Luisa Picarretta & the Divine Will

  • Thread starter Thread starter AngelRose81
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AngelRose81

Guest
Can anyone give me a little more information about this? Our parish is having a seminar on it next week and I had considered going but I read on here and several other places that even though her cause for sainthood has been opened and she is very popular among the laity, the Church doesn’t accept this teaching. Is that correct or have I misread what I’ve seen? I just want to make sure that it is something that I should go to before I go or if I need to stay away. Thanks a bunch!!!
 
Can anyone give me a little more information about this? Our parish is having a seminar on it next week and I had considered going but I read on here and several other places that even though her cause for sainthood has been opened and she is very popular among the laity, the Church doesn’t accept this teaching. Is that correct or have I misread what I’ve seen? I just want to make sure that it is something that I should go to before I go or if I need to stay away. Thanks a bunch!!!
I think you’ll find this article helpful:

envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.3/story1.html
 
Thank you. That was very helpful. Sounds like its not in line with Church teaching at all, so I take it then that the Church does not officially recognize this movement. I had also read on EWTN I think that no one is supposed to be teaching it but I’m not sure…I’m going to try to find a link to it.

I’m thinking I might need to inform someone at my parish that we shouldn’t be having this seminar, should I?
 
Found the link.

ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp

From what I can tell here, some Bishops have approved it in their diocese, but only priests can speak about it, no lay people. ( I am at work so I was just kind of skimming )

Should I go or not go to see what its about? I have a gut feeling that I shouldn’t go…:confused:
 
Found the link.

ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp

From what I can tell here, some Bishops have approved it in their diocese, but only priests can speak about it, no lay people. ( I am at work so I was just kind of skimming )

Should I go or not go to see what its about? I have a gut feeling that I shouldn’t go…:confused:
This is the pertinent passage (ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp) :
In 1998 the now retired Archbishop of Trani, Carmelo Cassati, ordered the suspension in the United States of Divine Will Conferences, because of the controversies noted earlier. While this suspension no longer applies, the following statements govern conferences in the U.S. and throughout the world.
The current Archbishop can only directly authorize priests under his authority, such as Fr. Bucci, to speak on Luisa and her spirituality. However, priests who have a letter from their own Bishop permitting them to speak on Luisa, and who are conversant with both her writings and Catholic theology, can have their Bishop request a letter from the Archbishop of Trani which authorizes them to speak officially. They can then present the Archbishop’s letter to the bishops of locales where they wish to give conferences.
The Archbishop will only grant permission to speak publicly to priests, and then only about the life and virtues of the Servant of God. Lay persons will no longer be permitted to teach publicly, either about the spirituality of the Divine Will, or regarding her life and virtues. All conferences presented by priests without this letter, or by laity, would not represent the Postulation. So, while unable to regulate what local bishops might allow, the Postulation is discouraging Catholics from attending conferences given by individuals without a letter of authorization from the Archbishop of Trani, Italy. (Clarifications 14)
I think you’re gut is right. 😉 (You might also present these articles to your pastor for his (name removed by moderator)ut and ask him if the letter authorizing the presentation was given.)
 
I think I will give this article to my priest and I will most definitely not be attending. Thanks for your help!!!👍
 
Dear Angel Rose,

Follow your gut feeling. I too have been approached, by a very devout Catholic, about Luisa. What I heard was very unsettling. There have been a few “movements” that I have been approached about in Church.

I feel that it is very important to check things out with a reliable source, such as the apologists here at the Catholic Answers Forum or EWTN. Ave Maria Radio has an open line apologetics show that is also very helpful.

A few years ago, misunderstanding about “true” Catholic teaching confused me and help to lead me right out of the church for awhile.

So glad to be HOME!

May you always follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit…
 
There certainly is a lot of controversy around Luisa and I have only just read a few Catholic sites speaking of her and her writings for the first time. I had heard of her but knew nothing about her. Whatever Rome states either way will be good enough for me…
…I am aware St. Joan of Arc was declared a heretic and burnt at the stake and then hundreds of years later was declared a saint. But Rome is still my final authority. I can recall reading all about Faustina before she was raised to the altars, and there was heaps of controversy around her too.

God’s Blessings and His Peace…Barb:)
 
This cause is still in process in Rome and so the Church has not officially “pronounced” on it. However, for us who have been graced with the gift of being able to read the volumes, it is obvious that what God is planning for us is already underway. It is a “gift” that even Pope Pius X was brought to his knees when he read the “Hours of the Passion” There are always “critics” of anything that is new, doesn’t mean that they know what they are talking about or that it is true even. Time will tell. It is a calling like any other in the Church. Even the Divine Mercy was criticized at first. What God is doing in this age is beyond what he has done before. JPII said, in his apostolic exhortation at the beginning of the new millenium to “pray for the definitive coming of the Kingdom of God on earth as in heaven.” The fulfillment of the Our Father, the prayer of the church for two thousand centuries is imminent, so get ready, the best is yet to come !!! All Glory to God in the Highest and blessings to all who have the goodwill to accept His Most Holy Will. If there is any seeming “controversy” about this cause, it is that the enemy does not like to see what is coming, because he knows his time is short !!! Even so, Come Lord Jesus, Come !!! Maranatha, and Fiat !!!
 
I’ve read through the article linked to envoymagazine, but I wonder if the priest is misinterpreting what Luisa Picarretta’s wrote about.

It sounds very similar to St. John of the Cross, where he says that the soul who has been infused with God’s love, takes on the characteristics of the Beloved[God], and then becomes like God. That is, the soul now loves as God loves.

Also, I believe its St. John of the Cross who says that a saint is one who’s will is aligned with God’s.

So, it seems from the article presented, Luisa Picarretta is saying the same thing.

Perhaps you could go to the talk, and take it with a grain of salt?

Jim
 
It looks like she’s been recognized a Servant of God… Which puzzles me, because if someone’s writings are heretical, why would the Church recognize someone as a Servant of God? That would only lead to scandal.

:blessyou:
 
I’m thinking I might need to inform someone at my parish that we shouldn’t be having this seminar, should I?
a good rule is to call the diocese, office of the vicar general, and ask if the speaker, retreat, or other event at your parish has the bishop’s approval. However protocol says you should ask your pastor first, he may not even be aware of the planned event and should be told. If he sanctions it, then call the diocese.
 
It looks like she’s been recognized a Servant of God… Which puzzles me, because if someone’s writings are heretical, why would the Church recognize someone as a Servant of God? That would only lead to scandal.

:blessyou:
that is only the first step and means the cause has officially been taken up. the next step is to gather and examine ALL her writings and speeches, and intensive examination of alleged revelations, apparitions etc.this could take years or even centuries, and is a main reason some causes are quietly dropped.
 
The Cause for Canonization; Luisa Piccarreta ; is now with the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints, which is currently reviewing the cause and taking letters of miracles which have occurred by intercession of same. I converted to the faith in 01/02 and was catapulted through all the devotions in the Church rapidly, to me it is obvious that this is the next step. It is as when one is looking thru a glass that magnifies things, at first you see part, then more, then the entire picture is revealed. What Luisa speaks about in the thirty-six volumes of the Book of Heaven is just a clearer picture of what Our Lord has revealed to us over time thru His Mystics and His Saints. It is what he wants us to see and to understand now. However, who can fathom His Mysteries, which are infinite, no matter what one would say, there would always be more, but there is a thread of truth that you cannot deny, as you read the volumes. It is just a closer look, of what He has always said to us. Nothing will be found that is in violation of faith and morals, that much I am sure of. I was called to this spirituality and it is not an easy calling, it is the calling of the victim soul, it is a call to suffering for souls, it is a calling to share in the suffering of the cross, for the coming of the Kingdom and for the sanctification of the world and so it is not for everyone, but for those who have a heroic capacity to forgive, to love, and to join Our Lord in His suffering state, though always being sustained by His grace. My understanding is that this will lead to the third fiat of God, the Sanctification. The restoration of the state that we were originally created to be in, before our father Adam fell. The fulfillment of the Our Father, the prayer of the Church for two thousand years, “Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done, on earth as in heaven.” Am I qualified to speak on this subject ? Only in the sense that Our Lord sometimes hides things from the learned and reveals them to babes. How do we know ? We just do. Fiat ! Maranatha, even so, come Lord Jesus !!!
 
Hello, I am mhebbeler and got on this site seeking truth because of a pamphlet given to me on the Divine Will movement. I read the ENVOY article and got my answer that the movement is in error and a cult. Thanks so much for your direction. I am a physical therapist from KY and touch the wounds of Jesus every day caring for people with ailments, pain, disability , and burns. I witness to people and am careful about witnessing the truth of our Church. God Bless:thumbsup:mike
 
Hello, I am mhebbeler and got on this site seeking truth because of a pamphlet given to me on the Divine Will movement. I read the ENVOY article and got my answer that the movement is in error and a cult. Thanks so much for your direction. I am a physical therapist from KY and touch the wounds of Jesus every day caring for people with ailments, pain, disability , and burns. I witness to people and am careful about witnessing the truth of our Church. God Bless:thumbsup:mike
Hi, Mike 👋 Welcome to CAF!

May the Lord bless you abundantly for your care for His people.
 
There is a prayer group in the parish where I go for Perpetual Adoration that uses Rosary ‘meditations’ from Luisa Piccaretta’s writings. The few times I’ve gone to it, I refrain from reading out loud the prayers pertaining to the Divine Will.

I’ve read some articles-including the links from EWTN-that have shown reservations about it.

I’d stay away from it until the Church makes the decision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top