Loving One's Self

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epistemes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
šŸ‘

Hi MarieVeronica,

This very topic is a major component of the counseling done by the SPCDC - helping clients understand who they are in Christ.

Epistemes, you might find this helpful:

Who You Are In Christ (pdf)
Thanks a lot for this. This is good to read out loud. Affirming who we are in God’s eye is telling the world that I am my Fathers child, I am Very Important to Him. šŸ‘
 
You love yourself by denying yourself; to give your all for the all. I would be careful to seek after hedonism and worldly pleasures. God the father guarantees his love in the son, so whether it be the sword or comfort, you must rejoice and be glad for it’s the will of God.
 
i haven’t read all posts… hope i’m not repeating…

but there is a line that should not be crossed in love of self…

you can love yourself all the way to Hell… and a lot of people do.

So what does it mean to have a healthy self love and an unhealthy self love?

I think that if you are spending all your time thinking of how to make your life better (and/or your family’s lives)… something is wrong… Of course, if you have a big family, you probably don’t have much time left to think of others outside thefamily… but, well, there are a lot of needy people ā€œout thereā€ā€¦ spiritually needy, physically needy… and there are SO many people worse off than the poorest of the poor in this country…

Then again, there is more spiritual poverty HERE…

Jesus said to love other as we love ourselves… and i think we love ourselves quite well most of the time…

(we may not LIKE ourselves … but we love ourselves… most of us… sometimes too much)…
 
i haven’t read all posts… hope i’m not repeating…

but there is a line that should not be crossed in love of self…

you can love yourself all the way to Hell… and a lot of people do.

So what does it mean to have a healthy self love and an unhealthy self love?

I think that if you are spending all your time thinking of how to make your life better (and/or your family’s lives)… something is wrong… Of course, if you have a big family, you probably don’t have much time left to think of others outside thefamily… but, well, there are a lot of needy people ā€œout thereā€ā€¦ spiritually needy, physically needy… and there are SO many people worse off than the poorest of the poor in this country…

Then again, there is more spiritual poverty HERE…

Jesus said to love other as we love ourselves… and i think we love ourselves quite well most of the time…

(we may not LIKE ourselves … but we love ourselves… most of us… sometimes too much)…
Amen to this post. I get entirely too self-absorbed at times. I think it would be better to look out for others, and try to help others than to keep over-analyzing oneself.

It’s true that you need to be self-reflective and honestly see where you sin and have sinned in the past, but also to get past yourself and love God with all of your heart soul and mind, and be kind and helpful to others.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of work to do in this department. But to me, this would be the ideal way to live, and find the kingdom of God.
 
A Protestant minister once preached in a sermon that I listened to, and I have no idea if it is true…
The problem with high self esteem and low self esteem is too much focus on self
 
You love yourself by denying yourself; to give your all for the all.
Giving is good. There’s no denying that. But as I once heard a doctor put it, ā€œYou can’t give what you don’t have.ā€ If you have low self esteem and don’t like who you are, you aren’t going to have a harder time helping others.
 
Likewise on energy. You can only run on empty for so long.
 
Giving is good. There’s no denying that. But as I once heard a doctor put it, ā€œYou can’t give what you don’t have.ā€ If you have low self esteem and don’t like who you are, you aren’t going to have a harder time helping others.
i used to dislike myself., for the most part…

then i began to like myself (Jesus gets the credit, totally šŸ™‚ )… but i still struggle, somehow… to believe that any human being can accept me/ love me… I mean, when your own mother doesn’t do that… :rolleyes:

oh well… i am not all that thrilled about human relationships anyway… i have not seen too many really healthy and godly ones … 😦
 
I read somewhere (I think it was a Saint) who said that one is supposed to love oneself, not because one is worthy of love, but because God loves you. The same with other people, to love them not because they are lovable, but because God loves them. So it seems the best way perhaps to love oneself is to love God first.
 
My dear friend

I think the secret is to see yourself as God sees you. To do this one must become like God though. Then one can learn to love ones self.

God bless all:thumbsup:šŸ™‚
 
My dear friend

I think the secret is to see yourself as God sees you. To do this one must become like God though. Then one can learn to love ones self.

God bless all:thumbsup:šŸ™‚
what helps a person to see oneself as God does?

one thing is the rosary…

another is the teachings of the Church on the sanctity of human life…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top