 .
 
Merged 3 threads on the same topic by the same OP.

Please keep all discussion on this topic on this one thread from now on.
MF
Sorry!!!

I needed help and was trying to get attention.

I did not know how to get the questions out there!!

I will be much more careful!!!

SORRY

Thanks for the help, Michael Francis!!!
 
I think a footnote in the NAB mentions it, for one.

That’s a harder question for me to answer. The paper you are reading now comes from a ton of time reading, studying, and thinking. Maybe somebody else has a good suggestion. The only thing I can think of is to start with the Summa, but that’s a pretty tall order itself 😛 .
Love and faith are needed for righteousness!!

Ephesians 6: 10 Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power. 11 Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. 13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. 14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, 15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all (the) flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit.

I Thessalonians 5: 8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love and the helmet that is hope for salvation.
 
LOVE + FAITH = RIGHTEOUSNESS

St. Matthew 22: 36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” 37 He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

I Corinthians 13: 13 So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I Corinthians 13: 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy, and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Ephesians 6: 10 Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power. 11 Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. 13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. 14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, 15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all (the) flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit.

I Thessalonians 5: 8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love and the helmet that is hope for salvation.

John 3: 5 Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water (faith, baptism) and Spirit (the Spirit is LOVE, Romans 5: 5).

LOVE + faith = RIGTHEOUSNESS

St. Matthew 22: 36-40
I Corinthians 13: 13
I Corinthians 13: 2
I Thessalonians 5: 8
Ephesians 6: 14
Love is First!
Love is Greatest!
 
Love is first and greatest.

First is in the cardinal sense and not in the ordinal sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top