N
nfinke
Guest
Christ says the second greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself.
How does this commandment jive with the churches teachings about original sin, pride, and humbleness? Namely, I don’t see any other point in scripture where God tells us to love ourselves, or describes the emotions we should feel towards ourselves. If anything the church seems to teach that we should think little of ourselves, or not think about ourselves often, and that loving ourselves in the form of pride is the “queen of all sin”. Not to mention it seems like by this rule an ascetic monk might not feed a person who was hungry, or a depressed person might actually hurt someone else.
It seems I need to know just how Jesus expects me to love myself, so I can then apply those rules to my neighbor.
How does this commandment jive with the churches teachings about original sin, pride, and humbleness? Namely, I don’t see any other point in scripture where God tells us to love ourselves, or describes the emotions we should feel towards ourselves. If anything the church seems to teach that we should think little of ourselves, or not think about ourselves often, and that loving ourselves in the form of pride is the “queen of all sin”. Not to mention it seems like by this rule an ascetic monk might not feed a person who was hungry, or a depressed person might actually hurt someone else.
It seems I need to know just how Jesus expects me to love myself, so I can then apply those rules to my neighbor.