"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.
'When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first."
Jesus referred to them as evil spirits.
Which of course in our “modern” day and age, we bristle at the thought of eternal evil spirits
From my own personal experience with compulsive behaviors, I agree that once a person believes they have “conquered” one negative behavior, they better be prepared for the next onslought of all the others that will be equally as tempting to become attached to.
My worst is compulsive overeating, which began after I stopped being a compulsive smoker. Which began after I attempted to control my compulsive fingernail biting. Which began after I attempted to control swearing. Which began after I attempted to control my anger.
On and on it goes. Different series of compulsive behaviors for each person.
Jesus asks us to identify the evil that is at the root of compulsive behaviors patterns that negatively affect our live.
Jesus is also asking us to believe in Him and to remain connected to Him throughout the exorcisms (there will be many).